Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED Orb 2.0

Someone stole your video and didn't even post your name anywhere (except at the end), that sucks!

mudgod

Signed up just to comment on this. Amazing stuff :)
Depending on how much it cost (parts) why don't you
1) patent it
2) start selling it

I for one would definitely buy it (obv depending on price) and considering how many hits you're getting should be able to net a decent sum if not a future business itself. Hello college $$$?
You could probably get some third party to create the base / wood parts cheaper while you or a friend do the 'proprietary' LED/controller/wiring/soldering.
If it pans out and you get the patent stuff sorted out could just farm it out to a factory etc :)

If this is anything like my projects, he has so many hours into this one ball that nobody would consider paying him a decent amount for it, also the cool factor is diminished if everyone has one!

mudgod

If this is anything like my projects, he has so many hours into this one ball that nobody would consider paying him a decent amount for it, also the cool factor is diminished if everyone has one!

Wasn't talking about selling the one he made but leveraging the idea into making money :). He's definitely got insane skills. Even if he makes a 100 bucks profit (I have no idea on the labor + parts costs to project manufacturing cost) and sells a 100 thats a cool 10k profit.
Can then leverage the experience into other projects etc :)

I've seen similar stuff in other aspects. If you go to avsforum, they were using prisms (100-150 for prisms + mount) to stretch images and some guy in australia streamlined manufactured and sold them (for 400-500) instead of the jury-rigged mounts people were creating
Another guy was doing similar stuff for low-noise PC fans

I may be completely wrong but it def seems like a worthwhile endeavor to me

Reactions: ARG

Tenshi

Okay I know I'm probably very selfish right now but can you also upload a zip of the image's to my private server (please PM me for address and password, I like to keep data flow limited because of my SSSSLLLOOWWW conection).

My dad does not get how you rotate around 3 axis and transmit the power to the inner axis, so I want to have the pictures so I can explain it better to him. :)

EDIT: Also great work this thing should be on every raver party.

Last edited:

Tenshi

I just found out something about this board and that is that every user has a "picture album".
Isn't it possible to upload the pictures of you're LED orb there and re-embed them in this thread?
Instead of using an overused free photobucket account? (sorry)
That way people don't have to ask anymore to get the pictures uploaded somewhere if this works and I do hope so.

PS. I just thought that this should be in an separate post not in an edit because of possible new and hopefully relevant information.

I have hundreds of pictures linked to this forum on photo bucket, there is no way I can move them all. I'm just gonna wait till the bandwidth limit resets itself.

Tenshi

You probably already know this but with that many photo's and a board as popular as this one there are only mere hours if not minutes before you are over your limit again and people can't see them again for quite some time.

May I suggest you make an Youtube slide shows instead?
The HD quality can give some good feed back.
Plus it won't go over a bandwidth limit like a free Photobucket.

^we'll see what happens. For now I'm just gotta let it roll.

Someone copied my video on youtube, I would appreciate if it got taken down.
YouTube - Spinning RGB LED Ball II

I'd flag it as spam/fraud. Sorry for asking you all to be my personal army :angel:

I Flaggged it for you and posted a comment, it makes me mad when someone will come along and claim someone's project as theirs especially with hard work like that.

I can't read Spanish too well but it says something like "a system of LEDs that reacts to music" but I don't know the last sentence. Anybody got the last sentence?

HIMNL9

If you mean about "un systeme de led qui réagi selon la musique. inutile donc vitale", it's French, not spanish :p ;) ..... it means "a led system that react following the music. unhelpful, then indispensable" (more or less, my french is a bit rusty :p)

French and Spanish are pretty much the same thing :D

Don't let my old Spanish teacher hear that tough! (I thought that was Spanish!)

Yeah I know, but I can't watch it on-line. They did come to me though asking for my permission first.

Hi,

New member, signed up to say the following:

1) Awesome. So awesome I'm now starting to build my own. Will post once complete (gonna be a few months as am very busy)

2) Everyone is asking to see the detailed pictures. I have a photobucket bandwidth limit workaround! If you just save the page (complete for offline viewing), all the pictures download correctly. Must be some kind of bug in photobucket's system, but it should allow everyone to see all the pics.

3) Thanks very much for posting the detailed pics etc. Mine is going to have some modifications (hopefully full and independent speed control on all 3 axes), and possibly LED pulsing on the LEDs independently. We'll see how things shape up but this is my first ever project using micro-controllers so wish me luck!

Edit - This workaround no longer seems to work. However, if you right-click on each image one by one, and click "Copy link location", then open a new tab and paste the link in and open, the image will be displayed. If you then save the web page, the image will be saved in the correct position on the page. I know it's extremely tedious to do this for each image as there are lots, but if you are desperate, as I was, then this is a (laborious) way to get to see them all. Hope this helps the more determined amongst us.

Last edited: