Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED's from mxdl mods?

Maybe a DIY Merry Christmas logo or something? Just draw it out onto a sheet of wood and drill small holes around the outlines that are big enough to fit the LEDs into, then just connect them all up and add power :)

You can add a quick chasing light effect or something like that from these light effect boards you can buy in maplin.

I hope you are right about those being 3.4v because if I do use two of these i wanna make sure that I buy the right power source. as long as these are not 5.5v then they should be the 3.4v.

chaosfourever said:
I hope you are right about those being 3.4v because if I do use two of these i wanna make sure that I buy the right power source. as long as these are not 5.5v then they should be the 3.4v.
even if it is 5.5v and you run it at 3.4v then you should be ok, you wont blow it if you go under the max rating, its always good start lower and your way up than to start to high and be screwed.

Liberty1992 said:
[quote author=chaosfourever link=1226182521/0#17 date=1227470378]I hope you are right about those being 3.4v because if I do use two of these i wanna make sure that I buy the right power source. as long as these are not 5.5v then they should be the 3.4v.
even if it is 5.5v and you run it at 3.4v then you should be ok, you wont blow it if you go under the max rating, its always good start lower and your way up than to start to high and be screwed.[/quote]
Not really. You'll need a higher psu voltage than the LED voltage. Otherwise it wont light up at all. What you also need is something to limit the current, a resistor or driver. ;)

Edit: Has anyone tried to remove the phosphor yet? Did it work?

Benm

Stop blowing up these poor leds, those luxeons used to be the cream of the crop back in their day ;) And i guess they are still fine for applications that dont need maximum efficiency.

Also, they make nice dummy loads for laser diode drivers with clear optical feedback :)

Edit: Has anyone tried to remove the phosphor yet? Did it work?

Why would you do that? Getting a blue power led seems easy enough. I reckon removing the phosphor (if possible at all) would expose the led chip to the elements - cant be good for lifetime...

For the lulz I guess, just to see if it can be done :). I have a few old luxeons or "lumileds" myself but none are white. Except from a star/o but I'm not destroying that.

And I use them as dummy loads btw. :D

Thig is im gonna use 2 of these with two 3.6v batteries and a 1ohm resistor so i wanna make sure that i have enough power.

Benm

Might work, but leaves little room for any current stabilisation or battery drop...

Danjoo

Same for me I have a lot of MXDL Leds laying around.
Normally i use a halogen flood light to light up my working place.
This cost alot of power, this is main reason i want to build a LED Solution.

Last night i build this MXDL Floodlight Spot with things i have laying around.
Exclude the driver this one is ordered spezially for this project.

I use this Driver:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13690

5 leds in series i measure 6amp current for all together that means they run aproxximinatly at 1200ma each. :cool: :eek:

I dont know exactly all sources from this leds. One is warm white the others are cold white.
For the fan I add a resistor that the fan is running but not to loud.
I dont know the exact data i just combine a few resistor till i reach my wish rpm.

Voila:
(Ugly but Working)

Daniel

Attachments

• mxdl_001.jpg
    mxdl_001.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 147

Krutz

very nice, daniel!
i like the "rough" look, sturdy, powerful! :)

i tried to dissolve the epoxy off some 1w leds with acetone. the regular ones in shape of a 5mm led, just bigger, didnt change at all in acetone. the one which looks like the die directly glued onto a star board did, the glue loosened and could be peeled off to see the naked die. but even before touching the board/led at all it didnt light any more, it died in the acetone.
stronger solvents, anyone? :)

manuel

FireMyLaser said:
[quote author=Liberty1992 link=1226182521/0#18 date=1227471298][quote author=chaosfourever link=1226182521/0#17 date=1227470378]I hope you are right about those being 3.4v because if I do use two of these i wanna make sure that I buy the right power source. as long as these are not 5.5v then they should be the 3.4v.
even if it is 5.5v and you run it at 3.4v then you should be ok, you wont blow it if you go under the max rating, its always good start lower and your way up than to start to high and be screwed.[/quote]
Not really. You'll need a higher psu voltage than the LED voltage. Otherwise it wont light up at all. What you also need is something to limit the current, a resistor or driver. ;)

Edit: Has anyone tried to remove the phosphor yet? Did it work?[/quote]

Don't try and remove the die, it will not work, it is EPI grown onto the GaN die below. If you want, I can sell you some of the blue LEDs that are under the phosphor, I have about 47 of them.

danq

Krutz said:
stronger solvents, anyone?
Lacquer thinner often does the job, where others just sit there and evaporate up yer nose to dissolve your brain (but so will the l.t.)

Danjoo said:
5 leds in series i measure 6amp current for all together that means they run aproxximinatly at 1200ma each.
if they're in series, they're each and all getting 6 amps!
but that DX driver you used says output regulated to 320mA ???

maybe you put them in parallel?
but then the voltage (16-26V) is too high... I need enlightenment :-?

DanQ

Danjoo

i dont know why they write 350ma?

I measure between the driver and the leds. I think its Proper measured.
It looks like i make small mistake with decimal point!!
But its to difficult to measure again now, everything is hotglued. :-/

And the run really in series, from driver+, to led1+, from led1-, direkt to led2+, and so on.
Otherwise no chance because of the voltage is not splitted in parallel.
This way i have 22 volt measured, like i remember, its 4,4 volt each led.

Daniel

danq

Danjoo said:
i dont know why they write 350ma?

I measure between the driver and the leds. I think its Proper measured.
It looks like i make small mistake with decimal point!!
But its to difficult to measure again now, everything is hotglued.  :-/
yeah... someone on that DX page commented about poor regulation, so you likely are getting >350mA.
maybe 600mA?

either way, you have a very bright light!
:)
DanQ

Are they just 5mm LED's? If so they are only worth a few cents each.. Trow them out or make something cool called a led throwie. Google it. :)