Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JDSU 25ML Argon Help

Man, you sure have gotten your share of getting screwed by people trying to off load crap for argon ion lasers. I am so very sorry.

diachi

The Saga Continues.

He sent the power supply as said.

The Tube does ignite and has a Plasma. However, It does not lase. It just has a very low pinkish blue output which is not collimated. The Spot gets larger the further away it goes. I have included a pic if anyone has any idea's.

At 1 meter the spot is about 40mm in diameter. The output is very low. The Photo makes it look higher. It's also more pink than the photo shows.

The brightness of the spot does increase and decrease with Tube current. I tested from 4 Amps up to 10 Amps.

Alignment is out, or the cathode is sagging (thus blocking the intracavity beam), or it's lighting down the gas return, or the mirrors are otherwise damaged. Could be gas pressure too but it'd be hard to light/keep running if that were the case.

Man, you sure have gotten your share of getting screwed by people trying to off load crap for argon ion lasers. I am so very sorry.

It seems to be the nature of the beast with these tubes. The tubes are quite old now and it's just very difficult to find a working one.

Other than spending a small fortune its like buying a lottery ticket.

Thanks for your sympathy. I will get lucky one day..

Alignment is out, or the cathode is sagging (thus blocking the intracavity beam), or it's lighting down the gas return, or the mirrors are otherwise damaged. Could be gas pressure too but it'd be hard to light/keep running if that were the case.

There doesn't appear to be any cathode sag. The bore looks clear. It ignited first tick each time i tried. From research i did after posting that pic it sounds like mirror alignment. Sam's guide does have some instructions but being an internal mirror tube they don't usualy go out of alignment. It was very poorly packaged so may have had a heavy knock. There is a slight chance it can be repaired.

Thanks.

Hooray

Diachi was absolutely correct.

The Front mirror is out of alignment. Just slightly bending the front of the tube with a screw driver in the correct direction it's lasing. And it seems like a good tube.

I need a more perminant solution. I can't seem to be able to bend it enough to stay in the right position.

For now a "Cable Tie" is working just fine. See the pic.

At 4 amps I can see 2 Lines. At 6 Amps I can see 5 lines. I havn't pushed it harder yet. See the pic with a 1000 line defraction grating.

The pics are taken with a mobile phone so they are not real good.

I have only had a quick play after getting home from work. I will do some more on the weekend.

Any ideas for a perminant fix would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_20170627_235828.jpg
    IMG_20170627_235828.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170628_000215.jpg
    IMG_20170628_000215.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20170627_235901.jpg
    IMG_20170627_235901.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Theyre just like the helium neon lasers. The mirror mounts can be bent into place with care. It's just relatively difficult without practice...never mind the fact that there's high voltage on it. That makes it a little bit more tricky to do safely.

diachi

Theyre just like the helium neon lasers. The mirror mounts can be bent into place with care. It's just relatively difficult without practice...never mind the fact that there's high voltage on it. That makes it a little bit more tricky to do safely.

Yeah, some nylon/delrin/some other plastic/insulting rod is a good idea to have for these. Reduces the chance of being shocked, as well as the chance of shorting anything to the case.

Glad to see you got it working. :beer:

Yeah, some nylon/delrin/some other plastic/insulting rod is a good idea to have for these. Reduces the chance of being shocked, as well as the chance of shorting anything to the case.

Glad to see you got it working. :beer:

Most of the case on these is fibreglass. Only the cowling is metal which i removed. At first i was applying force wedging the screw driver against the case.

The cooling is better without the cowling. Noticeably. Doubles the air intake area. I do have a good 3000 rpm fan on it. Next time I will show how I did the cooling.

The colours from argon are beutifull. Worth all the pain getting there.

I was trying to be careful. Didnt want to break it. I did manage to get some perminant bend but not enough. The cable tie does not have much force on it.

At least the Argon only has about 110 vdc on the Anode. But high current available.

I do love the colours in the lines. No doubt i should see more lines when i push it.

diachi

I was trying to be careful. Didnt want to break it. I did manage to get some perminant bend but not enough. The cable tie does not have much force on it.

At least the Argon only has about 110 vdc on the Anode. But high current available.

I do love the colours in the lines. No doubt i should see more lines when i push it.

I'd rather deal with 100VAC at 10A than 110VDC at 10A ;)

But yeah... don't want to shock yourself or blow your power supply after all the trouble you've already been through.

Hopefully you can get the alignment adjusted more permanently. :D

CONGRATULATIONS, Mosc007. That is fantastic news. Once you are able to get the mirror aligned properly I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 lines. I got a chuckle out of the way you are holding the mirror in place. Heay, whatever works, right? Very nice inclusion into you gas laser collection. Have you been able to get a power reading yet? I'd suggest Sam's FAQ website, but I know you have already been there. Still there is sooo much of it and you never know where you are going to find that bit of information you are looking for. :D

Last edited:
I'd rather deal with 100VAC at 10A than 110VDC at 10A ;)

Don't know why? I've had both 100 VDC and 110 VAC and the AC hurts much more. I've had it across both hands and the AC made me see stars! The DC just hurt.

Don't know why? I've had both 100 VDC and 110 VAC and the AC hurts much more. I've had it across both hands and the AC made me see stars! The DC just hurt.

Generaly DC is worse. But at 110 Volts it's not realy that dangerous. One thing that would make 110 VAC worse at this voltage is the Peak voltage is about 150 Volts. That's now starting to get to a dangerous voltage.

In Dry weather and dry hands 110 vac doesn't realy do much at all. slight tingle. I have had it my hands before. We use 240 vac here. That makes you jump when you touch it. Being a licensed Electrician I have had 240 quite a few times.

Generaly 110 vac is not enough to cause fibrilation in the heart. It can make you jump and scare you if moisture aids in conductivity of the skin.

Still, It's always beter to be safe.

CONGRATULATIONS, Mosc007. That is fantastic news. Once you are able to get the mirror aligned properly I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 lines. I got a chuckle out of the way you are holding the mirror in place. Heay, whatever works, right? Very nice inclusion into you gas laser collection. Have you been able to get a power reading yet? I'd suggest Sam's FAQ website, but I know you have already been there. Still there is sooo much of it and you never know where you are going to find that bit of information you are looking for. :D

I might have to machine something up to hold the tube in the correct place for lasing. Something that is adjustable. Putting a perminant bend seems rather difficult.

Yeah, I wanted to do a pic with the diffraction grating. Pushing the tube with a screw driver and taking a pic at the same time was rather difficult. At the time a cable tie seemed a pretty good way to hold it. And it works quite well.

5 Lines at 6 Amps. I am sure I will see more lines when I push it.

I will do some power readings soon.

I spent most of my life as an EE. I know the difference between AC and DC. If you think that 110 AC can't hurt you, I'm afraid you are very mistaken. There are confirmed reports of electrocutions with nothing more than 110 AC. It really depends on the amount of current that can be pushed through your body and the contact points. Of course salty moisture as can happen from perspiration makes for better electrical connections to the body.

I informed the supplier about the Tube not lasing yesterday. To start with he said he had more tubes and would find a working one for me.

This afternoon I sent him another Email saying with slight mirror force it's lasing and working good.

A few hours later I get an Email saying he has no working tubes and wants this one back. Of course a full refund.

NO WAY MATE, This one may not be perfect. But it works. I think he want's it back cause he doesn't have a working one. Probably thought this one was dead too.

The hour meter is very hard to read. But it may only have 6000 Hours on it.

Last edited: