Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to diffuse the beam from Nichia LD matrix

a12b34c56

Hello, I need to diffuse the beam from NICHIA NUBM36 to produce 20X20cm spot at 30-40 mm from the array. I was suggested two solutions:
NUMB36->collimating lenses array->lens and rod or fly's eye. I don't think I need to collimate the beam more as the beam produced by NUBM36 is highly collimated θII=0.42, θꞱ =0 so I think I can use fly's eyes. Are there any free simulation soft that allows to calculate fly's eyes?
The second option is to collimate it to a smaller spot and use 2D galvano scanner. The problem with this solution is very high cost of galvanos. In theory then can be made with 2 servo motors controlled by Atmel/ Arduino controller but I think there are must be a simpler solution.

1707082759529.png

farbe2

Search “nonimaging optics” that’s what you want.

Eidetical

If wanting to diffuse the beams, why not use a diffuser? Ground glass are general purpose, flashed opal has the widest spread, structured diffusers make a shaped spot in the far field, "light shaping diffusers" can be chosen with a variety of output shapes. Thorlabs, Edmund Optics, and Luminit are sources.

Sounds more like the job of a custom made CGH or holographic diffuser to me. And a very expensive one at that. 8x8" less than 1.5" away?!? Good luck!

Last edited:

a12b34c56

If wanting to diffuse the beams, why not use a diffuser? Ground glass are general purpose, flashed opal has the widest spread, structured diffusers make a shaped spot in the far field, "light shaping diffusers" can be chosen with a variety of output shapes. Thorlabs, Edmund Optics, and Luminit are sources.

Sounds more like the job of a custom made CGH or holographic diffuser to me. And a very expensive one at that. 8x8" less than 1.5" away?!? Good luck!
From what I could find so far light diffusers generate circular or elliptical beams but I did not find any references to rectangular beams.

atomd

Depending on required efficiency and acceptable manual labour a lot of multimode fibers that do direct beam shaping might be an option