Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for star pointer

Fizzy

Hello, I am looking for a good green laser for star pointing. I live in a cold climate so 520nm would probably be better (right?). I think 20-30mw is best for star pointing (correct me if I am wrong). If possible it would be best if it had a on off switch instead of a push button. Any ideas on the best laser? Thanks!

They actually have 505nm now, which is the brightest beam you can see in the night sky with your eyes adjusted to the dark. Buuut the question is how much power you want to keep it under, because you can get a brighter beam from a 30mw 520 than a 20mw 505. It's just a matter of how safe you want it to be. In a perfect world you could use a 5-10mw (edit: maybe 10-20mw) 505nm laser, but it's hard to find any less than 30mw to begin with.

Here's a tool for beam brightness calculations

These guys know their stuff, but all you can get is 50mw. If you ask around you might be able to get them to turn down the power for you to something safer if that's a concern

Here's a cheap 520, but you'll have no idea what power it's at. I would guess 30-50mw, and I cannot tell you what quality of product it is but it really looks cool. Same with anything else on ebay
cheap 520 ebay