Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mysterious little red dot.

Rosalita Gata

Both of my Sanwu 445 nm lasers produce a dim little red dot outside the 445 nm dot. Does anyone know why.

Rosalita Gata

Can you show a picture of this? I’m really interested to see.
I went to get a photo and the red dot did not appear. Both lasers were running on low battery when I saw the dot. I didn't know this at the time. I just put in fully charged cells and there is no more dot. I'll discharge them and then get a photo.

Rosalita Gata

I went to get a photo and the red dot did not appear. Both lasers were running on low battery when I saw the dot. I didn't know this at the time. I just put in fully charged cells and there is no more dot. I'll discharge them and then get a photo.
The red dot did not make a new appearance with almost discharged batteries. If I were you I wouldn't believe me, but I swear I wasn't using any hallucinogenic drugs. I have seen it before. If it makes a reappearance, I will grab a photo.

The lasers are Sanwu Challenger II 445 nm 3 W and Sanwu Pocket 445 nm 500 mW. I have heard reports of infrared leakage with frequency doubling green lasers when they are cold. I have no idea of the cause of the red dot.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That is really strange, hopefully if it happens again you can get a picture. With DPSS lasers like 532 or 473nm this dark red could be infrared leakage as you said, but it makes no sense with a direct diode laser like 445, or 660nm.

Rosalita Gata

The little red dot came back. It is caused by chromatic aberration of my polycarbonate eyeglass lenses. oops. Please don't flame me too hard.