Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to pulse a laser?

So that's the question. Is there any laser driver capable of pulsing a laser? Does anyone have schematics for pulsing?

What type of laser? I could give you schematics, but... they're not exactly working off of some kind of universal operating principle.

Exactly an A140 blue diode. I want it to pulse it for better lifetime. So any help would be great.

Pulsing it will not necessarily give you a better life time... The same
current will hit the die repetatively... Only the heat buildup would be
lower as well as the output power.

If you want to increase the lifetime of any Laser... just
reduce the drive current. No need to pulse it just for
that reason...

Jerry

Last edited:

Blord

You could buy some 3-mode or 5-mode drivers from DX. Some of the modes are flashing but the frequency is fixed.

I am really interested in pulsing the 635nm red laser diodes as there are medical and sports therapy applications to be researched... :pop: anyone? T/Y! -Glenn

I am really interested in pulsing the 635nm red laser diodes as there are medical and sports therapy applications to be researched... :pop: anyone? T/Y! -Glenn

What speed and or Duty cycle Glenn... and at what current.

Jerry

I want to pulse either a 660 or a 532, just because I've been wanting a pulsed laser for a while beause they're pretty.

In case of a A140 diode the pulsing is actually usefull. In the projector these things run pulsed at high currents. The total efficiency will be higher because you're far above threshold but the thermal stress will be the same. Other diodes may benefit from this as wel.

What pulse frequency/duty cycle are you thinking of?

Last edited:

rhd

I decided to put together a simple TTL pulse circuit with stuff from my parts bin:

Is this like what you had in mind?

+ 1

I've been looking for that for a while. I've made similar circuits with a relay (because I like the "click"), but I've been conscious of the fact that an NPN was the proper way to go. Mind sharing the schematic? (specifically the part number and wiring of the NPN portion)

Cool stuff! Transistors give way to endless possibilities, allows you to combine anything (light a toy lightsaber soundboard and a high-powered laser) :)

+ 1

I've been looking for that for a while. I've made similar circuits with a relay (because I like the "click"), but I've been conscious of the fact that an NPN was the proper way to go. Mind sharing the schematic? (specifically the part number and wiring of the NPN portion)

Surething! I'll draw up a proper schematic later tonight. Right now I'm watching a movie with the Mrs. and just stopped back in my office for a moment.

I'm quite glad my circuit is a hit!

I am hopeful to get pulse rates from 120Hz to 1200 Hz with a lot of interest near 530Hz the current w/b about 650ma as with the 635nm 300 mW it is about the limit. ;) -Glenn

I am hopeful to get pulse rates from 120Hz to 1200 Hz with a lot of interest near 530Hz the current w/b about 650ma as with the 635nm 300 mW it is about the limit. ;) -Glenn

Sorry but....you lost me there Glenn....:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited: