Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Going to Build my first laser need help!!!

Ok I know the goggles I need have to be for a 445nm blue laser my question is where can I get them at the best price?

Ok I know the goggles I need have to be for a 445nm blue laser my question is where can I get them at the best price?

Don't cheap out on the goggles. It's your eyesight on the line. I suggest these goggles. They aren't the cheapest out there, but you can count on them to protect you.

Also, if you haven't had any prior experience with DIY electrical work or lasers, I would've suggested you to maybe build a DVD or Blu-Ray laser to learn the basics before moving up. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to kill a $50 445nm diode.

I didnt see you mentioning a lens...dont use plastic lenses with high power. Lazeerer linked some nice ones

Also since you want a decent high power i strongly advice you to use a 18650 batterie if that fits your host, if not and you use a smaller batterie i would also advice you to keep the power at about 600mA.... Just to keep it fun... Otherwise you have to recharge the batterie ever 2min.

My 1,1 eats trough 18650 batteries:yabbem:

Last edited:
I have a glass lense! my host uses the 18650 battery you recommend or 2 CR123. I'll go with the 18650 battery thanks for the recommendation.

just a run through of what you need/need to do

need:
laser diode
aixiz or sure module
glass lens if you plan on high out put
heat sink
host
high mah battery(s) to get correct voltage for driver
driver
flexible wire
heat shrink tube

needs to do:
ground your self for esd protection!! diodes are sensitive to electric shock.
build test load per schematic you posted
short cap out after current is set. (short + - leads)
mount every thing in cleanest least cluttered way into your host.
Handle you new laser like a gun.

tools needed
diode press (a torx T45 or similar style object)
rasor blade
electronic screwdriver set
heat gun/lighter
solder iron with electronics tip
thin solder
digital multi-meter.
for convinience a set of helping hands.

for setting the current, i use short leads with alligator clips. it reduces the amount of times you have to put your solder iron to your sensitive components.
never use the cold touch solder iron.
michael.

Last edited:
JimBolder thanks for the suggestion and the link that site will very useful for future builds! Thanks alot!

D

Deleted member 16589

I believe for 445nm there the same protection but for 532 there one OD value better.

Yay for first post,
I am a photonics engineer and I see your building a 1W 445nm blue as your first laser...
Please don't take it lightly and wear proper eye protection. Your eyes are worth more then $10 as I do not see any specs for the pair on ebay, though I am not saying they will not work. I am just not sure if they are CE certified, I would go with the eagle pair as mentioned earlier. They also look cooler.

NEVER look directly into the laser or its direct reflection even with protective googles it poses a threat to your eyes.

Which lens are you using?
In my opinion i prefer the aixiZ 445 glass lens over the G-1 lens'

Well heatsynced?
Is the housing you use properly heatsynced, at 1W these laser diodes get HOT and as stated earlier it is really not hard to fry some 445 diodes.

I have a glass lense! my host uses the 18650 battery you recommend or 2 CR123. I'll go with the 18650 battery thanks for the recommendation.

You use a flexdrive so use 1 18650 battery, if you use 2 cr123 the driver wont be happy :p

Yay for first post,
I am a photonics engineer and I see your building a 1W 445nm blue as your first laser...
Please don't take it lightly and wear proper eye protection. Your eyes are worth more then $10 as I do not see any specs for the pair on ebay, though I am not saying they will not work. I am just not sure if they are CE certified, I would go with the eagle pair as mentioned earlier. They also look cooler.

NEVER look directly into the laser or its direct reflection even with protective googles it poses a threat to your eyes.

Which lens are you using?
In my opinion i prefer the aixiZ 445 glass lens over the G-1 lens'

Well heatsynced?
Is the housing you use properly heatsynced, at 1W these laser diodes get HOT and as stated earlier it is really not hard to fry some 445 diodes.
Mister Photonics Engeneer, I would expect for somebody bearing such a prestige title to at least know what is "heatsinking" and how to properly spell it out.

And no, diodes will not burn out if they magically do not detect sufficient heat dissipation mass around them that moment.

If smaller mass for wicking the heat away from the diode is used, usage of diode should be restricted in ON/OFF duty cycles. That's that.

Next,

Building a very powerful Class IV laser as your first one is a very bad idea.
First, when you make a mistake (not if, when) it's gonna cost you a LOT more than if you were trying out with cheaper diodes and drivers.

Second, when you succeed you won't be even aware what kind of power do you have at your disposal. Power to blind people and cause harm to yourself and everybody around you.

Here's something for you:
HighTechDealZ - 650nm 20x DVD Burner LPC815 Sled

This cheap sled contains a red diode powerful enough for some 200mW of output power.

It also contains a burning NIR diode which you can use to practise extracting diodes themselves, which is a very useful skill if you're serious about this hobby.

Then, you need to pressfit it into the Aixiz. That and from there on out, if you mess up, you're out $10, not $50.

Red beam produced by this laser diode is great, and quite visible at night, and blasts away any cheapy lasers you can find in stores.
It'll be focusable to allow for burning tricks most people find impressive.

Start out with that.

You can try building your own driver to power your red diode, since reddies do not need incredibly amounts of power like 445nm blues do.

Search for LM317 or LM1117.

Well considering I said nothing about the diode magically dying without a heatSINK, I was more refering to how easy it is to fry while soldering if you heat the diode up to much. but either way I spend my time doing my job not critiquing spelling errors or trying to put people down.

Pay attention.

I'm not putting anybody down. I'm steering the OP in the right direction.
Going with 445nm lasers immediately is not the way to go.

Baby steps first, dude. We've all been there.