Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Extreme weather conditions

What are your experiences with portable diode lasers left for a few hours in bad conditions, such as temperatures below 0°C and in hot cars over 55°C?

What happened to the laser diode, and what happened to the battery? Any worst case scenarios? I need to know what to expect.

I saw a nice, rugged 50 mW laser (one of those DX used to sell) left our for a few hours below zero. The beam became quite dim, I'd say way more than 5 times weaker, but I have no idea what happened in the following days as it wasn't my laser. :thinking:
When I'm skygazing during the cold nights, I always keep the laser inside my sleeve. Never had any problems.

If the laser is a dpss unit, the cold will make the output less, due to the module not being able to heat up and stabilize.

As far as diode lasers; in my experience, the colder the laser is, the higher the output.
I have seen a 445nm handheld put out significantly higher power when left in the freezer for a few minutes before metering.

In regards to heat, I try to keep my lasers cool at all times, if possible. :cool:

TuhOz

As far as diode lasers; in my experience, the colder the laser is, the higher the output.
I have seen a 445nm handheld put out significantly higher power when left in the freezer for a few minutes before metering.

In regards to heat, I try to keep my lasers cool at all times, if possible. :cool:

So Finnish winter climate (0...-20C..) is great for my 1.2A 445nm build? :eek: (when outside)

+1 For information!

Last edited:
So you say Finnish winter climate (0...-20C..) is great for my 1.2A 445nm build? :eek: (when outside)

+1 For information!

I supppose your weather would be ideal. lol

One downside is that extreme temperature fluctuations can cause condensation on the inside and outside of the laser, though. :undecided:

That's why sensitive electronic equipment should be wrapped in a plastic bag, acclimatized and then removed from the bag. I do it whenever I'm bringing something in a heated room.
People with glasses should know. :)

There is one problem, though. The battery. It shouldn't be kept so cool because irreversible damage should occur, apparent or not.