Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FEL for <$1000?

So the feasability part is still in question then ?
I think some idea of what your friend does for a living might play into this too. If he has access to some of the usually harder to get components for a great price there may be some credibility to the claim. (For instance, if he has access to optics that are considered to be "flawed" by a scientific department and they would throw it away. Although they might not be 99.9% perfect he is willing to take the loss of 2% the scientists couldn't take. So he gets a bunch of optics components free. Huge savings on a major component that most people wouldn't qualify for.)

He's a Freshman physics major like I am :p While he could probably get a lot of free, throwaway stuff from the physics and engineering buildings, I still doubt he will be able to get everything for that cheaply.

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started in the forum and I'll go ahead and apollogize for whatever I do that is not in the right place in the forum.

I placed an order with Lazerpoint expecting to get service in line with there "ships within 24hr" statement. It has now been over 2 weeks and I have nothing and my laser still has not shipped. Any comments out there?

Generally speaking, if it's not from a site that has a good rep here, you shouldn't order from them.

By the way, this is in the wrong place - go to General, click "New Topic", then create a new thread that way to your liking so people can help you out.

"He's a Freshman physics major like I am :p"

Hmmm. Maybe he's a better connected "Freshman physics major" with good stuff that you can't get.
:D:na::D

But seriously, it may not be possible but as was stated before it may be a good opportunity to make some money and teach him a lesson about more thinking before talking.
It would still be nice to see what he comes up with though. Maybe he has a completely novel approach to one of the procedures. (You are too far away from California to use the free seismic energy for "wiggling" the apparatus.):wave:
But maybe that's what the "girls" might be used for...there are bound to be some parts/ways to get wiggles/jiggles from them...

:crackup:

Haha. I wouldn't actually take that bet, especially because he wouldn't pay if he lost.

And actually, he did come up with an interesting idea that I am going to check out with him and we may work on it together. He was thinking of using the Lorentz force, because the MeV energy levels required for visible light from an FEL seems... just ridiculous. His idea uses something about the conservation of momentum and something else... he couldn't explain fully over text. Anyway, I will hear more about his idea tomorrow after physics class.

Essentially, Chuki. And, you can tune it to whatever wavelength you want, quite literally. So you have a rainbow of laser diodes, plus all the cancer-inducing UV/Xray/Gamma rays you want, and all of the heat-beaming IR and microwaves you want.

Its always been my greatest dream to march my One thousand ton battle mech down the field of battle, nestled safely in my neo steel cockpit , unleashing beams of VISIBLE Green goodness at my enemies and burning them to bits.

Will the Free electron laser make this possible? Could we mount one on Asimo and turn him into an elemental?
56658.jpg

Last edited:
HAH! Maybe? Would have be one awfully small FEL :p But if we can compact it enough, I don't see why not!