Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GGW-H20L 6x Sled GB!!! THE EPIC GB THREAD LAWL!!!

artix

Re: 6x Blu-ray SLEDS GB! THEY ARE GOING FAST!

I got mine! ;D

JLSE

[move] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]Got mine! athankaaa you[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif][/move]

IgorT

Ok, either i'm incredibly lucky with the first diode i picked, or the wavelength is not as short as i heard, nor is the beam nearly as flat as with PHRs.

I was aiming at 200mW raw output, so i set it to 150mA. As i powered it up without a lens, i immediatelly thought it had a "fuller" output, than expected.....

Through a yellow filter, side by side with my high wavelength PHR of almost the same power, the spots have the same intensity. Lower wavelenths look much dimmer after this filter - it makes it very easy to sort them by wavelength, but in this case there is no noticable difference... It also shows the spot shape better, and it definitelly has much more volume, than the PHR. The wavelength and the power are almost the same as a hand picked high efficiency, high wavelength PHR.

It seems like i stumbled upon a high wavelength 4x. Unless it climbed.... I'm letting it cool off now to see if the wavelength get's shorter. The initial measurements were done at 26°C, with the entire laser still warm from me putting it together.

I'm gonna have to test more diodes, but this one is not bad... I'm getting 197.2mW at 150mA with a glass lens. That means around 200mW raw output which is what i was aiming for. This is similar to the highest efficiency PHRs...

If it can survive putting out 200mW in the long run, and does so at only 150mA, i'll be very happy with it! Let's see how long it can take this.

EDIT: The aspect ratio is definitelly better than with PHRs, but not as good as with 6x's. It's somewhere in the middle. So is the wavelength.
I have noticed a small wavelength drift with temperature, but this particular diode would seem to be stable. Reducing the temperature from 26 to 20°C resulted in the spot looking more violet, the filter test showed noticable difference from the high wavelength PHR, but the power after an acrylic lens increased due to increased efficiency. But the losses in the plastic lens increased a bit with the wavelength getting shorter. Not enough to make the power lower than at higher temperatures.

At 20°C and 150mA, i am getting 202mW with the glass lens. With a plastic lens i get 164mW.. This is higher than i expected from Rkcstr's graph, but maybe it's because the wavelength is longer. Or it's simply a higher efficiency diode... The losses in the plastic lens are more similar to those of a 6x, than a PHR, which confirms the beam profile being closer to a 6x than a PHR.

So far it's been running slightly over an hour, and the power is still the same, at the same temperature. At around 28-29°C the wavelength became higher than that of the high wl. PHR.

I will let this one run permanently. Hopefully it can survive 200mW raw ouptut.

jayrob

IgorT said:
[highlight]With a plastic lens i get 164mW.. [/highlight]This is higher than i expected from Rkcstr's graph, but maybe it's because the wavelength is longer. Or it's simply a higher efficiency diode... The losses in the plastic lens are more similar to those of a 6x, than a PHR, which confirms the beam profile being closer to a 6x than a PHR.

So far it's been running slightly over an hour, and the power is still the same, at the same temperature. At around 28-29°C the wavelength became higher than that of the high wl. PHR.

I will let this one run permanently. Hopefully it can survive 200mW raw ouptut.

164mW's @ 150mA's? Wow! You sure did get a HOTTER diode that the rest of us have so far! :cool:

Great information Igor! Keep it coming...
Jay

IgorT

You know what the funny part is... I marked down this particular diode, cos i droped it during extraction, and i think there was something else too. So while it was unlikelly to be damaged, i marked it down, for use in testing, just in case....

But yeah, it's doing way more than expected. I thought it would do 140mW at 150mA but i estimated the losses to be higher, and i wanted to stay bellow 210mW raw output. I was aiming at 200mW. Surprisingly enough, that's what i got...

Like i said, the losses could be lower, due to the longer wavelength. It is possible that Rkcstr's 4x was putting out the same power, but at a much shorter wavelength. I'll try to find a short wl. 4x to compare.

jayrob

Lol! I dropped an open can diode once. I figured it was damaged for sure! This was about a year ago when I was first experimenting with the open can diodes. I then connected this same diode to a host using an AMC driver which accidentally by-passed the driver and ran the diode directly off of the 18650 battery! - (312mW AixiZ acrylic) I even turned it on several times at this direct connect before Gazoo helped me figure out what was happening!

That same diode is now in my 'Open Can Ice Box TEC' laser and still putting out 272mW's @ 450mA's (acrylic lens).

Strange how some diodes are bullet proof!
Jay

Kenom

Now you are talkin about raw power is this before using any lens at all?  So that you can get an idea of the power before lenses?  cause I seem to recall you saying that it was inneficient cause you couldn't get all the light focused on the sensor and the actual heat of the diode was affecting the power.  I was actually thinking of taking a aluminum tube and mirror polishing the inside and using it as a reflective chamber to direct all of the light onto the sensor plus giving me a little room from the sensor so that the diode's heat doesn't affect the reading.

I really think you need to get yourself a spectrometer made up Igor.  I have a diffraction grating that I would be happy to send you so that you could set one up.  It would not give you an EXACT wavelength reading but it will give you a side by side view of which way the wavelength is going up or down. If your distance is exactly the same from diffraction grating to wall/stop, you can see a physical move to the left or right to indicate wavelength shift.

djnx

If you can include me in the 3rd batch for 1 that would be great.

Doc

IgorT

Kenom said:
Now you are talkin about raw power is this before using any lens at all?  So that you can get an idea of the power before lenses?  cause I seem to recall you saying that it was inneficient cause you couldn't get all the light focused on the sensor and the actual heat of the diode was affecting the power.  I was actually thinking of taking a aluminum tube and mirror polishing the inside and using it as a reflective chamber to direct all of the light onto the sensor plus giving me a little room from the sensor so that the diode's heat doesn't affect the reading.

I really think you need to get yourself a spectrometer made up Igor.  I have a diffraction grating that I would be happy to send you so that you could set one up.  It would not give you an EXACT wavelength reading but it will give you a side by side view of which way the wavelength is going up or down.  If your distance is exactly the same from diffraction grating to wall/stop, you can see a physical move to the left or right to indicate wavelength shift.

A relative wavelength calculation is not really a hard thing to do. I can use a thermal reading and an optical reading and from the difference calculate a factor, that allows me to sort diodes by wavelength very accuratelly. I don't know the actual wavelength of course, but i get a percentage. Like 70% of a 6x diode or 120% of a 6x diode, if the 6x is taken for a baseline, since i think it's one of the most consistent diodes. And when i say 6x, i'm talking about the GGW drive diode, of course.

When i'm talking about raw power, i don't put my diode in front of a meter. That is too unreliable in my oppinion. If the diode is in the module, the fast axis hits the inner walls of the module, never even reaching the thermopile. And to make it worse, the reading changes with the distance, even if the output covers the pile active surface from the start. I think this comes from the IR coming out of the diode, in the form of heat..

I measure the raw power by using a special "blu lens". A lens designed specifically for blu Nichia diodes, with a high NA (0.6) that collects the entire output, and a coating centered at 408nm. This lens has almost no losses with blu ray diodes, so the power reading is as close to raw power as is possible to get. Even the best lens will have some losses, but if i simply accept the reading as raw power, i'm closer to the truth than if i were to put the diode in front of a meter without any lens. I could then add the tiny percentage the 408nm coating wastes in reflections, but that's like <0.4%...

This lens also allows me to do some wavelength comparison, since the wavelength determines how many losses there will be in acrylics. If the increase with the blu lens compared to acrylics is higher, the wavelength is shorter, if the increase is lower, the wavelength is longer. Longer wavelengths pass acrylics better, so there are less losses. But this only works for comparing diodes of the same type, since the beam profile is another factor determining the losses.

IgorT

jayrob said:
Lol! I dropped an open can diode once. I figured it was damaged for sure! This was about a year ago when I was first experimenting with the open can diodes. I then connected this same diode to a host using an AMC driver which accidentally by-passed the driver and ran the diode directly off of the 18650 battery! - (312mW AixiZ acrylic) I even turned it on several times at this direct connect before Gazoo helped me figure out what was happening!

That same diode is now in my 'Open Can Ice Box TEC' laser and still putting out 272mW's @ 450mA's (acrylic lens).

Strange how some diodes are bullet proof!
Jay

Oh, open cans really are among the toughest diodes. I used to be scared of them, due to the exposed die, but then i took a closer look, and saw that unlike with most diodes, the die doesn't end flush with the top of the pedestal, but is slightly shifted down. The pedestal is wrapped around it just enough to prevent it from touching anything...

Also, i was once repairing this laser, which had an open can with a badly distorted base stuck in the module at a horrible angle. The base was completelly bent, because someone took a screwdriver to it, and tried to hammer it in.

Anyway, i had to put that diode out of it's misery. The angle was so bad, that a lot of the light simply hit the wall of the module. I hooked it up directly to my lab PSU, with only a capacitor in between, and current limiting set to approx 0.6A. It just kept working for 24 hours straight mounted in a vise! After almost preciselly 24 hours it turned into a 5mW diode...

That gave me a whole new respect for open cans! Even with all that mechanical damage the diode was not really harmed.

The GGW 6x is another VERY tough diode! Mine is putting out 264mW with the "blu lens"! :eek:

My test 4x on the other hand... I think it already lost a couple mW... But it's really hard to say with temperature and wavelength being a factor.

JLSE

My first one died at 215ma :-? I got as high as 199mW and so I continued to increase current trying for the 200mW mark. It droped from 199mW to 198mW and then p00f at 198mW / 215.6ma The diode was mounted in a standard Axiz + cheapy acrylic all nestled in a DX labby heatsink, the poor thing didnt even get a chance to get warm :-/

The driver I used is at lowest setting 82ma, when I attach 803t diodes to this p/s, they usually come in anywhere from 51mW to 75mW, the apparent 6x which these cannot be, ran at 63mW at the 82ma mark. I have had 803 diodes that perform better than the first diode tested.

Im going to remove the can of the new diode and compare it against a dead 6x from the LG burner.

Are these diodes similar to the 803t's, in that they will all continue the unpredictability? I also noted that the beam was more flat than half the 803s ive assembled, if the new sled didnt come with all the cool optics and two other burning diodes, id probably be upset ;)

treb76

If there's still time left, I'd like to jump in for a sled... If not, is there gonna be a batch 4?

djnx said:
If you can include me in the 3rd batch for 1 that would be great.

Doc

3 is over, Ill put you for 4.

same with treb

regards,

amk

daguin

If you are starting to set up the 4th run, I'll need 6

Peace,
dave

treb76

how many sleds are left for the 4th batch?

I would like to reserve one for batch 4, thanks. It seems like the capabilities of this diode are up in the air, but they are interesting to say the least.