Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hyperion Laser Power Meter For Sale: 2W, 6W, & 20W Version

AaronT

Re: Hyperion Laser Power Meter For Sale: 2W & 6W Version

I received the replacement sensor today, thanks for using fast shipping.

I noticed you made several improvements and a critical change.

You changed the female plug that would have connected directly to my board/meter to a male plug.

I would need a female/female extension to test/use this new style sensor...

Please send appropriate components so I can use my meter...

Reactions: GSS

Hello AaronT,

The female/female extension is included in previous complete package (the package with LPM). It's meant to be used with that extension cord.

I'm sure you still have it, as you are able to run the previous sensor which used the same female/female extension.

AaronT

Alright, I found it.

My mistake.

I'll get working on my evaluation.

The meter looks to be working as it did before the first sensor failed.

Last edited:

The meter looks to be working as it did before the first sensor failed.

Great! Your sensor's cable is glued permanently, therefore the disadvantages of this is the fact that you can't DIY the sensor like everyone else.
I always thought that every buyer wants to do some DIY with the setup hence i don't patch/glued some of the element with permanent glue (the sensor itself is of course glued permanently with thermal epoxy), my bad :undecided:

==============================================================================================================================

BTW, thread updated, added 20W sensor option :eg:

I noticed you have a 20 watt option now, also. What is the accuracy and resolution of this meter? I can currently only measure up to 10 watts and may be interested.

The resolution is 13uW compared to coated sensor with 1uW resolution, as per ADC spec.
Some might say that sub milivolt resolutions are useless because of noise introduced, but it's what the power of 22-bit ADC and digital filter allows it to happen :D
Other hobbyist LPM are just using 16-bit ADC at best, AFAIK.

About the accuracy, it's just like the coated sensor, is about <5% accuracy.
If you read the discussion thread carefully, you'll understand why achieving 1% accuracy is so difficult if using "different wavelength" to do a calibration transfer.

I already understood why a 1% accuracy is difficult across the entire spectrum. Thanks. I"ll be thinking about this and may give yours a try.

I noticed you have a 20 watt option now, also. What is the accuracy and resolution of this meter? I can currently only measure up to 10 watts and may be interested.
Maybe I'm slow... or blind...:thinking:
What 20 Watt option is that ??

Jerry

I want the 20w meter if it's ready to use and reasonably accurate.
What do we get for 150.00
The meter/software/thermopile ?

I want the 20w meter if it's ready to use and reasonably accurate.
What do we get for 150.00
The meter/software/thermopile ?

My understanding is all of the above. Seems like a pretty good deal. Many people who have ordered the lower power versions are very happy with the results. I have a meter that goes to 10 watts, but it cost more than this one. He claims a <5% accuracy.

Last edited:
Also the thermopile has to be kept dust and moisture free, I would keep it in a sealed container until use indoors only, still I'm afraid it could be very fragile.

I could make my own interpreter or likely read the output from a quality head on a good quality meter, the thermopile is the heart of the device for me.

I assume they generate a small current or change resistance, even if they need a regulated power supply to produce a readable current or change in resistance I can build all of that, I have never had a meter but do want one for some dual diode cubed devices I want to build, I want to know with some certainty that I am getting the desired result and also be able to test performance over time to see any change.

Last edited:
Look under the OP's signature and it is directly under Noblesse Oblige.
Thanks...
He couldn't have used a larger font and I still
missed it...:yabbem:

@ Red...
If I understand it correctly... the 20 W sensor
is a raw un-coated TEC by the stated lower
resolution info...
I may be wrong....:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

Ricker

I ordered the uncoated one about a week ago, excited for it to arrive! I'll tell you everything about it Red if you don't jump on it by the time I get it! :)

Also the thermopile has to be kept dust and moisture free, I would keep it in a sealed container until use indoors only, still I'm afraid it could be very fragile.

I could make my own interpreter or likely read the output from a quality head on a good quality meter, the thermopile is the heart of the device for me.

I assume they generate a small current or change resistance, even if they need a regulated power supply to produce a readable current or change in resistance I can build all of that, I have never had a meter but do want one for some dual diode cubed devices I want to build, I want to know with some certainty that I am getting the desired result and also be able to test performance over time to see any change.

Hi Red, for 150usd you'll get the meter/acquisition board and the thermopile (TEC based just like other Hyperion version), the software is freeware for all though.

It is by far the most maintenance-free sensor, because as long as you keep it white n clean, it will give you an accurate reading.
I.e:
  • If it's gets moisten, just rub it with tissue or cotton
  • If it gets dirty, just clean it with water, rubber eraser, alcohol, contact cleaner, or something like that (as long as it doesn't leaves a residue, and looks white like new)

The only things you need to avoid are:
  • knocking the sensor when reading over 10W laser
  • measuring laser without good goggles (as you can see that uncoated sensor mainly reflect all the light or acting as broadband rejector)

Hi Red, for 150usd you'll get the meter/acquisition board and the thermopile (TEC based just like other Hyperion version), the software is freeware for all though.

It is by far the most maintenance-free sensor, because as long as you keep it white n clean, it will give you an accurate reading.
I.e:
  • If it's gets moisten, just rub it with tissue or cotton
  • If it gets dirty, just clean it with water, rubber eraser, alcohol, contact cleaner, or something like that (as long as it doesn't leaves a residue, and looks white like new)

The only things you need to avoid are:
  • knocking the sensor when reading over 10W laser
  • measuring laser without good goggles (as you can see that uncoated sensor mainly reflect all the light or acting as broadband rejector)

Hi astralist, I'm just starting my laser collection and have a large order of 1W-4.5W lasers on the way. I see many people are happy with your meters and I was reading through all the specs you have posted but I'm still a little uncertain if this is the best choice for me, it is price wise!
Are there any wavelength lasers I shouldn't use with this power meter? I have 405-668 coming.
And do you include maintenance instructions for a newer user like myself?