Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I fit my laser module in a torch case

Inertia

So I hammered my laser diode into one of those modules so now the lasers body is in contact with the module. The problem is, my torch case is also metallic and I just recently came to know that the back cap of the torch with the spring uses the metal case as the conductor itself and as far as I know this would cause problems as the diode would die from the direct raw unmodified current since I'm using a driver that looks like this (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm really bad at drawing schematics

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_122810_627.jpg
    IMG_20240303_122810_627.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 12

Viruzzz

Electricity will not flow unless you've got a complete circuit, using a metal case as a conductor isn't uncommon in low power electronics.

In your diagram if you follow the top connection from the LED you can see that it is directly connected to one of the battery poles, the other side of the LED is where the modulation and filtering happens. Electrically it doesn't make a difference if one of those conductors is an insulated wire or a metal case so long as the circuit is designed for it.

That said, if you do connect something the wrong way round you could easily electrically connect the battery poles together in a short circuit, which would be bad.

Inertia

Electricity will not flow unless you've got a complete circuit, using a metal case as a conductor isn't uncommon in low power electronics.

In your diagram if you follow the top connection from the LED you can see that it is directly connected to one of the battery poles, the other side of the LED is where the modulation and filtering happens. Electrically it doesn't make a difference if one of those conductors is an insulated wire or a metal case so long as the circuit is designed for it.

That said, if you do connect something the wrong way round you could easily electrically connect the battery poles together in a short circuit, which would be bad.
Thanks for your reply, I understand but the problem is its the other side (negative) of the laser diode which is in contact with the case. I.e the body of the diode in contact with the module and module with the case

Ricker

So you need to isolate your diode from the casing of the host? Can you do case positive instead of case negative?

What diode are you using, most diodes are case neutral or positive with only a handful that I know of being case negative.

Inertia

So you need to isolate your diode from the casing of the host? Can you do case positive instead of case negative?
I think I might not be able to do that as the body of the diode which is in contact with the module is possibly negative. If that's the case it's definitely not possible unless, you isolate the diode from the module which would be bad for the diode

Inertia

What diode are you using, most diodes are case neutral or positive with only a handful that I know of being case negative.
I don't know myself it's an open can diode from an old dvd burner "DH- 16A3L". It could be case positive or neutral. How do I check safely?

Inertia

I don't know myself it's an open can diode from an old dvd burner "DH- 16A3L". It could be case positive or neutral. How do I check safely?
I think it's definitely case negative as the negative terminal does not have a isolation like on other terminals

So I hammered my laser diode into one of those modules so now the lasers body is in contact with the module. The problem is, my torch case is also metallic and I just recently came to know that the back cap of the torch with the spring uses the metal case as the conductor itself and as far as I know this would cause problems as the diode would die from the direct raw unmodified current since I'm using a driver that looks like this (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm really bad at drawing schematics
C0DD17B2-EA88-4DE8-8C2B-5A2054C46814_1_105_c.jpegB78E6BB0-830C-4FA3-828A-0CB4FD391B6D.jpeg