Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My new IgorT 8x BR

IgorT

That's what I was looking for, thanks! (done thread jacking now, I promise)

No, no, your questions are stimulating the conversation, it's about Franco's 8x lazor too!

It's perfectly suitable to talk about it here... :yh:

Please re-read my slightly edited post above...

No, no, your questions are stimulating the conversation, it's about Franco's 8x lazor too!

It's perfectly suitable to talk about it here... :yh:

Please re-read my slightly edited post above...

slightly edited? You mean slightly lengthened! All good stuff though. Thanks!

Edit:
So you don't measure power output from the diode in your torture test? Cause isn't it true that it's efficiency will fall as it gets near its death? But I guess measuring it wouldn't really matter, because if the power output did drop over time, then increasing the current to account for this would further reduce the diode's life.

Last edited:

IgorT

slightly edited? You mean slightly lengthened! All good stuff though. Thanks!

My pleasure!

I hope new readers can learn a thing or two about degradation from it... Mostly how diodes work - it's all about those tiny imperfections really....

They last 1000-6000h when used within their ratings.... When pushed like we do, we shorten this to a few hours, a hundred if lucky, cos the "erosion" by the photons is so much harder..

Basically a diode is not killed as much by current as by the optical flux at the die that current produces!
For example a current spike kills a diode not with the current, but with the impercievably short photon pulse that current produces...

Edit:
So you don't measure power output from the diode in your torture test? Cause isn't it true that it's efficiency will fall as it gets near its death? But I guess measuring it wouldn't really matter, because if the power output did drop over time, then increasing the current to account for this would further reduce the diode's life.

If by power of diode you mean RAW power (before the lens) then no, i don't bother measuring that.

I have two great lenses here, a 405-G-1 from Jayrob with a broadband coating and a "Nichia Lens", a 0.6NA ultra-short FL glass lens, AR coated for 408nm....

Between the two lenses, measuring the raw power would be a waste of time.

the lenses bring out more than just all useful power from a laser.

But diode degradation before death is just called diode life...
Lenses have nothing to do with it.

I'll measure for degradation every few hours as the Cycler Circuit test progresses, so i can establish some baselines and try to predict the results...

Last edited:

Jaseth

The host is a Romisen RC-A2, one of Igor's favourites! This is the host you will tend to get with a blu-ray build from him, unless you request otherwise.
I have had a 6x build from him in such a host for about.. 8 months now. It is truly amazing - in fact I am finishing off a review of this laser within the next few days!

Seb