Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GH15130C8C (a $4 Multiple Quantum Well Diode) and possible driver design?

bulukaki

Looking at Sharp's catalog, I noticed that other than the usual TO-can diodes they also offer some oddball diodes packaged in so-called "t1.8mm frame". Turns out these are Multiple Quantum Well diodes that don't sell for much (not much power either). I'm kind of surprised nobody mentioned them at all on LPF.

20200226_Sharp-Microelectronics-GH15130C8C_C473923_front.jpg
(Picture by LCSC)
They come in 3 flavors: 515nm 35mW, 638nm 100mW, and 660nm 100mW. I'm interested in the green one due to its wavelength.

According to the datasheet, the diode has a nominal wavelength of 515nm (range is 510-525nm). It runs on, wait for it... 7 to 8.5 volts at 90 to 135 mA. A quick search on quantum well diodes told me that they are supposed to be more efficient than normal diodes but calculating energy input with P=V*I says the opposite. A normal 520nm 35mW diode by Sharp runs 6.5 volts at 70mA.

Okay, so in order to use these diodes in a build there are 2 main issues, which are mounting and driver design.
(Before we get into it, it's worth mentioning that these diodes are tiny, the lead spacing is just 1mm apart).

1. Mounting

render1.png render2.png
I think the simplest way to mount this diode is to use a proprietary optical shelf, which is raised at just the right height and uses 2 screws to hold the diode down. The diode can be lowered by sanding the shelf and raised by adding shims. Horizontal adjustment can be done manually before clamping down with screws.

2. Driver design.
drv.png
I'm not sure if there's a better way to do this but I'm thinking about boosting the voltage to around 10 volts by using MT3608 driver, then bucking with NCR420U or NCR420Z to set the current at ~135mA. Red dots emphasize where the MT3608 module ends.

MT3608 chip is used in very cheap boost drivers, but I want to fit this in a very small build so I may need to replace the trimpot and inductor with smaller alternatives.

ncr420z.png
NCR420U/Z is a 150mA LED driver with a resistor (Rext) to set the current. 6 ohms will have it at around 135-140mA.

I'm sure there are lots of experts on this, so any advice on this driver design will be really appreciated :)

Anyways, thanks for reading. I really want to make a quirky little build out of this quirky little diode.

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

Looking at Sharp's catalog, I noticed that other than the usual TO-can diodes they also offer some oddball diodes packaged in so-called "t1.8mm frame". Turns out these are Multiple Quantum Well diodes that don't sell for much (not much power either). I'm kind of surprised nobody mentioned them at all on LPF.

View attachment 72848
(Picture by LCSC)
They come in 3 flavors: 515nm 35mW, 638nm 100mW, and 660nm 100mW. I'm interested in the green one due to its wavelength.

According to the datasheet, the diode has a nominal wavelength of 515nm (range is 510-525nm). It runs on, wait for it... 7 to 8.5 volts at 90 to 135 mA. A quick search on quantum well diodes told me that they are supposed to be more efficient than normal diodes but calculating energy input with P=V*I says the opposite. A normal 520nm 35mW diode by Sharp runs 6.5 volts at 70mA.

Okay, so in order to use these diodes in a build there are 2 main issues, which are mounting and driver design.
(Before we get into it, it's worth mentioning that these diodes are tiny, the lead spacing is just 1mm apart).

1. Mounting

View attachment 72851 View attachment 72852
I think the simplest way to mount this diode is to use a proprietary optical shelf, which is raised at just the right height and uses 2 screws to hold the diode down. The diode can be lowered by sanding the shelf and raised by adding shims. Horizontal adjustment can be done manually before clamping down with screws.

2. Driver design.
View attachment 72849
I'm not sure if there's a better way to do this but I'm thinking about boosting the voltage to around 10 volts by using MT3608 driver, then bucking with NCR420U or NCR420Z to set the current at ~135mA. Red dots emphasize where the MT3608 module ends.

MT3608 chip is used in very cheap boost drivers, but I want to fit this in a very small build so I may need to replace the trimpot and inductor with smaller alternatives.

View attachment 72850
NCR420U/Z is a 150mA LED driver with a resistor (Rext) to set the current. 6 ohms will have it at around 135-140mA.

I'm sure there are lots of experts on this, so any advice on this driver design will be really appreciated :)

Anyways, thanks for reading. I really want to make a quirky little build out of this quirky little diode.
Don't attempt that kind of driver, too inefficient and finicky. Look at the LM3519, If you have any problems along the way feel free to reach out to me.

bulukaki

Don't attempt that kind of driver, too inefficient and finicky. Look at the LM3519, If you have any problems along the way feel free to reach out to me.
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out LM3519 but it's only 20mA. So if I want to use it at 140mA, I need to use 7 of them in parallel?

Giannis_TDM

Thanks for the feedback. I checked out LM3519 but it's only 20mA. So if I want to use it at 140mA, I need to use 7 of them?
Specs say that but if you look at the inductor peak current limits it's over 700mA, And FYI doesn't put any drivers in parallel for a single diode, a terrible idea, They would all mess with each other and do god knows what will happen, At best the diode dies. And found you a better IC, https://www.ti.com/product/TPS61165 As you can see, quite fond of TI :p

Last edited:

farbe2

Is there anything special about this diode?
I would personally go with a standard Osram PLT5-520-B1/B2 or a PL520.
I do have several of the PL520 and they are at or below 515nm if run below there 50mW rated power.
I did build a 514,8nm Pointer with one of these doing 30-35mW after optic, so I don't see a need to use a complicated design to use this package.

For a driver a LM3410 from TI would also do. Allmost the same as the TPS.
I did have great success with the TPS line from TI, very robust and easy to compensate- if needed.

bulukaki

Is there anything special about this diode?
I would personally go with a standard Osram PLT5-520-B1/B2 or a PL520.
I do have several of the PL520 and they are at or below 515nm if run below there 50mW rated power.
I did build a 514,8nm Pointer with one of these doing 30-35mW after optic, so I don't see a need to use a complicated design to use this package.

For a driver a LM3410 from TI would also do. Allmost the same as the TPS.
I did have great success with the TPS line from TI, very robust and easy to compensate- if needed.

I'm not sure either, but curiosity is going to kill me :p

Also thanks for suggesting LM3410.