Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First FAILURE :PHR-803T Laser

Re: First build; PHR-803T Laser

The lens has two notches on the top of it. Theyre the two small straight indents directly across from each other on the black part of the lens.

Well Blu-rays need the lens close to them the focus to infinity. Which is why pressing the diode in the module past being just "flush" is necessary when using an acrylic lens. Glass lenses get closer to the diode and give you a wider range of focus.

So either disassemble the module and press the diode in further, or invest in a glass lens. Or you could flip the acrylic lens upside down, but iirc, that causes the dot to have a weird pattern around it

Hiemal

Is my diode not pushed in enough? I thought you guys said it was perfect recession no?

Looks like it needs to be further recessed or the lens needs to be closer to the diode... you could always just ditch the focus ring.

Hiemal

The piece of shit driver I was using killed it.

Had it hooked up, and suddenly it got a lot dimmer. Checked it with a standard linear driver, same thing, was LED'd. Then it was completely dead and wouldn't light at all.

$10 wasted. Self Confidence = zero

Hey, don't feel too bad. In this hobby, only wasting $10 is a lucky streak :p

jimdt7

What can i say !
When i started with lasers, i killed 2 flexdrives
with 445nm diodes attached !

Jim

Last edited:
Unfortunately with lasers and laser accessories price usually dictates quality :/ and drivers are the bread to the proverbial peanut butter and jelly sandwich that is laser construction. Without the bread, the sandwich is messy and doesn't exactly work right. Much like the driver is needed or else the laser is messy and doesn't work right.

Going even further, shitty bread is never good for a quality sandwich. A shitty driver is not good for a quality laser.

Point is buy quality once, cry once at the price and rejoice with the product
Buy shit once, cry at quality and loss of money

Hiemal

Well, the good news is that I'm going to get a new PHR-803T or a 6x sled... And a 445 nm laser diode (in the module) that mattster on here is selling me for $25. He's going to test it out to make sure it works!

Also, Adjustable 1-1.5W Blue 445-450nm laser diode driver /1.5A | eBay

1W 445nm blue laser diode driver / 405nm laser driver | eBay

Which is better? The aixiz one doesn't seem to have a potentiometer on it... meaning it's not adjustable.

AND, where can I get a 6x blu-ray burner sled for cheap? The ones on ebay are kind of expensive, and modwerx is sold out.

Last edited:
Well those drivers are the same quality as the one that killed your PHR, unfortunately. If you really want a long lasting build, get a Flexdrive or something, you'll be happy you spent the extra money on the driver. and besides, you're saving like $20 on the 445nm diode anyway! So for $50, a Blue Diode with a driver is nothing to complain about!

Hiemal

Well those drivers are the same quality as the one that killed your PHR, unfortunately. If you really want a long lasting build, get a Flexdrive or something, you'll be happy you spent the extra money on the driver. and besides, you're saving like $20 on the 445nm diode anyway! So for $50, a Blue Diode with a driver is nothing to complain about!

from what Jimdt said, flexdrives don't always work too. :p

Plus, I don't quite understand why the flexdrive costs so much...

from what Jimdt said, flexdrives don't always work too. :p

Plus, I don't quite understand why the flexdrive costs so much...

To be fair, they work a lot better than the one's you've linked to. They cost more, like Ghost said, because there is really no competition. But something just tells me that if almost everyone I've seen use them has had success and a lot of pros use them, they're worth it.

But hey, its your money...

*Edit* and Jimdt said he killed the flexdrives, not the flexdrives killed diodes I assume. It's easy to accidentally short something out on any driver if you aren't careful!

Last edited:

Hiemal

Someone needs to make a boost drive that works and sell it.

Not like the ones that members sell on the forums, but for actual sale for a decent price. Like 12 bucks would be amazing.

Hopefully Wolf's driver will come through okay. :p

Someone needs to make a boost drive that works and sell it.

Not like the ones that members sell on the forums, but for actual sale for a decent price. Like 12 bucks would be amazing.

Hopefully Wolf's driver will come through okay. :p

Microboost drive works well too!

Wishful thinking for now, my friend... wishful thinking. But dog speed to a new driver!