Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low cost IR-Laser?

ineedadamnirlaser

Hello,
I need a laser that the human eye cant see without gadgets, something like a PEQ the military uses. The problem is i might need more than one of those lasers but i dont have the resources to buy like ~5 PEQs, to then built out the lasers and throw away the rest.

My question is if there is a company that makes >780nm lasers that are affordable.

Like i can buy red dot lasers for 3 bucks.

Thanks in advance.

fleefly

U can just buy a cheap 532nm green laser pointer,remove the crystal on the top of the IR diode. U'll get a 808nm low cast IR laser.

Hello,
I need a laser that the human eye cant see without gadgets, something like a PEQ the military uses. The problem is i might need more than one of those lasers but i dont have the resources to buy like ~5 PEQs, to then built out the lasers and throw away the rest.

My question is if there is a company that makes >780nm lasers that are affordable.

Like i can buy red dot lasers for 3 bucks.

Thanks in advance.
I am confused. The highlighted text in your original message is a contradiction.

Are you using the phrase "like a PEQ" to simply refer to any style of infrared lasers?
ATPIAL / PEQ-15 -> Advanced Target Pointer Illuminating Laser made by L3 Harris. "Build out the lasers"? That's what a PEQ is.

So are you trying to find lower cost alternatives to the L3 Harris model, while still maintaining the original functionality? Or, are you simply trying to acquire an IR laser pointer? There is an enormous difference between the two.

I've made a replica / better version of the PEQ myself for a lot less than $2k. Would I be willing to divulge that info or sell one? You would have to pass a full background check at a credible FFL dealer... and even then it is a maybe. Those things are ITAR regulated out the wazoo. Your post didn't inspire too much confidence, and that would be if you only needed ONE - let alone 5.

The IR diode in the above mentioned 532nm pointer will have about 200+ mW. Maybe overkill for Night Vision if that's the application. Next best... Get IR diode from sled that everyone bought back in the day to extract high powered red diodes (DVD), or 405nm violet diode (Blu ray). Yes, just a few years ago everyone on ebay did not sell the diodes, not at least new ones. Diodes of interest were nearly always harvested. No new diodes available. Like when 405nm diodes first came out... I sold a 10mW SANYO diode at $1800 to $2000 each. The first harvest I know of was , what, PS3, I think. I met a guy in CA who stood in line at FAO Swartz and got two units at $600 each. He was at FedEX shipping both as he sold them for $1200 each! The blue ray systems were lower cost than the raw diodes and the extractions began. Those sleds with 405nm diodes later cost $60. And now, like you said, maybe $3 for those 405nm diodes like the diode you mention.
Even better solution- find an old CD player. They use a low powered 780nm diode. The diode may be in a rectangular plastic mount. Both 780 nm and the 808nm, although IR, can still be seen as a deep red glow by many. The invisible IR diodes are typically 830nm, or 850nm. Can not be seen by the human eye, unless shined at the bionic eye of $6MM Man.

I have Collimated dot ir lasers diodes available. I believe they are 20-30mw around 780nm. 10 pack for $20 shipping included.

If you want an IR laser for night vision then here's a 350mw VCSEL IR laser illuminator