Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Most powerful laser under $1000?

Right. Since I have a $1000 I no longer have a use for (the reason for that will only make you hate me) I was wondering...

What is the most powerful laser money can buy that is $1000 or less :-?

I don't care if it's a pointer, handheld or lab laser. I don't care if it's red, green or IR (though a visible spectrum is preferred). Reasonable quality build and decent beams specs needed too. I just want them milliwatts!

If you answer with a DIY, you have to be prepared to have me commission you to make it for me ;)

Razako

Murudai said:
Yeah, but you can get this 300mW for far less: http://www.techlasers.com/portable-green-lasers-300mw-p-53.html

I know what you're gonna say 'techlasers? omfg, they r no good!'. Well, I've seen enough independent reviews of those Crossfires that their pretty decent and run at the correct output ;) (Unless I'm being lied too, which wouldn't be the first time...).
LC deletes any negative reviews. Btw if you end up with a defective crossfire you can forget about getting it taken care of. Techlasers is known for having almost non existent customer service.
Also I forgot to mention that the RPL 300 would cost <$1000 if you use the LPF discount. Contact Jack and he will give you 7.5% off any optotronics products.

VW

On that note, you can get the Hulk Ultra 350mW from Dragon Lasers for $999.

Chad

Razako said:
Techlasers is known for having almost non existent customer service.

Uhh, since when? I've contacted them numerous times about both of the screwed-up lasers I got from them, and they've been quick to respond, and somewhat helpful. (if EXTREMELY misleading... :p)

Don't even think about buying from them, though. It's not worth the hassle.

VW

From my experience with Dragon Lasers they were a pleasure to deal with.  I recieved a faulty unit from them once, I sent it back to them the next day and within two weeks, I recieved a replacement without question.  I've also had other lasers from them and all have worked fine, so don't expect faulty units to be a regular occurance.  They did have some issues in the past with under powered units, however I have no idea what that's like now.  I don't think there have been any more since that particular incident.  I'm certainly pleased with what I got from them, I would still like to measure their power, but compared to other sites, the Hulk Ultra is a damn good price for what you're getting. Also you're guarenteed a better product than from the likes of Wicked Lasers or Tech Lasers. Compared to Optotronics, it's a very competetive margin, but for what you're gaining with the low price, makes an almost even choice to go for.

Imo if you care loads about the certification of the lasers power, go with Optotronics. If you like the look of the Hulk and like it's power level, then go for it. Dragon Lasers are a really good company, they've had some sketchy moments, but it seems they're a company that really listens to what the customer says and by now they should have sorted them selves out. But yeah, like I say, $1000+ for 300mW and $999 for 350mW is a ide margin for error on DL parts as it is cheap as hell...

You COULD be lucky to get a decent unit from Techlasers, but if you will get a bad one, you are in deep trouble since TL will probably not answer your email:s where you ask of how to RMA it.. So do not buy from that sh*t company!

Switch

You should be able to get a 5W IR labby.Maybe DIY with a snochina diode, or even NLight? :-/ Could even make a huge portable version with some effort.

Okay, so we've established that Tech Lasers is bad for support. Heh, that's why I ask my questions here ;)

But on the Tech Lasers site it makes it like that Dragon Lasers and Tech Lasers sell the same products? Is that true? Because I mean, if it is, wouldn't the quality be the same?

Razako

Murudai said:
Okay, so we've established that Tech Lasers is bad for support. Heh, that's why I ask my questions here ;)

But on the Tech Lasers site it makes it like that Dragon Lasers and Tech Lasers sell the same products? Is that true? Because I mean, if it is, wouldn't the quality be the same?
It is up to the reseller to test the units before selling them to insure that they are up to spec. Even though the Hulk and crossfire are both made by CNI the chances are that Dragonlasers will test the laser before selling it to you and check for potential problems like mode hopping. Techlasers most likely doesn't test the lasers before shipping them out and just goes by the manufactures ratings.

VW

Murudai said:

Yes and no.  The manufacturer is a chinese company called CNI, they produce the lasers for most of the web sites you see around.  So yes, they are the same lasers, but the difference lies where the companies test and grade their lasers.  What people are saying is that if you bought a laser from tech lasers for say 300mW, chances are you will only recieve a laser outputting maybe 250mW because their laser tests and grading system is messed up.  Optotronics and Nova Lasers are the most reliable compaies, as they generally send out lasers that are over powered, however their prices are higher than Dragon Lasers.

Dragon Lasers had an incident where a few of their lasers were found underpowered, it was only the one incident I believe, since then the haven't been tested AFAIK but it's appears they've sorted them selves out.  As Dragon Lasers had has this incident, obviously their reputation against the other two has dropped slightly, but that doesn't mean they are a bad company, in fact, they're still one of the best.  Their lasers are of high quality and are incredibly cheap, wicked and tech lasers a litterally no comparison to them.

Ah, that would make perfect sense.

So Dragon Lasers costs more because they go to the extra trouble of testing and making sure what you get is what was advertised. Where as Tech Lasers can go cheaper, since they don't fund for a customer support department or a testing department.

VW, you get a +1 rep from me for that post ;) You certainly know what you're talking about, and someone like that deserves more than 0 rep ;)

Zom-B

In my experience, RED has a far more visible beam than GREEN for the same price.

VW

Murudai said:
Ah, that would make perfect sense.

So Dragon Lasers costs more because they go to the extra trouble of testing and making sure what you get is what was advertised. Where as Tech Lasers can go cheaper, since they don't fund for a customer support department or a testing department.
That's maybe a little over the top, more like they have a low price to entice customers into buying under powered, crappy product, their service just so happens to suck too (Wicked is like the oposite, having extremely high prices to make it seem that their lasers are the best).  DL's policy to to sell good quality lasers and a low price and that's exactly what they do, I guess it's their way of staying in the competition.  Optotronics and Nova Lasers have always been reliable companies, Dragon Lasers had one incident (which they even corrected by replacing the units), Wicked and Tech though have had hundreds of incidents and a lot of the time, not much was done to correct it.  

Razako

Zom-B said:
In my experience, RED has a far more visible beam than GREEN for the same price.
Wrong.
The Dx true 50 will easily be more visible than the 200mw red.