Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first laser complete

EzPk

does it has to be 200 mW?
Well I want a 200mW just out of curiosity as to how far it goes. Although I know it's not so much dependant on the power of the laser but more of the atmosphere it's projected in. But yes post your pics ! I would like to see others' builds as well!

If you want a green laser, go for the 32$ 40~50 mW O-LIKE
So you said The O-Like module ? Personally that's what I was leaning toward after reading more around the forums. They seem like they have a decent reputation.

Well I want a 200mW just out of curiosity as to how far it goes. Although I know it's not so much dependant on the power of the laser but more of the atmosphere it's projected in. But yes post your pics ! I would like to see others' builds as well!

So you said The O-Like module ? Personally that's what I was leaning toward after reading more around the forums. They seem like they have a decent reputation.
O-like is one of most respectable shops here.
Check their website, they have instant message programs, so you can get help real time! I've used MSN, Susie is in charge there, always responds fast, and is always helpfull. How many firms have IM support?
Trust me, if you buy of DX or so, you will NEVER get rated power (or very rarely) Buying 200 mW pen laser off DX will get you a 70mW ( give or take). It is always a lottery. I myself ordered 50mW module from O-like, and Susie is always there when you have questions. My module should arrive in a week now. I'll let you know how it goes comparing to my 50 mW green laser!

EzPk

O-like is one of most respectable shops here.
Check their website, they have instant message programs, so you can get help real time! I've used MSN, Susie is in charge there, always responds fast, and is always helpfull. How many firms have IM support?
Trust me, if you buy of DX or so, you will NEVER get rated power (or very rarely) Buying 200 mW pen laser off DX will get you a 70mW ( give or take). It is always a lottery. I myself ordered 50mW module from O-like, and Susie is always there when you have questions. My module should arrive in a week now. I'll let you know how it goes comparing to my 50 mW green laser!
Yes that's exactly the kind of place I thought it would be more of a "gamble" place. Nice ! 70mW eh? I'm very interested to see how that one compares to the 50mW you will definately have to let me know when you get it !

Yes that's exactly the kind of place I thought it would be more of a "gamble" place. Nice ! 70mW eh? I'm very interested to see how that one compares to the 50mW you will definately have to let me know when you get it !
Don't get me wrong. I do not have any DX laser, I meant comparing the 50 mW module to the 50 mW laser I have already :D

I'm also not saying you should totaly avoid DX of green lasers. MANY members here got their green lasers off DX. It is the thing that you never get rated power, that gets me. They are cheap for sure, but that also goes to the question of build quality/lifetime. It is up to you.
But I suggest getting AMC7135 regulator from DX (350mA version). If you jump the rectifier diode, you have only about 100 or 120 mV Vdrop on the regulator. That means you can install the laser in neat 2x alkaline batteries hosts. No need for lithiums. I use it a year or so. I'm thrilles. 16$ 20 pieces. That is 80c a piece if I'm not mistakin'. Good investement for building flashlight lasers with regular batts.

EzPk

Don't get me wrong. I do not have any DX laser, I meant comparing the 50 mW module to the 50 mW laser I have already

I'm also not saying you should totaly avoid DX of green lasers. MANY members here got their green lasers off DX. It is the thing that you never get rated power, that gets me. They are cheap for sure, but that also goes to the question of build quality/lifetime. It is up to you.
But I suggest getting AMC7135 regulator from DX (350mA version). If you jump the rectifier diode, you have only about 100 or 120 mV Vdrop on the regulator. That means you can install the laser in neat 2x alkaline batteries hosts. No need for lithiums. I use it a year or so. I'm thrilles. 16$ 20 pieces. That is 80c a piece if I'm not mistakin'. Good investement for building flashlight lasers with regular batts.
Nice ! I saw those AMC7135 regulators but didn't know much about them. I've only used the rkcstr drivers so far. I and thinking of using a flexdrive for my next build. I was wondering if I should get a flexdrive anyways and use it for the green module instead of the stock driver it comes with? Are they any good ? Also are the modules(DX or O-Like) focusable ? They look pretty much solid state so right now I'm assuming they're just already focused with no need to change anything just add power and go.

Nice ! I saw those AMC7135 regulators but didn't know much about them. I've only used the rkcstr drivers so far. I and thinking of using a flexdrive for my next build. I was wondering if I should get a flexdrive anyways and use it for the green module instead of the stock driver it comes with? Are they any good ? Also are the modules(DX or O-Like) focusable ? They look pretty much solid state so right now I'm assuming they're just already focused with no need to change anything just add power and go.
You will have difficulties finding focusable green laser module. Only finished green lasers can be focusable, there is one on o-like . However the modules are not focusable. You should just get a normal module, try to install it in a pen host, so you have a nice green laser to play with, just to get the hang of green lasers and how they work. I never tried to make a focusable greenie so far, it would be complicated build.

EzPk

Yea that's what I figured. They're already focused aren't they?
I have my eye on this one right now.
I was going to get that and put it into one of jayrobs mini green kits when I saved up a couple more bucks. I really like the design of his mini green, very stylish IMO. It's the best when a plan comes together and you have a finished successful build. Very rewarding.

Yea that's what I figured. They're already focused aren't they?
I have my eye on this one right now.
I was going to get that and put it into one of jayrobs mini green kits when I saved up a couple more bucks. I really like the design of his mini green, very stylish IMO. It's the best when a plan comes together and you have a finished successful build. Very rewarding.
They are always attempted to be focused in infinity. That means that the beam will stay parralel and thin all the way to infinity. In reality it is not the case, because of imperfection of emitter section, where KTP crystal transforms 1064 nm light into 532 nm light.
The constant spreading of the beam is called divergence. Measured in mRad, it shows how much the beam spreads, example: if laser's diverggence is 2.0 mRad, it means it will spread 2 mm for every meter traveled.
Most green laser modules are about 1.2 or 1.5 mRad divergence, which is as-is, you cannot change that. You can with external collimator lens, but the beam won't be thin 1.5 mm or 2mm (the part of the beam closest to you) but it will be bigger.
That, my friend, is the law of optics: the thinner the beam @aperture is, the greater the divergence.

You could get the 0.0 divergence, if the emmiter of the light you are trying to focus is infinitely small. We all know that is not the case. Chip's die in laser diodes are still 10x 30 micrometers (correct?) in surface. You cannot get the 0mRad in red lasers either. You can try that if you can have somebody on the other end of the street looking at the dot, while your laser is fixed in position. You will see that you cannot focus the dot in smallest spot for burning any more. As you turn the ring, dot will get smaller and smaller, until the point it will stop and spread out again. The smallest dot won't be small enough for burning. Not even close.

If you want a green laser that will burn matches (without focusing OFC), 150mW is the lowest power capable of doing that. But since they are a bit pricey, even 50 mW will make you a great green laser that will catch attention of everybody around!

EzPk

They are always attempted to be focused in infinity. That means that the beam will stay parralel and thin all the way to infinity. In reality it is not the case, because of imperfection of emitter section, where KTP crystal transforms 1064 nm light into 532 nm light.
The constant spreading of the beam is called divergence. Measured in mRad, it shows how much the beam spreads, example: if laser's diverggence is 2.0 mRad, it means it will spread 2 mm for every meter traveled.
Most green laser modules are about 1.2 or 1.5 mRad divergence, which is as-is, you cannot change that. You can with external collimator lens, but the beam won't be thin 1.5 mm or 2mm (the part of the beam closest to you) but it will be bigger.
That, my friend, is the law of optics: the thinner the beam @aperture is, the greater the divergence.

You could get the 0.0 divergence, if the emmiter of the light you are trying to focus is infinitely small. We all know that is not the case. Chip's die in laser diodes are still 10x 30 micrometers (correct?) in surface. You cannot get the 0mRad in red lasers either. You can try that if you can have somebody on the other end of the street looking at the dot, while your laser is fixed in position. You will see that you cannot focus the dot in smallest spot for burning any more. As you turn the ring, dot will get smaller and smaller, until the point it will stop and spread out again. The smallest dot won't be small enough for burning. Not even close.

If you want a green laser that will burn matches (without focusing OFC), 150mW is the lowest power capable of doing that. But since they are a bit pricey, even 50 mW will make you a great green laser that will catch attention of everybody around!

Great information ! Very interesting stuff but that's what I found out as I was doing more or less experiments with different focal points and distances. Plus it seems more like common sense that the farther it travels the more divergence there will be. As for my greenie I am more looking for a powerful one that would be very bright and go an incredible distance. The ability to burn would be a plus but I figure if I got one that goes x distance that I want it to it'll automatically have the inherited burning trait haha.

Great information ! Very interesting stuff but that's what I found out as I was doing more or less experiments with different focal points and distances. Plus it seems more like common sense that the farther it travels the more divergence there will be. As for my greenie I am more looking for a powerful one that would be very bright and go an incredible distance. The ability to burn would be a plus but I figure if I got one that goes x distance that I want it to it'll automatically have the inherited burning trait haha.
My 50mW laser can sting bare skin (and I'm not white, i'm PALE), Burn throuh thin black foil ETC... I even managed to light a match with external collimator (magnifier) and fresh, full 1.5 V alkalines. It also puts the dot on anything you can see!

As for my greenie I am more looking for a powerful one that would be very bright and go an incredible distance.
if you want laser go incredible distances then...u should live in like desert or something. but if you live place like that...it would be so cool to point to 10km:drool:. i prefer more to beams visibility ahh beam...so beautyful:san:

EzPk

My 50mW laser can sting bare skin (and I'm not white, i'm PALE), Burn throuh thin black foil ETC... I even managed to light a match with external collimator (magnifier) and fresh, full 1.5 V alkalines. It also puts the dot on anything you can see!
Haha nice ! didn't think anything <100mW for a green could burn anything.

if you want laser go incredible distances then...u should live in like desert or something. but if you live place like that...it would be so cool to point to 10km. i prefer more to beams visibility ahh beam...so beautyful
Actually that's where I used to live haha. But a while ago I moved to HB and the city lights doont really help any of the lasers I make hah. I agree with the visibility very much but I would also like to see it whilst it travels long distances haha (asking for perfect laser? visibility and length? hahaha)

Haha nice ! didn't think anything <100mW for a green could burn anything.

Actually that's where I used to live haha. But a while ago I moved to HB and the city lights doont really help any of the lasers I make hah. I agree with the visibility very much but I would also like to see it whilst it travels long distances haha (asking for perfect laser? visibility and length? hahaha)
If it is more powerfull, it also penetrates more of air sorrounding all of us, (air is not 100% transparent, that is why we talk about lasers' range), therefore it travels farther. Also, more power = more visibility!
Anyway you turn it around,
YOU NEED MORE POWER!!
:p