Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mech Mods and DTR laser can

GSS

RB thanks, what a collection my friend. I knew there were some nice modules out there but I didn't they were that nice:cool:
Good to know about the shorter of 16340's if needed for 2
Really liking that 465 at 4W!
Just noticed the "helium" pic lol!

Last edited:

Your battery numbers tell you the physical size.
18650 is 18mm wide and 65.0mm long
16340 is 16mm wide and 34.0mm long

So 2 x 16340 will be 68.0mm long so 68mm rather than 65mm for 3mm longer and 16mm wide rather than 18mm wide.

Some brands vary a small amount from spec and protected cells can be a little longer.

You can roll up some paper to make a spacer tube and keep the batteries from rattling and shake them out if it's a snug fit, the 3mm extra length can be lost in the spring or some are telescoping.

26650 is 26mm wide just like C - cell alkaline batteries but 650 is longer.

A 4 C-cell Maglite will fit 3 x 26650 with the addition of a small spacer, that's good as you make the spacer with a button top if you want to repurpose the switch, the bulb end also needs some work.

But the first 2 digits are width, the last 3 are length with a decimal point before the last.

14500 is 14mm wide and 50.0mm long just like an AA alkaline.

p.s. The aspire has no visible spring, its a tight fit with an 18650, there may be a little give up top and the end cap could be half screwed on, but there are a lot of telescoping mods available. Also you can use a boost driver and a good quality LG INR battery for bigger diodes, just watch that duty cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Thx Red, How did I not know this about batteries? At times I think i'm kinda bright but alot of things like this just go over my head:eek: Its been way to long since iv'e been out of school:whistle:

Last edited:

OVNI

In addition to manufacturer variation in size, there are also flat top and button top batteries available. Using flat top batteries in series can sometimes be problematic when the flat top isn't raised enough to make good contact with the battery in front of it. In those cases you can use a small magnet to, in effect, put a button on it. You still pick up the space not taken by the missing button on the flat top battery in front of it.

iU1Cyxlm.jpg

I've had both custom laser hosts and mechanical mods where space is very tight and had to use some combination of the above. I've been getting these 5/16" Dia x 1/32" thick magnets at K&J Magnetics.

d4EtL0Um.jpg

In addition to manufacturer variation in size, there are also flat top and button top batteries available. Using flat top batteries in series can sometimes be problematic when the flat top isn't raised enough to make good contact with the battery in front of it. In those cases you can use a small magnet to, in effect, put a button on it. You still pick up the space not taken by the missing button on the flat top battery in front of it.

iU1Cyxlm.jpg

I've had both custom laser hosts and mechanical mods where space is very tight and had to use some combination of the above. I've been getting these 5/16" Dia x 1/32" thick magnets at K&J Magnetics.

d4EtL0Um.jpg

I sometime use battery magnets but worry about them moving out of center and making contact with the case. Mostly I solder a bead on the positive end of the flat tops

Last edited:

OVNI

I sometime use battery magnets but worry about them moving out of center and making contact with the case. Mostly I solder a beed on the positive end of the flat tops

I've thought about the shorting scenario too and may go to a smaller diameter magnet. But on soldering, you are a braver man than me. I get nervous bringing that much heat that close to a battery, not to mention a Li-Ion battery. With my luck, it would probably go something like this:

viSVJ7z.gif

Last edited:
You are a braver man than me. I get nervous bringing that much heat that close to a battery, not to mention a Li-Ion battery. With my luck, it would probably go something like this:

viSVJ7z.gif

Lol, np, been soldering to batteries since I was a kid

Hi RB,
nice job done buddy, i just ordered 1- red and 1-blue Aspire CF they are really nice mods. I also found a adapter that fits the Aspire CF mods to tilt the module or tank to the side . It's made for the Aspire CF. I posted a thread on it And it's around $8.00 shipped and built very well and easy to apply..Well you have an awesome collection on CF mods . I can't get enough of them.. +Reps for this one it caught my interest in 510 mods once more Pal..

Rich:)

DTR has that mitsu single mode 180 638 that would look good and even nicer would be that single mode 4216 I don't yet have a 515nm and single mode I think it's next on my list.
The single mode BLUE would go well with these too.

My Multi Mode 445 was making a little lens flare that I had to do something about, so I did a temp fix that I can break off later with some UV glue and black cardstock, it makes the spot nice and clean. Yes it's a red neck fix but I like a clean dot, and no spray. I think the single modes are best for these modules, but it's a free country.

p.s. you can get a ready to use single mode module, just click the red green or blue and pick one, screw it onto a mod and viola, Remember safety first.

Attachments

• SANY0592.JPG
    SANY0592.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 55
  • SANY0595.JPG
    SANY0595.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Your battery numbers tell you the physical size.
Some brands vary a small amount from spec and protected cells can be a little longer.
Yes, exactly Red and here's some of my batteries and their differences.
Protected just don't fit the Aspire.
pro_2A2A1476.jpg

RB thanks, what a collection my friend. I knew there were some nice modules out there but I didn't they were that nice:cool:
Good to know about the shorter of 16340's if needed for 2
Really liking that 465 at 4W!
Just noticed the "helium" pic lol!
Thank you, glad you liked them mate.
Yes it's a bonus to be able to get 8.2v for the modules that can take it.
Amazing to have 1W green, 4W blue etc out of these mods and amazing to see the burning power of the 405nm out of just one 16340 is awesome.
Glad you liked the Helium Levitation shot. :D

Here's a few of my other Mech Mod bodies:
The "Maraxus", "The Hammer" with it's unusual side fire button and the "Black Stingray".
pro_2A2A1468.jpg

DTR has that mitsu single mode 180 638 that would look good and even nicer would be that single mode 4216
The single mode BLUE would go well with these too.
Red, I'm planning on buying some single modes soon. :beer:
Thanks for that.

Also a big thank you to Rich (Lifetime17) for putting me onto these great Mods, I didn't know they even existed.

:)

RB

Yes, exactly Red and here's some of my batteries and their differences.
Protected just don't fit the Aspire.
pro_2A2A1476.jpg

Thank you, glad you liked them mate.
Yes it's a bonus to be able to get 8.2v for the modules that can take it.
Amazing to have 1W green, 4W blue etc out of these mods and amazing to see the burning power of the 405nm out of just one 16340 is awesome.
Glad you liked the Helium Levitation shot. :D

Here's a few of my other Mech Mod bodies:
The "Maraxus", "The Hammer" with it's unusual side fire button and the "Black Stingray".
pro_2A2A1468.jpg

Red, I'm planning on buying some single modes soon. :beer:
Thanks for that.

Also a big thank you to Rich (Lifetime17) for putting me onto these great Mods, I didn't know they even existed.

:)

RB

Hi, RB,

thats what were here for to help everyone to achieve their goals in this awesome hobby glad you hookedup buddy

Nice I really want that 4216 I don't have anything in 515nm, it's supposed to be really green.

Hi red,
I have a 510nm in a ehgumus host i built a while ago, the beam is really sweet buddy, get that 4216 you will like it..

I love the BDR-209, but it is an expert level laser, very dangerous although it looks like a mystic purple.

This is an early gen 1 22mm I adapted to a skyray, but I want thae 4216 also in the gen2 with that nice focus cap.

I will do a better clip later, this single mode diode carries a long way, so you must be very carful with it.

51151d1461376897-mech-mods-dtr-laser-can-sany0597.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0597.JPG
    SANY0597.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 168
  • SANY0601.JPG
    SANY0601.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

OVNI

I just got this Tesla Fire Phoenix 0.1 Mechanical MOD for about $25 shipped on eBay. It also has the 5-click/2-sec ON/OFF feature (specs online were inconsistent so I tested it). Feels nice and solid, has some weight. There is a set screw for the 510 threaded module and one in the tail cap for the battery. The other end of the battery compartment is a fixed cylindrical piece of metal. So no springs front or back in the battery compartment. Button-top 18650 was too big to get the tail cap flush with the host but a flat-top battery worked well after some screw adjustments. Nice gift box.

In the flash pictures you can see the design in the side-fire momentary button. Around the button is an LED that indicates the charge of the battery. It also flashes in response to turning it ON or OFF. The color of the host is more like the non-flash pictures, flat black and not gray. The grip has a rubbery feel, won't slip in your hand, much like the sleeve my iPhone came in.

joSPcSSl.jpg
uHnH8kDl.jpg

DyTCq4al.jpg
AzsY6m3l.jpg