Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: White Fusion Laser Mixing Kit

Re: Custom 7 Color DIY Laser Kit

Thats the thing, everyone has to do their own mirror. every diode made is slightly different, and you must "twist" your modules while installing to get the to line up JUST right... it's crucial, thats why we cant sell a kit with a pre-set turning mirror, you beams would likely be way off track.

it isnt as easy as popping in 3 modules, powering them and TADA!!! instand 7 color laser.... nope..

Theres a TON of tuning/tweaking involved, as well as case positive and negative issues. then comes the mounting of the kit itself, it must be free of vibration, AKA Isolated.

Just a few hinters that were already available, but may have been burried.

Im gunna enter my kit name in the contest now :D

Tyler - Dark Lasers

I don't see vibrations being an issue here. I only built the obsorption mounts to protect it if dropped.

you will need to let your adjustments settle and then adjust -> settle -> adjust a few times for perfect long and alignment. The thing to realy look out for is loose lenses. Those will get you going back to the adjustments till the end of time. I had a loose glass lens in the nut itself and it drove me nuts. you can tell if you have a loose one by turning the kit on each side seeing a change of alignment.

The heat sink mounts are stable. you can pry on them with your fingers and they will not move much and will return when you let go.

Thanks,

Ryan

I guess your right, but a fall durring shipping could joust the mirror, and selling the kit with the mirror pre-aligned could only be done if they bought all 3 diode too. specific ones, and line them up yourself, set the mirror. then dissassemble... now theres a "sweet spot" i'd call it. when the buyer gets the kit, they must then adjust everything (modules, and lenses) until they line up. and as long as the buyer uses the diodes the seller set the turning mirror with anyways. if one blows, hope and prey...

Hey Sight!! Theres an idea... sell a FULL KIT with the MODULES DIODES AND LENSES all set into the correct place, and turning mirror set. you could test it all with a pre-set up rig for testing a device such as this, and then ship them the single MAIN unit with all the main parts EXCEPT the drivers ;) then possibly add a note as to what they should set their diodes to (the red and blu)

It would cost more, but it would cost anyways. it would make what you've made so easy... 50% easier, just supply regulated power! :)

Just an Idea, I'd be willing to offer it on the site, and even do the set-up if you like :) more people might buy cuz thats the hardest hardest part! we skip that part for them, they will be more comfortable, and your devices intended user range doubles.

whaddya think?

Tyler - Dark Lasers

I have been working up the stock parts to do that and make full builds for people in contries where it is legal to sell turnkey lasers. With a build like this it is importaint to me to get every detail figured out for the best result before offering them like that.

The Sweet spot is consistant though. Lining up the "V" shaped knotches of the diodes to the same orientation will gives the same results as far as optimum output. I have to look again when I get home but with the sled flat I think the V knotches should horizontal to each other for the blu-ray and vertical for the red. I could have that backwards.

For half ready builds with the modules in place I think I would ship if put together and just pack it realy well.

Thanks,

Ryan

Great illustration Ryan! :gj:

Thanks Jay,

And thanks for the smoke in the battle tool. That was a great idea and helps a ton when doing the alignment. I find smart water bottles to be perfect for the job. One thing that I would suggest to do is to poor some flat black paint through a funnel down to the bottom of the bottle and let it dry. This will keep reflections from bouncing at odd angles and back at you. It may also add some smoke depending on the power of lasers you have going at the time :D

I think I will order a bunch of glass flashlight lenses from DX that are the right size for a bottle top and give them out with the kits.

Thanks,

Ryan

jayrob

Good idea! The black bottom too...

Nice gesture to give them out, but they would be worth a few of bucks...

Last edited:

hey, does the pocket mini's "extra glass lens" that you send with every kit fit in a bottle cap Jay???

If so i have one for EVERY SINGLE KIT you've EVER sold me. kept them all. I have two solid 3x6 bags of them. AND other sized ones from MXDL's, DIY greens

Let me know, I have near 100 of them i think (of ALL of them, not just the pocket mini ones) so people can have different sized UBER SOPHISTICATED calibration tools ^_^

That never gets old!! i love it!

Tyler - Dark Lasers

jayrob

A Pocket Mini glass lens can fit if the hole in the cap is sized right, but I used a plastic lens from a Pocket Pal host (sku 46) because it's size is the perfect size for a 20 oz. Pepsi bottle.

Fits right in the lid, so that when you tighten the lid, the bottle makes contact with the lens. So you really don't even need glue if you don't want...

But those glass lenses and aluminum reflectors are good items! I have a few that I saved, and now I give all extra parts with the kits.

I plan on using the glass lens and aluminum reflector to size down to fit one of my Key Chain CR2 hosts with a custom made heatsink and Q5 emitter for a nice Key Chain Flashlight mod! :)

ooh! Another high power LED mod! I like those!

I think i have a couple of SKU 46 lenses too Jay. anyone needs any, holler!

Tyler

Yes they are still for sale. I am only out of stock till mid october. Partly because I am away on buisness.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan, many thanks for your answer... I'll wait your kit. I also want to talk about a very special project with green laser and galvanometers that probably will interest you and everyone who mod laser and work with passion and fun. It regards about film industry where I work (as you can read my nickname is Steadicam)... but I'm new for the forum and I don't know if is correct or not to write of this in the forum section where I'm now. Sorry for my very bad english... please help me to go in the right way... Giovanni

ZRTMWA

OOH LALA! When did the first post get all new and fancy? I really like it though seriously. You should add jayrob's pictures of beamshot and your pictures of what it will look like after the enclosure. I really like this kit. It's portability seems great. I think it would be even better if it was offered with the proposed FireMyLaser analouge driver. Just wondering how does one determine the proper ratios to get the best color? I noticed jayrob showed his mW outputs, anyone else care to share on theirs? Once the modules are in place, the only way to adjust for the best colors is by turning the pot on the drivers? Thanks. This really is an amazing kit!

What FireMyLaser is doing is great! I will be checking that out when he is finished for sure.

I set my Blu-Ray to the max current I am comfortable with first. Then adjust the red and green down from there max till the blend looks right to me.

With modulated drivers I just set the total gain to the max on each and then use the adjustments in the spagetti software I am using to balance it out. You could also adjust the gain like you adjust the fixed current in the fixed build.

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:

OOH LALA! When did the first post get all new and fancy? I really like it though seriously. You should add jayrob's pictures of beamshot and your pictures of what it will look like after the enclosure. I really like this kit. It's portability seems great. I think it would be even better if it was offered with the proposed FireMyLaser analouge driver. Just wondering how does one determine the proper ratios to get the best color? I noticed jayrob showed his mW outputs, anyone else care to share on theirs? Once the modules are in place, the only way to adjust for the best colors is by turning the pot on the drivers? Thanks. This really is an amazing kit!

The driver is actually TTL. But the colour adjusting is analogue. ;) The way it works is that the driver turn the lasers on and off with different duty cycles (PWM) in such a high speed that it simulates analogue to give over 16 million colours. It wont do well in a scanner, but in a pointer it will do just awesome + it's more efficient to use TTL than analogue modulation.

One thing that I highly recommend is to get a high power green (100-150mW). That means that you will have to turn the current way down to match the red and violet and thus saveing allot of power compared to useing a 40-50mW green which uses the same pump as an efficient green. As a plus you save its lifespan and get a higher duty cycle.

ZRTMWA

Oh thanks sightfx and FireMyLaser.That's a great idea about the green modules FireMyLaser. Do the O-like drivers on the green modules have a pot on them or would another pot/ the driver on your TTL driver need to be adjusted? Thanks.

jayrob

You should add jayrob's pictures of beamshot and your pictures of what it will look like after the enclosure. I really like this kit.

.... This really is an amazing kit!

Since I posted right under the 1st post, I went ahead and put my full length beam shots in the night sky in that post... :D

Last edited:

Oh thanks sightfx and FireMyLaser.That's a great idea about the green modules FireMyLaser. Do the O-like drivers on the green modules have a pot on them or would another pot/ the driver on your TTL driver need to be adjusted? Thanks.

The o-like driver will have to be removed, the RGV driver will have fully adjustable intensity for each laser.