Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserlands 638nm Red Laser Module

You can have good experiences with Chinese, as well as bad. The main problem with them is how they make claims which are completely false regarding specifications, if they list a 200 mw laser, you will probably get 70 mw, if 1 watt, maybe 300 mw... it all depends on which seller, some are worse than others. Laserlands screwed me badly once on a beam expander, showed a picture of a high quality one, send me a piece of junk which loosely resembled the one in their listing and did not have the specifications. No way to get 20X expansion with an output lens only 20 mm wide with a 2 mm wide input aperture, so it was really 10X and worse than that, no AR coating, they inferred it was for a specific wavelength, nope! Just clear glass, and it would not focus to infinity. I even emailed them making sure their advertised specifications were correct before I paid, they either lied, or were clueless.
Hmm that sounds bad. I‘ve only had great deals with Laserlands so far, but I sure wouldn’t buy a 700$+ labby. I‘ve seen they have a 1W 520nm laser module for 87$ on ebay. I really have to resist not to buy it immediately to test it. Since most lasers use diodes now, building a laser up to spec and stable output shouldn’t be much of a challenge IMO. I personally prefer DPSS over LD‘s, because of beam quality especially for power of 500 mW+.

I don't know, it's such a mixed bag with the China sellers, sometimes they are actually close to what they say they are too, it's the way you cannot count on anything which turns me off, but does that stop me from buying occasionally? No, but not pointers or DPSS, I won't risk their claims again, probably missing out from time to time due to that.

Agreed DPSS is the way to go for a quality beam, I do however like some of the high power 520 nm diodes, the NDG7475 is a good one, if you expand the beam 3X, it will then have as good a divergence as many DPSS lasers, but a fat beam, compared to them. If you use a pair of cylinder lenses to both correct and then expand the beam, not a bad laser, except for a fatter beam, that you can't fix and still have decent divergence.