Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ever accidently shined a laser in your eye?

Being on a laser forum, I'm just wondering how many people here have ever had a laser shined in their eye? I've come close with a green, it shined right past the inner part of my eye (not sure what it's called.. it's where you get sleepy dust LOL).

Does anyone have permanent damage or a story to tell?

Well! Last night I took a zap of 300mW of O DEAR GOD straight in my left eye. I then had a spot in my eye. I knew it was bad when it didn't go away after 10 minutes. I knew it was REALLY BAD when I woke up and it was still there :'( :'(

JLSE

HumanSymphony said:
Well! Last night I took a zap of 300mW of O DEAR GOD straight in my left eye. I then had a spot in my eye. I knew it was bad when it didn't go away after 10 minutes. I knew it was REALLY BAD when I woke up and it was still there :'( :'(

How did you manage that? Losing my vision scares the $hit out of me, and have had a close call or two. Get to your eye doctor ASAP!

Ive heard there are regiments of vitamin and other things to aid in recovery, but it has to be prompt.

WannaBurn said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1237262581/0#1 date=1237265557]Well! Last night I took a zap of 300mW of O DEAR GOD straight in my left eye. I then had a spot in my eye. I knew it was bad when it didn't go away after 10 minutes. I knew it was REALLY BAD when I woke up and it was still there :'( :'(

How did you manage that? Losing my vision scares the $hit out of me, and have had a close call or two. Get to your eye doctor ASAP!

Ive heard there are regiments of vitamin and other things to aid in recovery, but it has to be prompt.[/quote]
I don't even recall how it happened lol. It's not too bad. It's not in my direct line of vision, kind of off to the right a bit. It's more annoying than it is bad. If it's permanent I can live with it. I surely can't afford a doctor visit and meds anyway.

JLSE

Ive read that vitamins A, E, and B are commonly used to help. Its better than nothing and not expensive to obtain.

You should spend a few moments on google and search for related articles. Just dont over do it with vitamins, as some can cause health issues if taken in high dose.

I also read that injuries to the eye can be more severe when they are out of focus to the point source (in your case from the side). The light is focused down further, and is more concentrated into a smaller spot.

Best of luck with it, just dont ignore it! Do what you can... and for gods sake put on some goggles!

Spoz

I did once, which led to me purposely shining a laser in my eye...

I accidentally caught a 5mW red laser in the white of my eye, and it lit up my vision in a peculiar way, so I tried it again. If you get it at the right angle, it lights up the entire inside of your eye and casts shadows on your retina from the blood vessels that look like lichtenberg figures (google it). Obviously I would not try this with anything more powerful than 5mW (preferably 1mW) and not blu-ray lasers.

The key thing you have to be aware of is you dont actually shoot it in the lense of your eye! Look to the left for example, and shine it in the right side, so it well and truly hits the white part of your eye and is not focussed on the retina. If you don't understand exactly what I mean, don't try this for your own sake. Even a 5mW laser can cause damage if focussed on the retina.

Back on topic - I caught a blu-ray in the eye at about 120mW when I accidentally moved one of the wires attached to the diode. It wasn't in a case so it moved easily. It was collimated but fortunately the exposure was too brief to cause noticeable lasting damage. It did teach me a lesson though.

No, I wear certified goggles... Beyond that [highlight]I treat a powerful laser that is on as if it were a loaded gun[/highlight].

Here's some nice bedtime reading of what happened to someone else like you: my first eye injury

The eye is  supposed to heal over time. I ruined a finger on my hand when I was a kid. I thought I knew everything, that knife ended up cutting a tendon and could never fulled be repaired. I learned my lesson then and there. Life lessons can be costly. Best of luck.

yeah, one or two specular reflections from a dilda, but i was wearing goggles so nothing special happened to my eyes, just a spot which was gone in 2 minutes.

HumanSymphony said:
[quote author=WannaBurn link=1237262581/0#3 date=1237267174][quote author=HumanSymphony link=1237262581/0#1 date=1237265557]Well! Last night I took a zap of 300mW of O DEAR GOD straight in my left eye. I then had a spot in my eye. I knew it was bad when it didn't go away after 10 minutes. I knew it was REALLY BAD when I woke up and it was still there :'( :'(

Ive heard there are regiments of vitamin and other things to aid in recovery, but it has to be prompt.[/quote]
I don't even recall how it happened lol. It's not too bad. It's not in my direct line of vision, kind of off to the right a bit. It's more annoying than it is bad. If it's permanent I can live with it. I surely can't afford a doctor visit and meds anyway.[/quote]
eat carrots, lots and lots of carrots!

Spoz said:

I accidentally caught a 5mW red laser in the white of my eye, and it lit up my vision in a peculiar way, so I tried it again. If you get it at the right angle, it lights up the entire inside of your eye and casts shadows on your retina from the blood vessels that look like lichtenberg figures (google it). Obviously I would not try this with anything more powerful than 5mW (preferably 1mW) and not blu-ray lasers.

The key thing you have to be aware of is you dont actually shoot it in the lense of your eye! Look to the left for example, and shine it in the right side, so it well and truly hits the white part of your eye and is not focussed on the retina.  If you don't understand exactly what I mean, don't try this for your own sake. Even a 5mW laser can cause damage if focussed on the retina.

Back on topic - I caught a blu-ray in the eye at about 120mW when I accidentally moved one of the wires attached to the diode. It wasn't in a case so it moved easily. It was collimated but fortunately the exposure was too brief to cause noticeable lasting damage. It did teach me a lesson though.
lol this sounds extremely stupid but i really wanna try it, especially after googling those pics. A basic dollar store red should work?

Spoz said:

The key thing you have to be aware of is you dont actually shoot it in the lense of your eye! Look to the left for example, and shine it in the right side, so it well and truly hits the white part of your eye and is not focussed on the retina.  If you don't understand exactly what I mean, don't try this for your own sake. Even a 5mW laser can cause damage if focussed on the retina.

Yeah... that's what we need...  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
                    more posts of guys purposely shinning a laser in their eyes...
so that the moron noob with a 100mW green will try the same thing.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
[/sarcastic]

I see posts like these and all that comes to mind is.....
Holy crap.... the children have a loaded gun.......... :'(

Jerry

Grix

When I was younger I tried to shine my DX 30mW in my eye for a split-second. The spot on my eye didn't go away for one month.

JLSE

mikeeey said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1237262581/0#4 date=1237271063][quote author=WannaBurn link=1237262581/0#3 date=1237267174][quote author=HumanSymphony link=1237262581/0#1 date=1237265557]Well! Last night I took a zap of 300mW of O DEAR GOD straight in my left eye. I then had a spot in my eye. I knew it was bad when it didn't go away after 10 minutes. I knew it was REALLY BAD when I woke up and it was still there :'( :'(

I don't even recall how it happened lol. It's not too bad. It's not in my direct line of vision, kind of off to the right a bit. It's more annoying than it is bad. If it's permanent I can live with it. I surely can't afford a doctor visit and meds anyway.[/quote]
eat carrots, lots and lots of carrots!

Spoz said:

lol this sounds extremely stupid but i really wanna try it, especially after googling those pics. A basic dollar store red should work?[/quote]

I would advise against using a dollar store pointer for something like that. Not that I would even recomend it PERIOD..

I purchased a spoiro kit some time back for $50. It was to check out the circuit used etc, and came with a cheapo $-store type red. The label indicated that the output was <5mW, so I loaded some fresh button cells into it, and checked the output to see if it was even near 5mW.. The laser came in at 10mW on two different meters :eek:

So unless you have a means of testing the actual output, I would strongly advise against any such behaviour. The majority of pointers and keychain lasers are made overseas. That being said, why would you want to risk this?

Even if you dont suffer immediate and noticable effects, it doesnt mean you wont be wearing coke bottle glasses in the distant future, and I doubt you would notice any degradation in your night vision. Doing something like this would be just plain stupid anyway :p

Grix said:
When I was younger I tried to shine my DX 30mW in my eye for a split-second. The spot on my eye didn't go away for one month.
Most likely the spot is still there and your brain just learned to blank it out, as it does with the regular "blind spot".