Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

i got my CASA projector :)

If your buying new galvos, I'll take the old ones :D

if you can come over here help installing the new ones, fine! :)
what do ya want with old crappy galvo's anyway. all projection images flicker alot...

vk2fro

Borg, what part are you referring to when you mean the "galvo breadboard"?

is that the aluminium block the galvos sit it, or the bit the aluminium block is attached to?

I see a breadboard as the big metal plate that the entire optical system is attached to (lasers, dichros (your calling them mirrors) and scanner block)

When I return from new years I'll open up my poseidon and show you what it looks like inside. It DOES have adjustable dichro mounts (ok not kinimetic ones like suggested on PL), but adjustable is better than hotglued!

Also my projector actually came with 20kpps galvos that DO do 20kpps, not over rated 15kpps.

I'm running it with a DAC (the frame streamer) and beamshows look fantastic. Since I'm not really into graphics shows, I dont REALLY have to upgrade my galvos, so I'll save the better galvos for my homebuilt projector. I did play a graphics show (think it was set to a tune by the bangles, the egyptian one) and it flickered a bit, but it wasnt too bad. If I wanted to show that at friends parties, I'd rather 30 or even 40 kpps so its flicker free.

Sorry you broke your dichro.

Check to see if you can warm the glue (a hair dryer on low shouldnt damage anything) - this will make it soft and allow you to remove stuff from the projector (or adjust it), but dont force it - if you heat up the glue and it still wont move, you'll likely damage something else.

I would only take the hairdryer advice if your going to replace the dichros, as it may ruin the current ones. hot glue is awful stuff and I only use it in things where I am going to get vibration, or to seal - I use it on the big fan on the side of my pc for both sealing, and to isolate it from the case panel so it is quiet.

edit: I am uploading a video from my projector so you can see what one looks like running from a DAC. Heaps more impressive than the DMX board!

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:
update with good news:
i worked 2 hours but removed all the glue from the cable ends/connections. Unfortunatly the dichro's are glued with other glue, something much more harder. i can smash on it whatever i want with a knife or something, but it wont brake.
I dont care if the dichro's are destroyed by removing them, as long as the surrounding lasers are not damaged.

Yes with the board i ment the alluminium plate beneath the actual galvos. (the vibrating mirrors/scanner block. I need a new one since i cant remove the current galvo from the plate.
Where can i buy a replacement?

Thanks.

vk2fro

are you going to keep the galvos or sell them?

The new galvos will come with a mounting diagram 1:1. You simply drill holes in the current aluminium plate, and screw the new galvos onto it. The two long holes where you can see two philips head screws allow you to get them lined back up with the laser.

If your not worried about damaging the current galvos, the best option would be to either heat up the plate, and the glue will dissovle, or use a liquid like acetone to dissolve the glue. Both will ruin the galvos though, as the mirrors will get coated with crud as the glue dissolves.

Your new ones will come with mirrors though (and amps, and a power supply, and new aluminium block (but not the plate).

The second option, is to get the galvos out, measure up the plate, and put the holes in the right place on a replacement piece of aluminium. This would keep the old galvo's in tact.

Remember if you are going to replace the galvos, you'll also need to replace the galvo amps, and the power supply that goes with this, as the current ones wont be tuned to the new galvos.

At best you will get the same horrid flickering image. At worst you'll burn up your new galvos.

edit: here you go! youtube of my projector running off the FS2!

(yes I get excited and go "wow" like a stoner in the video!)

Last edited:
are you going to keep the galvos or sell them?

The new galvos will come with a mounting diagram 1:1. You simply drill holes in the current aluminium plate, and screw the new galvos onto it. The two long holes where you can see two philips head screws allow you to get them lined back up with the laser.

If your not worried about damaging the current galvos, the best option would be to either heat up the plate, and the glue will dissovle, or use a liquid like acetone to dissolve the glue. Both will ruin the galvos though, as the mirrors will get coated with crud as the glue dissolves.

Your new ones will come with mirrors though (and amps, and a power supply, and new aluminium block (but not the plate).

The second option, is to get the galvos out, measure up the plate, and put the holes in the right place on a replacement piece of aluminium. This would keep the old galvo's in tact.

Remember if you are going to replace the galvos, you'll also need to replace the galvo amps, and the power supply that goes with this, as the current ones wont be tuned to the new galvos.

At best you will get the same horrid flickering image. At worst you'll burn up your new galvos.

edit: here you go! youtube of my projector running off the FS2!

(yes I get excited and go "wow" like a stoner in the video!)

At best the same flickering image? I want to buy new galvos to get rid of the heavy flickering.
Yes i sont care about damaging the current galvos, but the black block on the alluminium plate is stuck 100%. but i dont think thats glue...no trace of it. More like screws....but i killed the screws trying to unscrew them.(very cheap ass screws). So thats why the alluminium block is pretty much useless...i need a new one. The black block where the galvos are in, is delivered with the new galvo set as far as i know...im looking at the spacelas.com galvos now. But i think every manufactor delivers other stuff with it?
I already managed to unscrew the alluminium plate of the casing, but it still leaves the galvo block on the plate, no way to remove it...
And what can i ask for those old cheap ass crap galvos anyway?

Thanks i hope you can be my guidesman:)

Edit: that video looks good you have the ild file?
Or does fs2 not create ild files?

I wanna try that show first when i have ild sos and my riya dac.

Last edited:

vk2fro

No it is not in ILD file format.

I am still using laser controller that came with my projector until I get pangolin FB3 and the QS software.

since you have a riya dac coming, WAIT for that before you do anything aside from replacing that dichro that got broken. Chances are, once you have the DAC, you can force all the lasers on, get that dichro lined up and get much better image quality/less flickering when its controlled with a PC. Chances are you wont, but its worth a shot.

If your not happy with the image and if you dont care for the cheap galvos, mabye since they are cheapass screws, they will drill out easily. Alternative, you can get a revese bit that you put in your drill and put the drill into reverse. It will drill into the screw, bite into it and back it out. What they PROBABLY did was use loctite!

When you buy a set of galvos, you usually get:
2 x galvos
The black aluminium block the galvos mount into
A set of scanner amps (one per galvo)
A power supply (to drive the amps)
All the interconnecting cables
Sometimes an ILDA breakout board (the set you picked comes with one)
And sometimes a cheap and nasty DMX board, which is what we both got in our projectors. I can upload patterns into mine via sd card but it still flickers like mad.

Galvos are numbered. You'll have a number on the galvo plug, and a number on the scanner amp. (or an X and a Y). You connect the galvo with one number to the amp with the same number. That way as they come tuned usually from the factory, they should work fairly nicely out of the box.

I would wait until you have the results of the paypal dispute and the riya dac test before you go drilling anything. Sounds like your happy to toss the cheap galvos and fit those spacelas units, but I'd wait until you know the outcome, as that way you can instead of messing around with the bad projector, put the original money (i.e. refund) plus the extra you would have spent on new galvos into a nicer projector. If you get stuck with the current projector, it will be a great learning curve into upgrading one.

I'm personally keeping mine as is; I am happy having it as my home show projector for checking out shows. When I do a friends party for example, I'll take my big homebuild one which is still just plans at the moment, and turn it down to a power level suited to the party.

I wish you the best of luck with the project which ever way you choose to go, and will try to help out as best as i can

edit: what I meant by getting the same flickering is if you were to just replace the galvos. Replacing the galvos amps and galvo power supply with the new set will diminish the flickering a LOT.

Cheers
Ben

those screws wont drill out easily :(
I tried screwing them off but the metal breaks. its not really in the condition to be screwed out anymore.

So i need a new breadboard of the same dimension, and i dont know the name of the liquid stuff you mentioned. is it something toxic that bites through the glue and kills it? that would be a good solution for the dichro glue.

EDIT: just used my butane lighter, it "cooks" the glue, and makes it go away slowly i think. it doesnt smell really healthy so i quit and will try again tommorow if i can find something to prevent me from breathing that shit.

anyone knows where i can buy a new broadplate? or whatever the name of the allumnium plate is?

about the paypal dispute: i probaly get some money back for all the shit that happened. i cant ship it back.

Last edited:
PS- DONT get those o-like dichro mounts. They are crap, no better than what you have now. You need REAL adjustable mounts. Check these out, they don't get much cheaper... Lasershow Parts - 3-Axis Fine Adjustable Optics Mount with 25mm Window

If you get any other style of mount you are just wasting your money.
and those wont come with mirrors....is the 135 dollar set there everything complete?
thats just not possible, there has to be a cheaper way.
I will try to buy adjustables, but i wont spend that much.
il look for other adjustables.

35 dollar is good but i want the mirrors as well.

update: for the first time i used smoke in the room and started my projector.

i am totally in love and im sure this will be my hobby :D
even with the crappy preprogrammed show.
Wow how great all the beams are... wow... (L)

So you fixed the dichros?

No i am going to do that the 30th at a mini laser meeting of dutch hobbyists.
I only watched at the green laser, directly beaming at the galvos.

The 30th i will upgrade the galvos and install new quality 3d dichro's.

Grix

Oh k. Yes, I remember the first time I watched a projector. Mesmerizing, isn't it?

But now you will want to buy more and more, better and better.. Run, before it's too late! :na: