Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New pen style blue-ray...Home brewed :)

VW

I was wondering, how do you plan to heat sink the design? I'm getting a diode soon and the casing is pretty neat...

The PS3 blues do not get hot if they are nicely regulated, the barrel is aluminium so that would help anyway.... I do run a burning red in one of these host barrels, I can light matches and pop balloons without it getting that warm with no extra heat sinking......

Regards rog8811

VW

But wouldn't the added heat sink improve the life time of your diode?  I get you, though...

I don't think it would make any difference, it doesn't get hot so there is no heat to wick away....

VW

Cool... What's the estimated life time of it?

How long is a piece of string.........
I have one that is the same LD, same circuit, same voltage
It gets used 5 days a week and is still running, the thing is with LD's that have been harvested and adapted, there can be no quarantees. All the builder can do is give it the best chance by using a proper driver and using good practice when harvesting and soldering.

Regards rog8811

VW

Hmm, okay. Just thought there might have been an average life time...

hey Rog is it your 7805 Driver can run LG 20x open can diode? if it is what is your recommended set up for that? (current/voltage/parts values), this is the first time i will try your driver, thanks.

hey Rog is it your 7805 Driver can run LG 20x[ /quote]
TBH I wouldn,t go the 7805 route with a red, reds only need 3 volts and this is a 5 volt regulator which is not very good in constant current mode...... it would be far better to stick with the tried and trusted LM317

regards rog8811

Darn, Rog8811 you are a lucky one. The sellers for this flashlight only ship to the UK.
I guess there is no way for me to get one of these. :'(

Why do the seller's state that it takes AA's rather than AAA's? If it really takes 3 AA's then there is something close to it offered in the US but it does not come with a clicky button and it only is offered in black.

found different color's but it still costs a good $25.

I would offer to buy them in, when I can, to sell them pre-modified.
BUT, each barrel has to be bored out to fit a particular Aixiz module (tolerances are quite loose on the modules I have found) So it is not that straightforward.

Regards rog8811

tocket

How about selling the barrel with an aixiz module already fitted to it? Modified with the positive contact of course.

Modified with the positive contact of course
Trouble there is that the positive contact is the last bit to be soldered, after the drive circuit is in place...
On the picture (this was a one off with no PCB), the back of the module is screwed in place, an insulator is pushed onto the wire sticking out of the end of the driver and the contact is soldered in place...then the unit is pressed into the barrel.

Hope that all makes sense :-/

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• module01_002.jpg
    module01_002.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 86
rog8811 said:
Modified with the positive contact of course
Troble there is that the positive contact is the last bit to be soldered, after the drive circuit is in place...
On the picture (this was a one off with no PCB), the back of the module is screwed in place, an insulator is pushed onto the wire sticking out of the end of the driver and the contact is soldered in place...then the unit is pressed into the barrel.

Hope that all makes sense :-/

Regards rog8811

I think I understand this, but a quick question. Is there anything that prevents me from using a Micro-Drive laser driver instead, inside the Aixiz housing.

None whatsoever, as long as it is the correct ma for the LD. If it is the rckstr drive you are thinking of you would need to remove the wires that come with it and rerun the positive to exit on the centreline.
The same problem applies to supplying the modified barrels though, pressing into the barrel is the last operation and each barrel is different due to the range of sizes of the Aixiz modules.

Regards rog8811