Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers in australia

Hey guys,

Laser hobbiest just like you here all the way in australia
Our laws are insane regarding lasers, well, atleast for the people like us haha.

Where are places i can get high power diodes without customs interviening?
And ive seen this law that says if youre part of an approved astronomical organisation you dont need a permit to buy lasers. But does that apply to all power lasers within australia?
Where are places i can extract high power laser diodes from regular technology? Ive heard you can get laser diodes up to 400mw from dvd rw burners, can you guys link me some good ones to extract them from please? The higher power the better haha (I do have multiple pairs of high OD goggles amount a wide varity of ranges so worry not!)

Be careful posting about lasers as we have had members lose their lasers just by showing them off in Australia. Welcome to the LPF.

Hey guys,

Laser hobbiest just like you here all the way in australia
Our laws are insane regarding lasers, well, atleast for the people like us haha.

Where are places i can get high power diodes without customs interviening?
And ive seen this law that says if youre part of an approved astronomical organisation you dont need a permit to buy lasers. But does that apply to all power lasers within australia?
Where are places i can extract high power laser diodes from regular technology? Ive heard you can get laser diodes up to 400mw from dvd rw burners, can you guys link me some good ones to extract them from please? The higher power the better haha (I do have multiple pairs of high OD goggles amount a wide varity of ranges so worry not!)
I ship to Australia quite often without any issues...

Sure, one can ship lots of stuff basically anywhere as they don't open every package. I have received things in the US that normally would be illegal. But, I would be careful posting about lasers that are illegal in Australia as at least one member here had all his lasers seized by the police there after posting many photos of them.

Sure, one can ship lots of stuff basically anywhere as they don't open every package. I have received things in the US that normally would be illegal. But, I would be careful posting about lasers that are illegal in Australia as at least one member here had all his lasers seized by the police there after posting many photos of them.
I'm sure there was more to it than him just posting photos.

Read the laws specific to your country. All your questions are answered there.

NSW Police - Laser Pointers - Questions and Answers

The law restricts the purchase, use and ownership of "battery operated, handheld laser pointers". Meaning there are no laws against purchasing and owning laser diodes, mains power lasers etc.

"Q: Are there any exemptions to the need for a permit?

A: If you are using the pointer for activities associated with astronomy and are a member of an approved astronomical association you are not required to obtain a permit."

one member here had all his lasers seized by the police

In his case he was openly advertising the fact he was selling large quantities of custom laser pointers to the forum and to members in the same country. 100% illegal.

Last edited: