Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser product idea?

I don't think so...
It's just that there is no benefit in using a laser over a lighter.
Like he said, there are much better ideas in the sea.
You just need to fish 'em out.
With a fishing pole made of creativity.
And imagination.
Something unique.
Not what everybody else is thinking.
Something different.
Something gifted.
Something glorious...

Okay, i'm done :p

I don't know what I did to make everyone feel the need to be rude but are we done throwing stones? I get the point. You've heard the idea before, you don't like the idea, and/or you just like ripping into the newbies here....I get it. I already acknowledged it's a vaporware product idea that could do more damage than help to the laser enthusist community. I don't know what more I can do at this point.

Hi all, just a little bit to add, when my tutorial and video went viral.... well more of a bad cold really... I had cigar clubs and zippo enthusiasts clamouring to buy from me so there would definately be a market But I cannot imagine any way of making an FDA compliant version that would work.
That is not a reason why others shouldn.t try though.;)

Regards rog8811

maxh

or just spend like 50 cents and get a.......... lighter

that will light like, 1000 cigarettes before it runs out

seems to me there are better laser projects to spend development time on

but maybe thats just me talking crazy

Sometimes you do something just for the fun of it. Like this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/9c89/

usb_humpingdogs.jpg

I just realized I had thrown the schematics away after my patent was rejected :(
I still remember the design though...

I'll draw up new ones.
Hey Spidy...
I just read your post... WTF... "I had thrown the schematics away after my patent was rejected"

Are you not proud of something that you created....
Even though it was not accepted by the Patent Office is no reason
to throw your baby in the trash....

I still have all schematics and rejected magazine articles and rejected
patent applications that I have submited in the past... and I will always
keep them..
They are my babies that I created... and no-one could make me feel so
bad that I would destroy them...
cool.gif

I'm sure rog knows what I'm talking about..
(don't touch my babies)

Jerry

Last edited:
I don't know what I did to make everyone feel the need to be rude but are we done throwing stones? I get the point. You've heard the idea before, you don't like the idea, and/or you just like ripping into the newbies here....I get it. I already acknowledged it's a vaporware product idea that could do more damage than help to the laser enthusist community. I don't know what more I can do at this point.

How was that being rude?
There are alot of kiss-asses on this website?

Did I hurt your feelings, little boy?
Aww, poor baby...

Did I start a trend or something? When I first came here no one really argued. We all know my past antics here. Did it rub off on people, because now everyone argues LOL. There are so many pissing matches now, its not fun to read anymore. Yeah..can you believe I just said that?

My .02 is..Who cares if this has merit or not. Its not a waste of time to make something no one else has in the world. No one flamed the "Mustard Build' How stupid was that? But it was cool because no one had one. IMO if you create something new, its not a waste of time no matter what you do. If you can make something to keep the hobby creative and interesting, then all the power to you.

Hey Spydy...guess I had more friends than you thought, huh. Looks like you have less than what I thought. Maybe if you lightened up more people will like you. :na: LOL no..I really dont care..just bustin chops. There is a diferance between bustin chops than just being an A-Hole. I think you need more practice.

Last edited:
Did I start a trend or something? When I first came here no one really argued. We all know my past antics here. Did it rub off on people, because now everyone argues LOL. There are so many pissing matches now, its not fun to read anymore. Yeah..can you believe I just said that?

My .02 is..Who cares if this has merit or not. Its not a waste of time to make something no one else has in the world. No one flamed the "Mustard Build' How stupid was that? But it was cool because no one had one. IMO if you create something new, its not a waste of time no matter what you do. If you can make something to keep the hobby creative and interesting, then all the power to you.

Hey Spydy...guess I had more friends than you thought, huh. Looks like you have less than what I thought. Maybe if you lightened up more people will like you. :na: LOL no..I really dont care..just bustin chops. There is a diferance between bustin chops than just being an A-Hole. I think you need more practice.
Lol, people need to stop taking me seriously :p
There are so many prissy idiots here...

Im not sure if you read my comments and you took them to mean I was insulting your idea or you.

If you want to interpret my comments that way it wont cause me any loss of sleep over it.

To clarify though, I meant that everyone is given the exact same quantity of currency every day. Everyone gets exactly the same 24 hours in the day. How you spend your currency will define where you go and what you see in life. What I meant by my comment was instead of inventing another way to light a cigarette by spending time in the day solving the technical challenges in that project, maybe there would be a project that would be more interesting, with a wider audience, that might solve more important or bigger challenges other people face. Or maybe one that would give you more joy in its completion.

I personally dont see lighting a cigarette with a laser as a project worth spending part of my time currency on. It is something I would rather spend 50 cents on and then spend the time I saved not inventing that item on more important things to me. Thats what I meant.

First... no-one gives me any currency every day... I have to work for it...
I agree... we all get 24 hrs a day to do with as we please...

If it wasn't for people that think "outside the box" we would still be starting
fires by fire rubbing 2 sticks together in a cave...

Just because you don't think it is a worthwhile project doesn't make it so...
You are not required to waste your precious time on this project... or
even read the posts here... no one asked you to... the choice to do so is yours.

From what I read on this thread it was a discussion on the feasibility of such a project.

Jerry

First... no-one gives me any currency every day... I have to work for it...
I agree... we all get 24 hrs a day to do with as we please...

If it wasn't for people that think "outside the box" we would still be starting
fires by fire rubbing 2 sticks together in a cave...

Just because you don't think it is a worthwhile project doesn't make it so...
You are not required to waste your precious time on this project... or
even read the posts here... no one asked you to... the choice to do so is yours.

From what I read on this thread it was a discussion on the feasibility of such a project.

Jerry

Exactly my point...

What I meant by my comment was instead of inventing another way to light a cigarette by spending time in the day solving the technical challenges in that project, maybe there would be a project that would be more interesting, with a wider audience.

Rog8811's video of his laser lighter build hit well over 40,000 + views and was featured on I-Hack. Plus cigar clubs and zippo enthusiasts clamouring to buy it. I'd say he hit a large audience.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean its not a good idea. :spank:

Last edited:
Just an idea, this probably wouldn't work, maybe the material recieving the laser light could be a "solar" cell of some type. That way, you could recharge the batteries when the laser is in use. That way, the charge would last longer and you would have to charge it much less.
Don't know if this would work, But it would be so cool if it did!
The SushiNinja

No, it wouldn't work. First of all, the LD converts only about 1/4th of the electrical energy into light; the driver also requires an additional ~15% (FlexDriver) to 100% (linear driver with red LD). Then, the cell would have to be close (and/or big) enough to catch all the emitted light. Lastly it depends on the band gap of the solar cells; unfortunately I don't have info about that, but it will be more toward the red side of the spectrum: if the laser wavelength is longer, no energy at all will be generated; if it's shorter, the excess is again converted into heat in the cell.

If you could optimally adjust the laser wavelength to the solar cell bandgap (just a bit more energetic), you could get quite a high efficiency; but still the overall losses makes this a losing scheme.