Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm a not-so-new member finally introducing myself after more than a decade.

I'm a computer geek and software engineering nerd from Utah. My username online has always been andrewProgrammer (since at least 2007), but you can call me Andrew for short. I came up with that name when I was young and first getting serious into writing software, mostly Flash games at the time.

I've been drooling over lasers since 2003, so I guess that means they've been my thing for 20 years... wow. I had a cheap 1mW red pointer for a while that I bought for $5 with my allowance. And then when the Wicked Lasers Sonar came out I drooled over that, fantasizing about buying one, but of course never had that kind of money. I lurked the forum since 2009-ish but only to drool over what other people had.

2010 rolls around and the Wicked Lasers Arctic shows up... $199 for 1W of BLUE - unbelievable. I needed one, I had to have one, I even had some money to buy it from mowing lawns. But the internet does its thing and orders are instantly two years out. So I instead bought a 400mW 808nm that year as my consolation prize. I finally join the forum in 2011 and learn just how dumb an 808nm laser is; I'm lucky to still have both eyes especially at that kind of power. Then I got a real job that year writing business software full time and I bought a 250mW 650nm, a 100mW 532nm, and even an Arctic copycat 1W 445nm.

Then came the golden years (in my opinion) of the forum between 2012 and 2016 where there were amazing group buys all the time. Shout out to @offroadfreak8582 and also Kevin of SkyLaser for making some of the best quality lasers ever available to us at unheard of prices. My collection grew substantially during this time. My profile picture comes from this time on a fun foggy night with friends. I even acquired my grail during this time - a Laserglow Rigel.

Since joining the forum I've learned tons from all the people on here. Little bits over the years and gaining more knowledge and more of a desire to build my own laser which I finally did in 2018 when the 488nm diodes became a thing. Then I built another with a 520nm diode. Then another with the most powerful single-mode diode - the hidden gem that is the 405nm BDR-209. Later that same year the OptLaser 575nm modules arrive on the scene and I ordered a few, excited to dive even deeper into building my own lasers (since there'd be little documentation/knowledge about these, I'd have to learn a lot). But then they didn't actually arrive...

The gloom era sets in... I always check in at least once a year to see how things are going. But nothing new happened for while and my passion started to dim with the OptLaser disappointment. We lost many members to disinterest... to drama... many years like this went by...

Then BOOM! Nobody saw it coming... In 2023, 593.5nm became accessible through some new process and the forums feel more energetic and I'm getting excited all over again for lasers. 555nm is now accessible, too. Insanely powerful bright blues are available in the 460-470nm range as well. The hobby is alive again! I even took the time to sit down and really learn how a semiconductor laser diode turns electricity into beautiful coherent photons, something I had often wondered about but couldn't seem wrap my head around. Then to put the icing on an already wonderful year, @tinkertavernco pulls off something nobody thought would ever happen... the triumphant return of the 575nm! Erasing all of the pain of the gloom era and giving me tons of hope for 2024.

Happy New Year, LPF!
- Andrew

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You just triggered a slight sense of nostalgia with your belated intro post. I arrived near the end of the golden years, I was browsing beforehand. I remember the excitement of the WL Arctic. Despite the fact we know WL wasn’t a perfect company, they did produce a great product regardless on whether it was truly 1W. And it was my first serious laser that I owned. The buzz surrounding the introduction of direct greens was great. And then the 505’s, 488’s and the now elusive 480’s. Those 465’s were amazing diodes. Couldn’t believe at the time we would have a new wavelength at already tremendous powers. Can’t also forget the introduction of the beast NUBM44’s, the ceiling fans foe. Now the era of DPSS and SFD lasers has like you said has sparked a bit more life again. And I just recently triggered another wave of 505 interest with the discovery of new low hitting diodes; sometimes extremely low in comparison, on the market.

I particularly enjoyed binned the many Sharp diodes that we got starting with the 473nm ones. Kept a 477nm one out of that batch and built it into a very stable pointer.

That’s one wavelength I do want. 485-486nm. So you don’t have any of that green with it.

Yeah, I gave my only 486nm laser to my daughter as it was her favorite color of all my lasers. I doubt I have anything close in a diode now.

tinkertavernco

That’s one wavelength I do want. 485-486nm. So you don’t have any of that green with it.
If you want any specific wavelength in the 488 range, we spectro every unit that we sell. Usually we have everything from 482 to 489 or so, as well as a few anomalous diodes with other strange characteristic 🙂

486 is not as impressive as you think. A lot of 488nm diodes end up at that wavelength naturally. To me, pure cyan is around 481 to 482.

If you want any specific wavelength in the 488 range, we spectro every unit that we sell. Usually we have everything from 482 to 489 or so, as well as a few anomalous diodes with other strange characteristic 🙂

486 is not as impressive as you think. A lot of 488nm diodes end up at that wavelength naturally. To me, pure cyan is around 481 to 482.

It all depends on what you like. My daughter loves the 486nm laser I gave her. It is by far her favorite and she's seen my 477nm one.

tinkertavernco

It all depends on what you like. My daughter loves the 486nm laser I gave her. It is by far her favorite and she's seen my 477nm one.
Sorry, my wording was wrong - by “impressive” I was just referring to the rarity. 486 is quite common in batches of 488nm diodes, so many people with 488nm units have already seen this color and just don’t know it.

Sorry, my wording was wrong - by “impressive” I was just referring to the rarity. 486 is quite common in batches of 488nm diodes, so many people with 488nm units have already seen this color and just don’t know it.

I suppose that could be right. Back when these first came out a 486nm diode was quite rare.

So Andrew, what part of Utah might you be in? I'm in Taylorsville.
Mike

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You would be correct. My 488 will drift from 487-489nm. So already not far off. But when at 487 the difference in the blue is amazing. Maybe 484-485nm is more where my preference would sit.