Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 6X Continuous-Duty BR Build

http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/kryton-gb-round-3-multiple-hosts-39868.html

There they are. I like how there are Fins for the heatsink, rather than having one big heatsink encapsulated in the head like what Viasho or CNI does

I was kidding, lol. Look at my sig!

Edit: Sorry for the thread jack Larry. BTW rayfoss never emailed me back. It's been like a week. Do they only email you back after ordering? lol. I want a few of those drivers, but I can't justify paying 3 dollars each for shipping.

Mandalorian;

Well lets look at the numbers on the 12X Laser Diode.

450 mw x 1.5 LPF power factor = 675 mw output for continuous duty.

Assuming 26% efficiency that gives a power input of 3.85 x 0.675 watts = 2.6 watts.

For the last two years, I have been operating 3 watt UV LED's with no heat problems, in this same host.

And, I have added more aluminum heat sinking to the host to compensate for the lower maximum operating temp of the Blu-Ray diode.

Misterwilling should have his 1 Watt dual-LG 8X operational pretty quickly.

We'll see how the heat load is on that setup.

LarryDFW

P.S. I looked for size info on the Beast, but all I saw were hand drawings without dimensions or details.
Does it use a #18650 battery ?

Last edited:

daguin

Hell, i searched around in chemical, paintings and arts stores (found Al powder there), and never thought about this application ..... thanks, next week i'm in city and i will check if there is the possibility to find it for this use, and let you know if not (here in Italy, sometimes, is difficult to get the things that you want, just cause they sell only in "industrial quantity", like, 50/100Kg or 100/209 liters packages).

It is used in polishing and "tumbling" stones (lapidary).
It is used in polishing stone counter tops and flooring.
It is used in polishing some metals.
It used to be used in derm-abrasion (cosmetic) as well

Look to gemstone cutters for their sources. With the tourmaline and other pegmatic gemstones coming out of Elba, there should be more than a few lapidaries in Italy ;) You could also look up grinding and polishing media.

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

Larry, by the way, i just had this idea ..... With that type of design, if the surface isn't enough (for heat exchange with the air), you can also just machine the front surface of your heatsink making circular "fins", like 1 mm x 1 mm ..... with that thickness, it don't affect in any way the thermal transfer, and at the same time, practically double the surface in contact with the air ;)

That pic you posted looks great. And yes you seem to know much more about heat dissipation. I'll pm kenom and see how they are. I think he's been saying superior heatsinking to Viasho or CNI, or was that someone else? Anyways tell me more about misterwillings thing?

ZRTMWA

It is used in polishing and "tumbling" stones (lapidary).
It is used in polishing stone counter tops and flooring.
It is used in polishing some metals.
It used to be used in derm-abrasion (cosmetic) as well

Look to gemstone cutters for their sources. With the tourmaline and other pegmatic gemstones coming out of Elba, there should be more than a few lapidaries in Italy ;) You could also look up grinding and polishing media.

Peace,
dave

This kind of came up in the custom copper powder heatsinks thread. Couldn't you mix copper powder with the thermal epoxy to get better heatsinking? And I thought the aixiz module ruined the process of heatsinking or at least made it harder for the diode to dissipate heat? Couldn't you just get Flamingpyro to make a copper heatsink that the diode can fit straight into ? Or would it be impossible to attach one of your lenses to the diode then ?

ZRTMWA;

The Aixiz module IS made of BRASS,

so it is a pretty good heat dissipator on it's on right.

It is also by far the most used module ...

The real direction, needs to be better hosts with better battery selection.

LarryDFW

The real direction, needs to be better hosts with better battery selection

Amen! to this and I feel a break thru:

HIMNL9;

Fins on the front surface would definitely lower the thermal resistance of the heat sink.

I have also been building some new lasers with this type of finned heatsink design to test heat dissapation:

finhx.jpg

There are lots of possibilities.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
HIMNL9;

Fins on the front surface would definitely lower the thermal resistance of the heat sink.

I have also been building some new lasers with this type of finned design to test heat dissapation:

finhx.jpg

There are lots of possibilities.

LarryDFW

That host looks like pure sex! :angel:

mfo

Nice build Larry. Question though, to make the thermal epoxy, do you just mix regular epoxy with the #800 Al2O3? Is there a certain ratio you use? Thanks :)

mfo;

I just mix until it becomes a dark grey color.

Probably about 1/3 alum oxide at most.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Hey Larry, someone posted a review on the Rayfoss boost driver, and he said that the driver has voltage spike issues and it needs a 47nF capacitor across the + and - outputs. Did you notice this issues also?