Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dvd burning lasers confused. i need help

spizza

ok, so i want to make a burning laser out of a dvd burner, but tbh, im completely confused now.

i was going to buy a laser diode off either High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby! or StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store as well as an aixiz housing.

do i need a laser driver? whats it do and how important is it really? i ask this because ive seen videos of people making them without drivers, like kipkay's video. apparantly i need a Laser Diode Driver Test Load too, so i can test it or something.. i thought it was just as simple as connecting the diode to a power source? no?

also, why do people use maglites? why not use a cheap crappy torch instead?

can i just make the laser by getting the diode and connecting it to some batteries?

Yes, you CAN make a laser by attaching a diode to a power source. But, this cuts it's lifespan significantly, and there is a chance the diode will break immediately from getting too much energy at once.
You need a laser driver because it regulates how much energy is being transferred from your battery to your diode. The driver gets soldered to the pins on your diode, and then the battery source will get solder to the other end of your driver.
You will need to have the current set so you can choose how long you want your diode to last, and how powerful it will be. To do this, you must purchase a Test Load driver, solder it where the diode would go, and make contact with a Digital MultiMeter onto your driver. Then you turn the knob on the DMM to the current you would like.
Drivers are incredibly important if you want a long laser lifespan. KipKay does not use one because he obviously did not care about the laser, and for all we know the laser died right after he finished his MagLite hack.
As for your MagLite question, I guess people use them because they are nice little builds. They are pretty difficult for a first laser build, though. Dorcy Juniors are much easier to work with, and preferred by a lot of people on LPF.

I hope this answered your questions. This is a lot to take in at once.
L. Connor

I don't want to make this an uninviting welcome, but let me start by telling you to read the FAQ's! It has the answers to most of your questions. As per building a laser in a MagLite, it is not recommended as there is not a lot of room.

In the link you just posted... Do you mean you want the first or second option on his page?
Because the "Pocket Mini" option does not include a driver, but the "HOT" option does, and he will set the current to what you want before he ships it.

I ordered one of those less than a month ago, except with a Blu-Ray laser diode instead. It was actually installed crookedly, and never emitted any light what so ever. I contacted him and he refunded my money, but it is your choice. If it works it is a great deal.
This is a 20x Red burner, which I believe runs well at 250mA. I'm not positive about that though, so you would want to get a more experienced member's opinion.

spizza

ill probs still get it from there, unless you can recomend a better place to buy it off.

was he easy to contact and willing to refund the money?

Yea I sent him an email and he promptly responded. He said he would refund it completely or send me a new diode. I had since then gotten a new diode anyways, so I just chose the money. :D
HighTechDealz is trusted on LPF though, and Kendall, who owns the site, is a really good guy. The messed up diode was probably just a one time thing.

spizza

ok thanks for all your help. im off to bed now, its 4 in the morning here :p

The owner at HighTechDealz goes on the forum often. His username is sk8er4514 , you shouldn't have any problems contacting him.
Also, the LPC sleds with 20X diodes should run at 420mA maximum. Of course you can go higher, but you need adequate heatsinking to match with the current.

Oh, wow. No problem. Well all you have left to figure out is what current you need your driver to run at, and a battery source.