Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 22x LG dvd-burner, good laser diode?

iccy

I tried extracting the diode from this same burner, and it was extremely hard to get the heat sink off. I hooked it up to 200ma of power and nothing :/. Everything looks intact, too. I must have heated it up to much? I didn't have my soldering iron on it for more than 2 seconds. Oh well, I think I must have damaged it while removing the heat sink. How did you guys remove it? I might try it again, but I'm scared I'll mess it up.

daguin

daguin said:
I cracked one open today. I'll try to get to it before the weekend. I have two nieces staying this weekend, so experimentation is pretty much out of the question.

I forgot that tonight is the Theater with my wife (She's used to reminding me about stuff.). The nieces arrive tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be next week :(

Peace,
dave

icey said:
I tried extracting the diode from this same burner, and it was extremely hard to get the heat sink off. I hooked it up to 200ma of power and nothing :/. Everything looks intact, too. I must have heated it up to much? I didn't have my soldering iron on it for more than 2 seconds. Oh well, I think I must have damaged it while removing the heat sink. How did you guys remove it? I might try it again, but I'm scared I'll mess it up.
200mA should be enough to at least turn it on.
I doubt you heated up the diode enough to break it, you shouldn't have to use that much heat if you use a glob of solder on the pins to get the ribbon off, should come off pretty easily that way.

I've been using some [link=http://alloy-artifacts.com/Photos/tools/crescent_940-6_pliers_wire_cutters_pwa_f_cropped_inset.jpg]diagnol wire cutter pliers [/link] (link is a picture of an example, not my actual pliers). use this to chomp the aluminum around the edges till getting close enough to the diode that the heat sink just falls off.

and you should try it again :) maybe practice on the IR diode first, then once you get that one out do it again for the red diode.

danq

daguin said:
Did this diode lase at 40mA?
yes, it did.
(and I hope that when I get to set up my workbench again, I can find that same diode!)
The way that notifications work now is that after you get one notification, it doesn't send any more until AFTER you visit the thread again.
Right - and so, when I do visit the thread after getting a notification, if there is a subsequent post there I should be getting a notification ... but that's not happening with any reasonable degree of reliability. It sounds like maybe the "notify me" flag isn't refreshed when I read a thread... could it be that it only gets set if I subsequently post in the thread??
:-?
DanQ

danq

that's great, Janette, but we need the price. Recognise that it changes, but what is it right now?