Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Laser Pointer Lens Issue

furkanarda

I noticed that the laser lens was dirty and I wanted to clean it, then something like this happened. How can I fix that?

IMG_20240225_225226_800-min.jpgIMG_20240225_225235_374-min.jpgIMG_20240225_225241_143-min.jpg

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Your lens, and possibly the output coupler, are toast. Plastic lenses are very fragile and that last photo looks like you may have gotten some solvent or cleaning fluid under/onto the output coupler. How expensive was your pointer? You might be better off getting a new one.

furkanarda

Your lens, and possibly the output coupler, are toast. Plastic lenses are very fragile and that last photo looks like you may have gotten some solvent or cleaning fluid under/onto the output coupler. How expensive was your pointer? You might be better off getting a new one.
Is it possible to clean the lens?

For replacement you'll need something like this.

I don't know your laser so I don't know what diameter and what focal length you'll need but this is the type of part you'll be looking for. It expands the 532nm light fresh out of the crystals to then be collimated by the output lens. Alignment of this lens is tricky, the beam leaving the crystals (particularly in pen lasers) is pencil thin and even a fraction of a millimeter misalignment will send the beam off sideways.

Zoey Bao

To clean a dirty laser lens safely, use a lens cleaning solution and a soft, lint-free cloth or a lens cleaning pen designed for optical components. Gently wipe the lens in a circular motion to avoid scratches. If the lens is damaged or if cleaning doesn't fix the issue, it might need professional repair or replacement. Always ensure the device is powered off and handle the lens with care to prevent further damage.

What I would recommend most is that you should ask the seller about the cleaning notes...

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
To clean a dirty laser lens safely, use a lens cleaning solution and a soft, lint-free cloth or a lens cleaning pen designed for optical components. Gently wipe the lens in a circular motion to avoid scratches. If the lens is damaged or if cleaning doesn't fix the issue, it might need professional repair or replacement. Always ensure the device is powered off and handle the lens with care to prevent further damage.

What I would recommend most is that you should ask the seller about the cleaning notes...
Are you a bot?

First try Microfiber cleaning cloth the work best if it's not clean add a drop of ( Lens Cleaner as last resort ) and wipe it using microfiber
:alien:

GSS

Could be but it still will look bad and dimmer at a distance.
Looks like a 301, 303 style laser from the front pic.
Unless you got duped into paying alot of money "it happens" your better off getting another one on ebay for $10 or less. They are all over ebay for that price.
You will pay more for lenses then you will never align the first lens after the crystal..

Last edited: