Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

idea: revoke users' posting privileges whose rep is in the negative (red bars).

diachi

Interesting idea actually, and it makes sense. I wonder if the forum software has a way to implement that?

Some other limitation based off of post count or time since registering might be a good alternative if not.

It would be difficult for a member that made a mistake and
got below zero reps to change his character and post more
positively if they could not Post.

I see it another incentive to open duplicate accounts.

Just seeing Neg Reps under a members Avatar lets me
know what the member is about and can still be banned
either Temp or Perm.

Jerry

No, because if ability to post is removed, the user is stuck in the red forever, making them more likely to go ahead and just create another account.

Simple stuff really. 24 hour delay email activation for new accounts. First 10 posts must be approved.

Profanity should just result in a temp ban initially. 3 days, or a week. A spammer or just some kid out to get a rise out of people won't have the patience to sit around and wait.

If it creates too much of a load for the mod team I'm happy to volunteer some time.

Profanity should not be encouraged but to ban someone for using it when there is an option for filters is just a waste of all our time. We are adults and have seen or used profanity. If you don't want to see it, turn on your filters. Attacking another user while using profanity is another story and there are already rules for that.

EDIT: Apparently there is no option to turn on or off your own profanity filter... This is a normal option with most forums.

I see no reason to allow new members to post any other "new thread" than in the introductions section. They should be allowed to post replies to existing posts.
Changing the ability for reds to not make a new thread or reply to existing threads will result in inbox private message spam to active members or new accounts being created. There is no effective way I can see to stop spam other than blocking new threads to new accounts. This is commonplace among forums.

Last edited:
Accounts less than a week old can't PM. Accounts less than a 2 two days old can't create new threads other than introduction but can post in other ones. I think the 2 days to create a new thread is long enough because many join just to ask a specific question to start, for example, where to buy good glasses. Or perhaps an introduction is a requirement to make other posts. Or maybe if the person receives negatives into the red, it would deactivate the persons ability to create new threads for perhaps, 5 hours.

I do agree with IE that there should be a waiting period before new accounts can be activated and am all for it! As to how Avery can implement it, that I have no clue :thinking:

-Alex

It can't be that hard to program in a delay, to send out confirmation email. The goal there is simply to prevent people from posting who can use 10 minute email kind of services, where even if their ip was already flagged, they join, and post crap for a while before they are stopped.

24 hour delay, first 5 or 10 posts requiring approval. Won't stop all trolling/spam, but it would help.

Doing what IE just suggested would stop all problems except the determined troll or real life actual scammer.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
No, because if ability to post is removed, the user is stuck in the red forever, making them more likely to go ahead and just create another account.

Good idea Trencheel, but I also agree with IE here.
This has already been proven with a member here. He got put in the red, and then decided to open another clean account with a number two at the end. :whistle:

It is nice to see that people are still trying to fix the problem though.

Cyparagon, there you go again, smarty pants, good point. I guess it comes down to whether the BB software can even do such a thing, if it could you might think the power to do disable someones ability to post should only be given to members who have been here awhile with a minimum number of posts, but now i am asking even more function that probably doesn't exist. A waiting period ought to be the first thing, approval for each of the first ten posts might be good too, but I do believe our sock puppet factory will just make it too much work for us to keep up with approving an even higher number of posts than before just to run the admins ragged.

The amount of spam occurring here has reached pretty high limits it seems. Im currently watching a TV series and cannot seem to go a couple hours without some spam thread or spam on a members visitor page!

Avery, if you are reading this please implement a way to block user posting until a verified email is issued or something similar!

-Alex

^I agree. I come on here a few times a day and there is always at least one spam thread.