Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New high power 405nm diode?

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1228867955/176#189 date=1234664697][quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1228867955/176#188 date=1234664463]
Whatever... ::)
He's still a noob who tries to act all important.

I thought a "noob" was short for "NewBie" meaning new member... :-?
Correct me if I'm wrong... ::)

You probably meant "Boob"... a bumbling lost person with no clue.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jerry

[/quote]
Not necessarily a new member...
Just someone who doesn't know what the hell is going on, or what he is talking about.

[/quote]

Hey Spidy.... you can't possibly think that I'm serious...

Didn't you see all the laughing smilies in my posts....
If you see one like this.... :mad:...
Then I'm serious.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Either way... IgorT is a big boy... he knows how to handle it... ;)

Jerry

IgorT

Depends on how fast you want them to die...

Jesus...

Before my life got rudelly interrupted by a major disaster, i was upgrading my torture chamber for the diode race.

Man, i had everything set up. A cycler, to turn diodes ON and OFF for one minute each (to torture them even more, not to submit to a certain myth), all diodes on their own driver set to the same power (different currents), and all blasting against a photo-transistor triggering a counter. When a diode would die, the counter would stop counting, and i'd know exactly how long which diode made it.

But then all hell broke loose (it was even worse than the shape of the torture chamber in the middle of the upgrade), and i was unable to ever do the "race"..

But from the very beginning i immediatelly got the feeling, that the diode is weaker than a 6x. I got the feeling of degradation, very rapidly. And i knew that feeling very well. A feeling of uncertainty, but still a feeling that the power is dropping, even if it's barelly noticable at the start....

And this was a FRESH Nichia diode, degrading faster, than my good old 6x, which has been through hell almost worse than myself in the past few months...

I am pretty sure i mentioned this. They are for sure real, they are good diodes, but i don't think they are better than 6x's nor worth more.

Of course, my good old 6x could be a random super tough monster, and the Nichia by pure chance a weakling - only a testing of many of each would really proove anything for SURE. With just one diode to play with, it's a guessing game, and since i knew 6x's almost for a year at that time, i said i'd bet on the 6x's if i had to....

So... How many people actually bought this diode and what were the results?
Did anyone do real, hard testing, or at least use their laser heavily with this diode inside at a high power? 200mW or more?

IgorT

I do remember one guy bought one and set to 185ma's... It died after only 45min. apparently. Heres the thread --> http://laserpointerforums.com/laser...showthread.php?t=37889&highlight=Nichia+diode
Its not exactly an official test but i thought that I'd put this here anyways.

--Hydro15

Thank you, this is useful info and i appreciate it.

However keep in mind, that SOME 6x's will do the same. Die in a very short time at a "safe" power.. Diodes can have birth defects that go undetected by the manufacturer. The manufacturers never guarantee the survival of a single diode. Just of the majority for a certain average time.

So this one guy could just have been unlucky. I'll hook mine up as soon as i can.

IgorT

isn't this thread somehow old?

Define old..

And why does it matter? I just returned after barelly making it out of months of hell and stumbled on my old unfinished thread...

But coincidentally, the next new diode i'll be testing is a 150mW Nichia, which should be pretty much the same as an 8x! :eek:

The Nichia Diode

Thank you, this is useful info and i appreciate it.

However keep in mind, that SOME 6x's will do the same. Die in a very short time at a "safe" power.. Diodes can have birth defects that go undetected by the manufacturer. The manufacturers never guarantee the survival of a single diode. Just of the majority for a certain average time.

So this one guy could just have been unlucky. I'll hook mine up as soon as i can.

Glad to help. It is very possible that this was just an anomaly. Like I said, it wasn't exactly an official test. Take a look at this --> http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/sharps-laser-to-enable-6x-dual-layer-blu-ray-laptop-burning/
According to this very very old article the 6x diodes are around 250mW's pulsed... Once again I'm not sure.

You also might want to see a few thread that you missed when you were gone. Like the ridiculously powerful 8x http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=36790

The quite inconsistent SF-AW210 http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=20056

Reasonably priced 445nm diodes.
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=40981

And Nichia going green.
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=40970&highlight=515nm

--Hydro15

IgorT

hope you luck with it ;P

Thanks!

But if it's as real as the one from Susie was, then i won't need luck! I'm gonna be testing 150mW CW Nichia diodes!!! :eek:

The spec sheet looks practically identical except for the specs obviously, so i have a really good feeling here....

And they come with full length legs, like the 100mW Nichia did.

I am feeling very lucky at the moment.. :evil:

IgorT

indeed.. it was so promising! available and tested by igor (i remember?), what happened with it?

manuel

Nothing happened with it. It's still alive and well. It was me, who had to take a visit to hell instead.

But now that i'm back i'm gonna take it all out on diodes.. ;)

IgorT

Glad to help. It is very possible that this was just an anomaly. Like I said, it wasn't exactly an official test. Take a look at this -->

... links, links, links, links....

--Hydro15

Wow, Hydro, thanks again. Since i was away for so long interesting links make it easier for me.

I do however already know all about the 8x diode, since some very helpful and incredibly supporting members did their best to keep me informed while i was away...

And this is why i want to test these 150mW Nichia's... Cos i suspect they are the same thing as the 8x's...

The 6x's however (GGWs) are 210mW pulsed, not 250mW.... Well, depends on the manufacturer of sled, what diode they use, and the optics and so on.. If they have a lesser optical train then they might need a 125/250mW diode to achieve what the "normal" (= GGW) 6x can do with 105/210mW,,,,

Last edited:
I read on L*S*Forum that he was attempting to to get the 200mw c ,but as he ordered they where out... I tried to get him to give the spec sheet for that one as
well no go.

IgorT

He doesn't have a datasheet for the 200mW. He has A datasheet for a 200mW but it's a multimode. But it didn't come from the supplier.

The 150mW diode's specs did come from the supplier on the other hand.

I have three of them on their way to me. Unfortunatelly there was a misunderstanding with the order of the first two, and it went with Priority, and not express. So i ordered a third to be shipped to Scopeguy and re-shipped with express to me.

I really hope i get my hands on them soon. I found more info indicating, that a 150mW diode would be pretty much the same thing as an 8x...

If they are real (and i have a good feeling about it), then, while i paid quite a bit, i'll still get three for less than a single 8x drive would cost me....

But it would probably be a good thing to also get a real 8x, simply for comparison..

Krutz

glad to see you back and kickin', Igor! welcome back! :)

manuel

So have you received them Igor... lets hear the news my man.

I would purely be just inquisitive in the nature of my question. I'm trying to get a meter next. Just have to find a way to keep that one from the Mrs.