Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: DIY Green Kit! Host, Heatsink - Easy Assembly!

Re: FS: DIY Green Kit! Host, Heatsink - Easy Assem

jayrob said:
It has o-rings at every joint, so it is definitely water resistant, but I have not tried to put it under water or anything like that...

As far as what I recommend, it would depend mostly on user preference. Personally, I like the custom front piece. Because of the clear aperture.

Although the glass (yes it is glass) lens looks nice, the custom aluminum piece offers better performance. The glass will cause a very small amount of reflection that may show up as very faint side spots that you would notice in a very dark room. Also, the extra element will reduce the power by a little. Maybe 5mW's or so...
Jay
Yeah I think you've convinced me for the aluminum piece.

Well if you get the chance, you should test and see if it can work underwater (of course without the module inside to start out with). Think how much your sales would go up if you could advertise it as a waterproof laser! ;D ;D ;D

jayrob

Well, there is an o-ring at every joint on the host. I would say that the tail cap (silicone tail button) is the weakest point...

I would guess that if the retaining ring that holds the clicky into the tail cap is nice and tight, it should seal the silicone boot against the host.

Anyway, I don't know if I want to be the one telling people that it is ok to take it under water even if I could test one successfully. :-/
Jay

Ok this, to me seems better than the Kryton Groove host. You offer 2 choices, one with the custom front peice and one without, with a drilled reflector. if i order the one with the custom front peice will i still get the optional parts (the reflector, brass ring, glass lens, and o-ring), lens cap and instructions?

jayrob

Yes! :)

All of the extra parts will be included...

Normally, I do not drill out the reflector if the kit is ordered with the custom front piece. But I could do that easily enough, just ask me to do it when you order.
Jay

In that case i'd love one with all the extras and the drilled reflector (if the reflector job doesn't cost any extra).

Do you have any IR filters left? could i have one of these with the kit? how much extra?

thanks

jayrob

Yes, I have a few IR filters. They cost me $10 dollars from Nova plus shipping. So I will offer you one for an additional $14 dollars with the kit.

I have 50mW modules as well. - Add $32 dollars. These are brand new and only tested for power by myself. I do not guarantee this type of item though. Because it is too easy to damage by leaving it on for longer than is recommended. Or if someone were to turn the pot on the driver.

O-like has higher quality IR filtered modules that they recommend a duty cycle of 60 seconds on / 60 seconds off. It would be a good rule of thumb to use this same duty for these cheaper modules...
Jay

okay then i would like one of these ir filters also. How shall i pay you?

jayrob said:
Yes, I have a few IR filters. They cost me $10 dollars from Nova plus shipping. So I will offer you one for an additional $14 dollars with the kit.

I have 50mW modules as well. - Add $32 dollars. These are brand new and only tested for power by myself. I do not guarantee this type of item though. Because it is too easy to damage by leaving it on for longer than is recommended. Or if someone were to turn the pot on the driver.

O-like has higher quality IR filtered modules that they recommend a duty cycle of 60 seconds on / 60 seconds off. It would be a good rule of thumb to use this same duty for these cheaper modules...
Jay
After you run out of these, you should stop by optotronics optics section, around page 2/3. 80% IR filtering cheap! I think it's a whopping $1 per filter.

PS: I got off of my lazy ass and got you a link ;)
http://optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=f-0006
I'm sorry, my price was slightly wrong! $0.99.

EDIT: I love photography, here are some macro shots that I took with my new lens. Bare with me as I learn how to use it to perfection. NOTE: HUGE IMAGES AHEAD!
http://zaf.garyshood.com/upload/DSC_0082.JPG -- Picture of the module with the heatsink (bottom, made by Jayrob) and the factory threaded object (drilled out by Jayrob).
http://zaf.garyshood.com/upload/DSC_0083.JPG -- Picture of the front piece. The module goes in through the hole on the south-east side of this picture.
http://zaf.garyshood.com/upload/DSC_0084.JPG -- Picture of the front piece. The beam comes out the hole you see.
http://zaf.garyshood.com/upload/DSC_0085.JPG -- Picture of the front piece...again! The module goes in aperture side down in this picture.
http://zaf.garyshood.com/upload/DSC_0086.JPG -- What the module will look like after it is put together in the host, although you should never see it this way because of the way it is put together. But I mean: Look at all of that metal! If this module is safe from dropping, it's safe from bullets ;D.

I really must commend Jayrob with his wonderful kit. Bravo, good sir!

jayrob

I have one of those from Optotronics as well. It's not the same. It is about 1/2" wide and about 1/8" thick. The ones from Nova are about 10mm X 10mm and very thin and darker...

GAFFNEYYY, I will PM you...
Jay

jayrob said:
I have one of those from Optotronics as well. It's not the same. It is about 1/2" wide and about 1/8" thick. The ones from Nova are about 10mm X 10mm and very thin and darker...
Ah, alright then, just trying to help us all save some cash ;). I also edited my previous posts with high-res macro shots.

jayrob

Hey nice close up pictures man!

About the IR filters from Nova, I only have two left that I will let go of, but I want to mention that with this DIY Green Kit, the 10mm X 10mm filter will have to either have the corners trimmed a little to fit inside the custom aluminum front piece, Or...

If you are planning on using one of these IR filters from Nova, let me know when you order the kit, and I can make sure that the front piece is drilled out with a slightly larger bit. Large enough to fit the IR filter so that it can be glued inside. It would sit right at the aperture of the small exit hole. (on the inside)

Or I might just see if my mini belt sander will take the corners off...
Jay

Kenom

Hey jay, do you know if the 5mw o-like modules are the exact same lens, diameter, setup as the 150mw modules?

jayrob

I am pretty sure it is. I have not used one of the 150mW modules, but the 100mW and the 50mW modules are the same. I asked Susie if the 150mW modules are the same size and she said they are...

So, probably it is the same lens. I did a repair for Golden Dragon and he had an extra front barrel and lens left over from the 100mW module that we used. I will e-mail him and tell him to contact you... (the barrel got destroyed, but the lens is good)
Jay

Kenom

she told me that she'd send me 3 or 4 lenses for the cost of shipping. ($4) But it will take some time for her to ship it to me.  so I would GREATLY appreciate it.  Have you seen a issue with bad divergence on these?  The unit I've got (actually montana64's) is horrible at about 100 yards with a dot size about 4 feet wide.  I tried to change the focus and then buggered up the lens, as the lens sits ON TOP of the mounting.  It's kind of cool as this module is the exact same size as the module in my BFG that is in need of repair.

I've unscrewed the top section and if golden dragon has just he front barrel sections taht are left over in good condition I'll pay him for one.
Ken

On another note, I've finally gotten my hands on one of these builds and it's very well put together. Montana64 wanted me to put it on my meter and find out what the output was on it and see if I could fix the focus. Very nice unit. I highly recommend getting one of these.

jayrob

Hmmm... no, I have never seen one that out of focus. I e-mailed Golden Dragon and asked him to contact you either way.

Thanks for the props on the build Ken! :)
Jay

Bought and payed for. Hey jay, make DEAD sure you use the MIDDLESBROUGH address i PMed you and sent in a paypal email!!! Thanks a lot :D

Jase