Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Now Completed Optically Corrected P73 HH Design

Re: Optically Corrected P73 HH Design -1W and NO LINE

Thanx Jordan !!!!!!!!!!!!

This build was great fun....and made this POS winter go a little faster !!!!!!!

See little poem below !!! Hops Inspired !!!!

If you're Fine...with a Line....then...DO NOT WHINE !!!!

BUT....

If it is a SPOT or DOT...You don't GOT.....The " Dragon's Head Design....Ignore...
YOU CANNOT !!!!

HAHAHAHA !!!

Lite'em UP CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

• mr-magoo-1.jpg
    mr-magoo-1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

Re: Optically Corrected P73 HH Design-Completed

Thanx LS...It was a really fun build.....and it came out per the plan !!!
And...showing the internals DOES look good !!!

Lite'em UP CDBEAM=======>

Last edited:
Re: Optically Corrected P73 HH Design - Completed

A few more pics !! Unfortunately...my camera does not have a long exposure time setting....SOOooo...I must come up with a better camera to take outdoor beam shots !!!

Pics 2 and 3 show b4 and after optic correction.

Lite'em UP CDBEAM=======>:undecided:

Attachments

• Front-Ortho View 1.JPG
    Front-Ortho View 1.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Before Optics 2.JPG
    Before Optics 2.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 229
  • After Optics 3.JPG
    After Optics 3.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Dragon's Head Red 4.jpg
    Dragon's Head Red 4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 239
  • Ortho View Complete Off Good 2.jpg
    Ortho View Complete Off Good 2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Congrats CDBEAM! An awe inspiring project ends in success! :beer:
I personally like your choice of acrylic to show off the internals, and almost 1W output isn't too shabby either.

+1 for you and your dedicated staff (Terrawatt). :D

P.S. - I see we've got another poet here at LPF!

Last edited:

Thanx BTG !!! It was a fun build !!! I tried again at a Beam Shot !!
Target....a tree at 55 feet ( 16.75 M).....See pic...Ehh ...:(

As for poetry....yea....Terrawatt came up with that last one !!!! She's a Beaut !!!:eg:

On to the NEXT project !!!!

Lite'em Up CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

• LASER ON at 6MW 5.png
    LASER ON at 6MW 5.png
    336.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Beam Shot at 55' target.jpg
    Beam Shot at 55' target.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 211

Well...Finally figured out how to extend the shutter speed on my Cannon SD790 IS....but can only go to 15 sec max....plus...need a tripod to steady the camera !! I never knew how difficult ii is to get a decent beam shot !!! Will keep trying !!

Also....a speculation....IF the new 520 needs correction....this concept will also work !!! As I said...it depends on what you want !! And what you are willing to do to get there !!!! ????

What does the 1W 520nm beam look like....with ANY of the collimation lenses that have been used....say at 25 feet (7.62M) down beam ????

Per DTR....we get a 22.9 mm bar at 25 feet (7.62M) down beam....see pic with a G2 lens. RTrent....what do you get with the 3E lens ???? at 25 feet (7.62M)????

Attachments

• NDG7475 VS 9mm 445.jpg
    NDG7475 VS 9mm 445.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

the 1w 520 green looks real good with a 3element lens I have not tested the size sorry.

Well...Finally figured out how to extend the shutter speed on my Cannon SD790 IS....but can only go to 15 sec max....plus...need a tripod to steady the camera !! I never knew how difficult ii is to get a decent beam shot !!! Will keep trying !!

Also....a speculation....IF the new 520 needs correction....this concept will also work !!! As I said...it depends on what you want !! And what you are willing to do to get there !!!! ????

What does the 1W 520nm beam look like....with ANY of the collimation lenses that have been used....say at 25 feet (7.62M) down beam ????

Per DTR....we get a 22.9 mm bar at 25 feet (7.62M) down beam....see pic with a G2 lens. RTrent....what do you get with the 3E lens ???? at 25 feet (7.62M)????

AWESOME WORK CD! I love your builds, from the rererere-done schematics to the awesome "front's piece"( i.e. Arrested Development) to the beautiful result. +1!

Thanx Rick !!! Let us know !!! If we need to put a set of glasses on the 1W 520.....We can !!! We have the option !!! If not needed...ALL the better !!!!

Just switch over to a pair of Anamorphic prisms !!! MUCH less critical positioning.....See attached pic....."Extreme Green"......Maybe ????

Lite'em Up CDBEAM=======>:thanks:

Attachments

• Green Extreme V2.1.JPG
    Green Extreme V2.1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 203
AWESOME WORK CD! I love your builds, from the rererere-done schematics to the awesome "front's piece"( i.e. Arrested Development) to the beautiful result. +1!

BD...Thank you 4 the kind words !!! I DO pour a great deal of thought and passion into my builds !!! ... as many do here on LPF.

I attempt to blend looks ...with functionality....against the backdrop of embracing a novel solution. I enjoy going where no one has gone B4.

I also enjoy the aspect of sharing my experience....and giving back to LPF....and in the process...pushing our hobby just a little further.

Just think about the wave after wave of new diodes at our disposal....the new colours, powers and optical solutions now available. Hot Diggity !!! Exiciting times indeed !!!

Lite'em Up CDBEAM=======>:beer:

Last edited:
I think you are onto something regarding a standard that can be used to correct our laser diodes. If all that is needed to correct most multimode diodes to "good 'nuff" is a cylindrical lens, then why haven't we been using these more often?!?! Seems to me that there might need to be a redesign of the aixiz with another threaded, wider section that bottoms out in front of the lens threads, so that a beam expander unit, beam correction unit, or even both, one after the other, could be just lego'd onto the front of the laser! It would only require rotational adjustment and distance adjustment one time, then can be threadlocked so that you just screw it on the front of the laser, a la firearm suppressor like in the movies!

I did want to comment that I really like the acrylic lens holders, and how they fire up when the laser is lit. I bet it looks much better in person too

BShan, Thanks for the compliments !! And Yes....the Acrylic C-Lens holder glows quite nicely....and looks much better in person !! I very much enjoy the look !!!....and the design does showcase the guts !!! Like I said....one either really likes this....or thinks it is WAY to busy and cluttered !!! A matter of taste !!

As for the possibility of having a design in which many could easily access corrective optics.....Well....how many ARE interested ?????? This is NO where as easy a screwing on a Focus Adaptor !!! Optics are a demanding BITCH !!

Since this is primarily an optics discussion....and pertains to Red, Blue and Green....I will post my thoughts in the Optics section !!!! And I do have many thoughts :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Lite'em Up CDBeam=======>

Last edited:
Finally...a good Beam Shot of the Dragon's Head...thanx to my friend
Clickamouse over at PL. He is a professional photographer....were as...I am a hack !!!

A you can see...the internal components are glowing red...like the embers of a fire...and, it is a good effect !!....And... the 520 1W will have the " Green Lantern" green glow thing goin'n on !!! ...If it needs and gets a pair of glasses !!

Thanx for watching the show :wave:

Attachments

• DH3.jpg
    DH3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Ortho View Complete Off Good 2.jpg
    Ortho View Complete Off Good 2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

IWIRE

That's awesome work ! Thanks for sharing it ! Oh, and thanks for being you ! Your posts are a blast to read :crackup: REP +1 :) Not for the amazing work but for your amazing attitude :)

:D
That's awesome work ! Thanks for sharing it ! Oh, and thanks for being you ! Your posts are a blast to read :crackup: REP +1 :) Not for the amazing work but for your amazing attitude :)

Yikes....I am a shade of 680nm !!!! I DO become quite engrossed into any particular build.....and I do have a burning passion to " Kick the Can down the road"....and contribute, in any small way I can, to evolve our beloved hobby !!

I started in the Projector area...built my own projector....and.... in some convoluted pathway....ended up having more of a passion for the HH format. That is NOT the typical evolution.....but....It works for me !!!

The foundations in the Projector area have served as a basis for my optical knowledge. Let me be clear.....that's practical knowledge.....such that it is !!

Foutunately, my work(Real Job) has lead me to have some mastery in Cad/Cam.
Add to that an additional " Hobby " acquired in the last several years...
Machining !!!

So...Add these things together....and sprinkle on a warped sense of humor...
There ya go !!! A " STRANGE BREW" indeed !!!

SO....What's next ????? Where is ALL this " Hobby " leading too ???????
I think we all know !!!! DEW !!! As the Solid State LD technology reaches and vaults past the knee.....So will the energy storage solutions required to supply these technologies. Deposited Optical power of 500 W at relativistic speed.....Not TOO much to ask !!!!:D:D:D

We cannot get around the Laws of Physics or Optics....BUT....I predict we are a far away from that wall !!!

THANX for the very nice comments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

IWIRE

ROFL ! That's cool ! It's great when you can apply previous experiences to what you are trying to solve. Worked out well for you. I do the same thing and apply what I learned from DC circuits when I worked on high line import cars and now I'm a Journeyman Electrician. I do pretty good at making stuff work and trouble shooting. When it gets down to the component level I basically have to start searching for answers. They use laser projectors where I work but all I do is take power to the heads and the control cabinet. I would like to know what kind of diodes are in them :) They have big rooms full of these things. They are about twenty feet in the air and project images down on a jig showing where to place and align up carbon fiber.

I have an appreciation for a warped sense of humor. Mines about as warped as it gets :)
This is a great hobby. Sounds like we have some of the same interests. I have a brand new never turned one piece of metal South Bend lathe sitting in my garage and my brother has been a machinist his entire life. I don't have a place to plug it in. Remember now, I'm a licensed Electrician. LMFAO ! You just can't make this stuff up . :) :beer: