Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserglow <5mw 'Taurus' 635nm Full Review With Pictures

FuzzyPancake

Why Did I Buy This? (Foreword)

For reasons beyond my understanding, it’s surprisingly difficult to find a high quality <5mW direct diode red laser pointer vendor in the USA despite these lasers being relatively easy to sell (from a legal perspective) due to their class 3R safety classification.

I wanted something that looks unique and is built well that I can enjoy for a lifetime with care taken to keep it clean and dry. I planned to use it as a toy for my cat and general pointing pleasure.

While I would have preferred to purchase a laser from Amazon, Ebay, or other US based websites/sellers for reduced shipping costs, I found hardly anything of interest. AtlasNova out of Washington state had some good looking lasers pointers, but they didn’t provide enough documentation/technical specs for me to believe they really know (or at least care to tell you) what they are selling. This is a common and extremely frustrating problem with nearly all Amazon and Ebay sellers as well.

Then I discovered Canada’s Laserglow and the Taurus. It had everything I was looking for: rear toggle switch, 635nm direct diode, elegant form factor, adequate documentation, and at seemingly reasonable price. Furthermore, many LPF members appear to respect Laserglow as a seller.

What was in the Box?

• The assembled laser
  • One Lithium Panasonic CR123A
  • A high quality but oddly large box with a cutout for the laser that is way longer than the actual laser (pictured below)

Shipping Time

I ordered this on a Sunday night from Canada and received it three days later Wednesday morning in rural Ohio. That was with standard USPS ground ($12.50). I dealt with zero customs seizing nonsense you occasionally hear about.

Price

I paid $50 for the laser and $12.50 for the cheapest shipping option.

Craftsmanship

The black finish feels good to touch, and the tastefully added branding art doesn’t easily scratch off even with significant fingernail pressure. The threads for the tail cap rotate smoothly, but not exceptionally smoothly and I ended up cleaning and coating them in some mineral oil which did help, but it wasn’t really necessary

As shown in a picture below, the head cap screws off and exposes the driver and some of the diode. I’d imagine this is a big plus for those that like to mod or repurpose their devices. The threads for the head cap were kinda harsh/catchy/gritty feeling actually, but after a good cleaning with a q-tip and mineral oil this improved significantly.

The rubberized toggle switch requires a stern push and gives a satisfyingly audible and tactile click. I am picky about buttons, and Laserglow thankfully got this right.

I can shake the laser rigorously and there is no perceivable button or battery wobble whatsoever and its weight is distributed evenly. It feels good in the hand.

Performance/Specs

This is where things get a little hairy. As shown in the pictures below there is some odd stuff going on and it's disappointing. I didn’t do any color edits to the photos below - all that splash is what you can see with the naked eye - granted my crappy camera exaggerates it a bit. The crescent splashes at the very sides are not noticeable under normal use as they are emitted at a nearly 80 degree angle from the main output. Upon closer inspection, they seem to be caused by a design flaw of the lens housing, so I’d expect to see that no matter what.

There is a moderately distracting red spot next to the primary beam as shown in a picture below. In brightly lit rooms it’s barely noticeable, but in dark rooms it’s fairly distracting. More on that in the ‘Customer Service’ section.

Regarding the “exotic” 635nm color - it’s technically closer to orange than a more typical 650nm laser, but still close enough to red in my eyes that it honestly just looks like plain ol’ red without a reference 650nm pointer.

The laser supposedly has an unlimited duty duty cycle which I am inclined to believe as the output end doesn’t get warm even after minutes of on-time which is nice as it gives me more usage options.

I’ll just paste a screenshot of the rest of the laser’s specs with some of the less significant attributes. I will add that the sticker on the white sleeve that protected the nice black box containing the laser itself says this model has a “tested average power” of 4.20mW while they will ship this model at powers between 3mW and 5mW as read on the same label.

MY7A40oa_hZl7mKfr0PqgacRxvgt-0Chjw3UIWgSbrntI69j9rwppxIDLelwFHnibHmFPjj5iEEfhkLTet-VYNmCN-IvxveTNhyYGhCt_0AnKXrin2ZFbjQSC4RVOFngUvb6Oweg

Can you see the beam?!

Sadly, no. Not in thin air. You’ll need a bit of fog or smoke. I could only see the beam after blowing a few clouds from my electronic cigarette as shown below.

Customer Service

I asked Laserglow via email what they thought about the distracting “extra dot” I was seeing. The CSR that got back to me, to my surprise, took the time to grab some other Taurus’s from their inventory to see if they have the same issue, sent me pictures of his findings, and they all had the same “extra dot”. He commented that “it is a result of the diode architecture for this particular diode”, and offered to give me a refund and or exchange at a 15% discount which I declined.

Final Thoughts

Was the laser worth $50 plus shipping? I think so. Maybe you could get a lower priced and similar quality 635nm <5mw pointer from Ebay or an LPF member, but considering that this is close to exactly what I wanted and that this has virtually zero competition (in the retail market), I think I got a fair deal.

I would strongly recommend Laserglow as a seller too based on my experience. They processed my order very quickly and their customer service was impressively competent. Their prices are high for class 3R lasers, but I am fairly certain their hosts are proprietary, so you will at least pay a high price for something you can't get elsewhere.

Pictures

relative size.jpg

Note the room was fogged in this picture
beam and kitty.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

guts.jpg

case.jpg

close dot.jpg

The pointer is about 2 feet off of the desk here. Notice the "extra dot" on the left.
2 ft dot.jpg

While the brightness/bloom is pretty extreme, this is a closeup "extra dot". My camera was 1.5 feet from the dot, and the pointer was 8 feet from the wall.
dots sh.jpg

Last edited:

Nice review! I think it would have been nice to splice the pictures in where you mention them rather than having them all at the end. Eliminates a lot of scrolling :p

I have bought from LG before, and can vouch for their quality and customer service. I just find their prices exorbitant, even though their hosts are unique (and really nicely designed) and their quality control is excellent. 700mW 532nm Hercules is $3789, 800mW 532nm PL-E Pro is $320. I believe LG uses CNI laser modules

As far as that splashy dot goes, I agree that that halo/ring-looking artifact is fairly common and a bit unavoidable. As for that extra dot, that almost looks like the beam is reflecting off of something metallic internal to the laser. Is the laser coming out at an angle with respect to the host?

Just wanted to say, your cat is freaking out :ROFLMAO:

FuzzyPancake

Nice review! I think it would have been nice to splice the pictures in where you mention them rather than having them all at the end. Eliminates a lot of scrolling :p

I have bought from LG before, and can vouch for their quality and customer service. I just find their prices exorbitant, even though their hosts are unique (and really nicely designed) and their quality control is excellent. 700mW 532nm Hercules is $3789, 800mW 532nm PL-E Pro is $320. I believe LG uses CNI laser modules

As far as that splashy dot goes, I agree that that halo/ring-looking artifact is fairly common and a bit unavoidable. As for that extra dot, that almost looks like the beam is reflecting off of something metallic internal to the laser. Is the laser coming out at an angle with respect to the host?

Just wanted to say, your cat is freaking out :ROFLMAO:
Thank you!

That does sound beyond exorbitant for their higher powered lasers. Good thing China gives us better options (y)

And regarding the double dot issue, I think you may have nailed it. When I set the laser down on my desk, turn it on, and roll it, the dot rolls in a cycloid rather than in a line. So the alignment is definitely off a degree or two. The beam just may be reflecting off of something inside the optics at an angle.

Edit: and about the pictures, I formatted it the way I did because I didn't really expect anybody to scroll down as they read. I'll keep pictures and relevant info all together in future reviews.

Last edited:
Hey, cool, an actual driver in a low power red. You don't see that often. What's the current draw, and at what voltage does the driver drop out of regulation? Can I get a close up of the driver?

FuzzyPancake

Hey, cool, an actual driver in a low power red. You don't see that often. What's the current draw, and at what voltage does the driver drop out of regulation? Can I get a close up of the driver?
I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge or tools to tell you what you want to know. Here are some close-ups of both sides of the driver though.

In taking these pictures, I found that I can actually screw out the diode from the head cap by hand. Neat! Sure sounds like this has some easy modding potential, yea?

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_141246~2.jpg
    IMG_20200421_141246~2.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200421_141331~2.jpg
    IMG_20200421_141331~2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Peculiar. I don't see a shunt low enough to sense current. It might be photodiode feedback driven exclusively. That sort of stability isn't required in a pointer.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Very cool little laser! I have bought from LaserGlow before and have always been very satisfied with the great quality of their lasers and service.

Giannis_TDM

Peculiar. I don't see a shunt low enough to sense current. It might be photodiode feedback driven exclusively. That sort of stability isn't required in a pointer.
Wow thats really impressive I haven't seen any other company actually using the photodiode for feedback! I might buy one seeing how well built it is and the sky high driver quality

GSS

Nice review and more important you shelled out the money to have a safe true 5mw to play with your cat;):)
Which I would think is a true rating..