Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi

Lasnas

Hi

Just a quick intro as I’m fresh to the forum.

I’ve just ordered my first ‘non souvenir’ laser, many years after the last one I had, after finding some helpful advice here on respectable firms selling quality products, but a tad higher rated than what is otherwise readily available in the U.K.

I went with Sanyo directly and ordered a pocket: 525nm/150mw and have just asked if it can add the pointer with 445nm/3w. (So hopefully it can be added without the extra postage).

Reasons for purchasing: The 150mw is to assist with removing a pest anemone (aiptasia) from a fish tank and the 3w just out of sheer curiosity as to the power output these can achieve, and experiment with it (safely).

Thanks in advance for the helpful discussions and tips, especially on safety aspects.

Hate to be the discouraging sayer of nays, but this:
The 150mw is to assist with removing a pest anemone (aiptasia) from a fish tank
is daft.

You're much more likely to harm your fish than the aiptasia. Just get some lysmata wurdemanni or use a chemical treatment.

Lasnas

Hi @bostjan

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve found that peppermint shrimp, like filefish, can be hit and miss in developing a taste for aiptasia and can end up snacking on LPS corals. But yes, peppermint is a better option than the filefish.

I do have some sea slugs (berghia) for which their only diet is aiptasia, but these are unlikely to hunt down single ones on another rock. Berghia are also happen to be a favourite snack of the peppermint shrimp, so can’t have the two species together.

So the laser was something I’d like to try out and to satisfy my interest really.

The other fish should hopefully be ok as the tank isn’t heavily stocked and I will of course be careful in my application.