Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HighTechDealZ July 4th Sale!

time to celebrate this great nation's birthday with some high powered lasers sales!

Special prices will be in effect in my store through July 4th. All prices include shipping as they are free shipping. For anyone interested in the diodes [link=http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1208708105]here[/link] is a metered review of them that Hemlock Mike did for me.

Thanks everyone!

[link=http://www.hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=8]Single 650nm Laser Diode = $17.65[/link]
[link=http://www.hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=26]Three (3) 650nm Laser Diodes = $48.09 ($16.03 each)[/link]
[link=http://www.hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=27]Five (5) 650nm Laser Diodes = $78.45 ($15.69 each)[/link]
[link=http://www.hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=33]Completed Dorcy Jr 650nm Laser = $59.97[/link]
[link=http://www.hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=11]Completed MiniMagLite 650nm Laser = $46.28[/link]

EDIT: since this thread has turned into a thread crap hurricane...
These laser diodes are rated 80mW CW (which is what you'd run it at in a DVD burner, which no one will do) and have been pushed to 200mW. 245mW may be able to be achieved with a pulsed setup and proper cooling but has not been tested by myself. I got the 245mW figure from my supplier which is why it is advertised on my website.
EDIT2: I changed up my site significantly and removed any over spec advertisements. thx

This sale will end July 4th.

Hope everyone has a great holiday  ;D

Copied from later in the thread for all to see. Gotta say, your stubborn insistence on lying has really pissed me off:
pseudonomen137 said:
Scamming bastard. Just because you don't like the fact its fraud, doesn't mean you can just ignore it by calling it off topic.

In your PM you clearly state they haven't even ever been run at 245mW - Some person once overdrove them to 203mW.... well... okay? "I think with some TEC cooling or other cooling methods the diodes could reach 245mW and sustain their power. "
I think if I put lead in my dishwasher it'll turn to gold. I mean... what the heck guy.

So where did 245mW even come from? Its one of those "reach in a pull a number from deep within the rectum" power meters?

This is such obvious and gross fraud, I can barely contain my anger. Change your site! You know, its still possible to sell things without scamming people. For some reason that idea is lost upon people these days. I still sell lasers without lying about their specs, you can too - it leads to happier customers, and lowers the change of legal action being taken against you. A win win scenario right?

"I'm not ashamed that they only went to 203.
and for 5000 hours, no, I don't think anything that people push to the max power limits would ever last 5000 hours. " - you

So if you severly overdrive the diode PAST OPERATING SPEC to the point of pretty much killing it, you may be able to push 203mW out of it for a few hours.
.. and That translates to these being rated at 245mW CW HOW?!

I realize that its become the de-facto standard on LPF to call diode's CW ratings whatever someones pushed it to the most, but I gotta say I take issue with your "245mW" claims which are borderline fraudulent (just my opinion though). The spec sheet you link clearly states the CW output is 80mW, and I'm a bit uncertain as to which of the stated quasi-CW peak powers applies to these diodes.

If you call it an "xxxmW" diode, its very clear to me that means its max CW rating, so you're really selling "80mW" diodes. You can mention its peak pulse values, or even anecdotes of past overpowerings, but I don't see how you can call it a "245mW" diode.

Unless of course you are up for rewriting the spec as a seller. That's fine by me too, but that means that if I purchased 100 of your diodes for use at a constant 245mW output, I would expect (to the point of legal pursuit) you to replace every single diode that died after a reasonable MTTF, say... 5000 hours at the spec'd 25C. Perhaps you're willing to make that guarantee, and if so, consider my criticisms moot, but if you won't offer that guarantee to each and every of your customers, I would highly recommend you update your website to be a bit more... honest.

And sorry, I don't mean to seriously attack your or anything - I just want a little more responsibility with properly warning DIYers of their limits (this laser DIY boom over the past year has been very troubling for me. Both sellers and people writing guides have been downright irresponsible by not telling the end user the whole story. Its resulting in countless dead lasers, diodes, and stupid pot mods  :-/)

PS: Aren't these 660nm diodes (or 658nm more specifically). I can understand how 658nm rounds to 660nm, but rounding it to 650nm severly baffles me.

pseudonomen137 said:
I realize that its become the de-facto standard on LPF to call diode's CW ratings whatever someones pushed it to the most, but I gotta say I take issue with your "245mW" claims which are borderline fraudulent (just my opinion though). The spec sheet you link clearly states the CW output is 80mW, and I'm a bit uncertain as to which of the stated quasi-CW peak powers applies to these diodes.

If you call it an "xxxmW" diode, its very clear to me that means its max CW rating, so you're really selling "80mW" diodes. You can mention its peak pulse values, or even anecdotes of past overpowerings, but I don't see how you can call it a "245mW" diode.

Unless of course you are up for rewriting the spec as a seller. That's fine by me too, but that means that if I purchased 100 of your diodes for use at a constant 245mW output, I would expect (to the point of legal pursuit) you to replace every single diode that died after a reasonable MTTF, say... 5000 hours at the spec'd 25C. Perhaps you're willing to make that guarantee, and if so, consider my criticisms moot, but if you won't offer that guarantee to each and every of your customers, I would highly recommend you update your website to be a bit more... honest.

And sorry, I don't mean to seriously attack your or anything - I just want a little more responsibility with properly warning DIYers of their limits (this laser DIY boom over the past year has been very troubling for me. Both sellers and people writing guides have been downright irresponsible by not telling the end user the whole story. Its resulting in countless dead lasers, diodes, and stupid pot mods  :-/)

PS: Aren't these 660nm diodes (or 658nm more specifically). I can understand how 658nm rounds to 660nm, but rounding it to 650nm severly baffles me.

Some good points. I'll address each.

The power rating I advertise on my website is 245mW pulsed yes, but the CW rating is 200mW at 300mA.
see this graph (data from Hemlock Mike w/ Aixiz glass lens) for exact CW (continuous) power at different current measurements.
SLD1236VL.gif

As for the spec sheet, there is no spec sheet available for these diodes, only advertisements. The advertisement (not made by me) stating 80mW CW rating on that is way underspec and should actually be around 200mW CW.

And I'd be happy to sell you some (not 100, I have about 60) so you could test this, it has been tested before and I'm confident & guarantee my diodes will meet your expectations.

As for the wavelength of light produced I've never had that tested, I believe they are 650nm but they very well could be 658nm or 660nm or 640nm for that matter. I don't see how a few NANOmeters effect anything, as far as I know, the diodes produce 650nm light. All of these appear red and burn very well. If you know of a way to measure the wavelength of light please let me know, I'm interested.

& yes these are SLD1236VL diodes. thanks senkat.

I hope this addresses your concerns, Thanks & Happy 4th.

;)

Sorry, but its a very simple scenario as I see it. If I were to buy diodes from you, run them at 245mW CW - hell I'll leave it on 245mW for the 5000 hours straight if I sink it to 25C, if I have any problems would you replace the diode or give me a full refund including all shipping costs? If not, how can you call them "245mW diodes" regardless of who pushed what to what?

sk8er4514 said:
As for the wavelength of light produced I've never had that tested, I believe they are 650nm but they very well could be 658nm or 660nm or 640nm for that matter. All of these appear red and burn very well. If you know of a way to measure the wavelength of light please let me know, I'm interested.
Maaan, don't even try that on these forums. If you really know that little about what you're selling, you shouldn't be selling them. They are spec'd to 658nm, its that simple. They need to be for DVD burning operation. They will deviate a few nm, but that's in either direction, and if anything since they only shift deeper into the red as they heat up, they're 660nm or deeper.

The equipment to determine wavelength is very very expensive - I don't own any of it personally. Still though, its spec'd to 658nm, you can't just call it 650nm because you feel like it and don't truly know any better. IE, I got a nice 405nm diode sitting on my desk right now - or so the spec sheet tells me. No one has ever proven to me it ain't 440nm, or 532nm for that matter. Still though, if I sold then as 440nm diodes and I got arrested for fraud the next day, it wouldn't exactly surprise me :-/.

Can you please just update your site to make it more honest. You're close to the truth, but everything is only close nowadays. What ever happened to some plain old honesty here? I could call my 150mW green pen lasers 200mW green lasers and few would ever know the difference, but I don't. That's just wrong, and I hate competing with, buying from, or even having to talk to people who wouldn't mind blurring the same obvious distinction in the name of a quick buck.

Kenom

I beg to differ. The information on that is more accurate of 80mw cw. That is the rated cw output. NOT 200mW Not eve stretching it to be 100mw. THAT IS WHAT YOU PUSH IT TO. BIG DIFFERENCE.

now that this thread is WAY off topic, is there anything else that people want to talk about in the proper forum? (ie PM or the correct forum, not Deals & Discounts).

I'm selling lasers here at a great price. They have been pushed to 200mW which is great for a $18 red laser. I ship items as soon as I receive payment, which means your items are in the mail the same day or next day.

Scamming bastard. Just because you don't like the fact its fraud, doesn't mean you can just ignore it by calling it off topic.

In your PM you clearly state they haven't even ever been run at 245mW - Some person once overdrove them to 203mW.... well... okay? "I think with some TEC cooling or other cooling methods the diodes could reach 245mW and sustain their power. "
I think if I put lead in my dishwasher it'll turn to gold. I mean... what the heck guy.

So where did 245mW even come from? Its one of those "reach in a pull a number from deep within the rectum" power meters?

This is such obvious and gross fraud, I can barely contain my anger. Change your site! You know, its still possible to sell things without scamming people. For some reason that idea is lost upon people these days. I still sell lasers without lying about their specs, you can too - it leads to happier customers, and lowers the change of legal action being taken against you. A win win scenario right?

"I'm not ashamed that they only went to 203.
and for 5000 hours, no, I don't think anything that people push to the max power limits would ever last 5000 hours. " - you

So if you severly overdrive the diode PAST OPERATING SPEC to the point of pretty much killing it, you may be able to push 203mW out of it for a few hours.
.. and That translates to these being rated at 245mW CW HOW?!

they're clearly rated at 80mW, that is exactly how high they are meant to be operated at. that is the output sony has measured to be safe and give the minimum 5000 hours runtime. (btw pseudonomen, where did you get that 5000h mtbf from? I don't see that in the datasheet and I always thought laser diodes were capable of something like 10,000hrs)

it would be prudent to reword your page to state something like "Rated at 80mW, these sony diodes are capable of being pushed to upwards of 245mW with a reduced lifespan"

pseudolobster said:
(btw pseudonomen, where did you get that 5000h mtbf from? I don't see that in the datasheet and I always thought laser diodes were capable of something like 10,000hrs)

Yeah, diodes like this are typically rated 5k-10khours+. I just felt like giving him the benefit of the doubt by using the smallest MTTF I've seen on such a diode, its not a real number from anywhere. It seems the benefit of the doubt only went a very small way in this case though :-/

this would be like taking a ford pinto that's capable of 100mph, filling it with jet fuel and selling it as "OMG 300MPH SUPER CAR"...

sure, it goes 300mph, but regardless, the pinto's engine isn't meant to stand up to that and it may only drive a few miles.

it's not only a good idea to change that for the sake of honesty, but it'll probably also save you a bunch of angry customers returning their "defective" diodes that died after a couple hours use.

I digress. I just felt like pointing out jet fuel will not burn in a conventional gasoline engine.

Cyparagon said:
I digress. I just felt like pointing out jet fuel will not burn in a conventional gasoline engine.

Fair enough... I still thought it was a pretty good analogy though.

We used to buy these from senkat, they are great diodes and for a great price there is not a big deal here.

seems like anyone selling on here gets butt-hurt every-time another seller offers the same product ,but so far most problems on here isn't faulty or bad products but just the fact that theres compatition  ;D what the heck we are all laser freaks ;D

EDIT I'll shut up now I think I just went where i shouldnt Have lol :-X

Double edit I'm at 499 posts one more and I'll be a suspect for the "500" poster suspect list

Ok once again  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

john_lawson said:
seems like anyone selling on here gets butt-hurt every-time another seller offers the same product ,but so far most problems on here isn't faulty or bad products but just the fact that theres compatition  ;D what the heck we are all laser freaks ;D

EDIT I'll shut up now I think I just went where i shouldnt Have lol :-X

Double edit I'm at 499 posts one more and I'll be a suspect for the "500" poster suspect list

Ok once again  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

haha nice John.

and I was just working on a technical writing paper essay for an online course I'm taking and it has a lot to do with my business. people reminding me about ethical standards and whatnot also influenced my decision on this as well but not as much as my writing class.

I changed all the titles & descriptions on my site to be more accurate to the truth. I was never trying to lie about anything, it was just from 5 months ago when I started into this website and I didn't want to change it based on the fact that people were used to see "245mW" blah blah blah..

long story short. I fixed all the misleading over statements to the truth.

off topic: but I'm also working on a total revamp of my website design. some new effects for my newly created "news" section and I'll change up the template on the site soon to be a little more modern and in my coding abilities range. I'm really good with website design and zencart is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the possibilities of a website.

anyways. hope this calms some people down in this thred...

take it easy guys,
kendall

EDIT: got my little news scroller working and it really helps with space on the main page :) check it out by clicking the link below in my sig :cool: