Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First build completed

jordanka16

Got my first build put together finally. It's a Sharp GH04W10A2GC, I'm using the open source boost from @Giannis_TDM set at about 800mA which should be about 1.2 watts, but I have no way to measure that besides it looks bright and burns things (including my finger) pretty easily. A host from survival laser, and the lens and module is from @Shmackitup.

Overall it works pretty well, the boost board was a great help. Oshpark made the PCBs no problem, and they went together well except my surface mount IC soldering needs a little more practice.

The driver sticks into the heatsink a little far, leaving the module sticking out, I ordered everything out of order or I could have gotten a shorter one. I was thinking of replacing it but I can't find a half length module for a 5.6mm diode anywhere in stock, if someone knows let me know.

It's been super foggy here for a week, perfect for taking photos, but of course the day I finish this the fog leaves and the rain rolls in, oh well. The photo makes it look brighter, but it's got a pretty good beam, the purple light trace in the air is very eerie, and the color is awesome.

Just wanted to say thanks to the whole forum, there's a ton of information here that made learning what I have so far about lasers possible, besides the more tangible resources.

Also, thanks for making me spend so much on these, lol. I planned to just build one to have as a cool thing, but now I have 2 serious lasers ( this and one from jlasers), 2 cheap pointers from ebay, 2 pointers I'm building up, and a plans for a high power green and blue. Oh well, it's fun.

hxcSxzQ.jpg

z7XKGkJ.jpg

VhyTL8o.jpg

a7CRe6S.jpg

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Excellent work but you gotta push the aixiz module into the heatsink more otherwise the diode will overheat from lack of heatsinking. Otherwise it looks great

sigseglaser

Nice first build! I also recently put together my first build using a survival lasers host, and I also ran into the issue where using a rectangular driver pushed everything too far forward to fit normally in the host. My temporary solution was to steal the heatsink-holder-section from the other (same model) host I had purchased. However, I used the C6 host which is a lot cheaper to be using for spare parts than that stainless steel host. You could try contacting survivallasers to see if they'll give you just that extension section for cheaper, though.
My long-term solution was to design a circular PCB for my driver circuit, but obviously that's lot of work. You could also change drivers to one of the circular ones that survivallasers (or soon jlasers) sells, but where's the fun in that? :)

jordanka16

Excellent work but you gotta push the aixiz module into the heatsink more otherwise the diode will overheat from lack of heatsinking. Otherwise it looks great
There's not enough room on the inside unfortunately, the back of the module is sitting against the driver, which is up against the battery contact board. I'm looking for a half length module to replace it but until I can find one I'm just watching the heat and trying to keep it cool.

Good work. I love to see DIY builds, especially when they're a little wonky.
That diode is a really nice one: good choice.
What do you want for your next build?

loreadarkshade

Sweet! I have some 15mm boost drivers if you want to recess that diode, specifically for that AA / 14500 host

jordanka16

Good work. I love to see DIY builds, especially when they're a little wonky.
That diode is a really nice one: good choice.
What do you want for your next build?
I have a big blue diode, NUBM44 I believe, but I think I want to do a powerful green next, I bought a 450nm from jlasers so I have blue covered at the moment. I also have a 502nm module I got from zraffleticket, and a 488nm module to build as well. Then after all that probably a red of some sort, but I haven't even started researching that yet.
Sweet! I have some 15mm boost drivers if you want to recess that diode, specifically for that AA / 14500 host
This is actually an 18650 host, but all I really need to do is swap out the module back half for a shorter one, it doesn't get particularly hot anyway. Plus I like using the driver I built, lol.

Congratulations on this build. I guess for many people the first build is usually a learning experience.

jordanka16

Congratulations on this build. I guess for many people the first build is usually a learning experience.
It was for sure, it's a lot of fun and very addicting, plus a nice challenge working with the small and sensitive electronics.

I think one day I want to do a different type, a gas or solid state laser. Building a ruby one would be fun, and a nice piece of history too.