Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR NDB7875 3W 445nm

Seffers93

Hey all!!

Getting very close to a couple builds. Will hopefully post them next week depending on ship times.

Anyway, just got the NDB7875 in the mail from DTR with the module and driver. Looks fantastic, but I realized I never looked at the data sheet for the diode.

Doesn’t have a max for power output. But when I google the diode I get mostly 1.6W or 1.6W - 2W.

Is this thing actually 3W? Also does DTR usually set drivers accordingly before shipping? Or should I desolder and put it on a test load?

Thanks,

Seth

DTR will set the driver @ 2.3A IINM, unless you ask for a different setting and you will get close to 3W with a G2 or G8 lens but with a 3-element you will get closer to 2W.

Seffers93

DTR will set the driver @ 2.3A IINM, unless you ask for a different setting and you will get close to 3W with a G2 or G8 lens but with a 3-element you will get closer to 2W.
Good to know. I ordered a G8 lens with it.

Thanks RedCowboy

I purchased many diodes in the past from DTR and they all worked well. I have the tools to press these diodes myself and also purchased many drivers from Lazeerer back when he was still selling them in bulk. Don't know if Jordan is still involved with the putting diodes in modules and setting up the drivers and installing the lenses, but I would be fine with purchasing from his site regardless.

Seffers93

I purchased many diodes in the past from DTR and they all worked well. I have the tools to press these diodes myself and also purchased many drivers from Lazeerer back when he was still selling them in bulk. Don't know if Jordan is still involved with the putting diodes in modules and setting up the drivers and installing the lenses, but I would be fine with purchasing from his site regardless.
Yeah I’ve only made a couple purchases from DTR and spoken once via email. They seem like really great place to buy from. Will definitely use them again. I was just curious about that one diode.

Yeah I’ve only made a couple purchases from DTR and spoken once via email. They seem like really great place to buy from. Will definitely use them again. I was just curious about that one diode.

I have one in an MS-SSW II host doing three watts.

Nice. I’m hoping to put this into a 501B with a heatsink from Rich.

Good luck with that. I used such a large host because at the time they were the highest power 445 nm diodes and dissipated a lot of heat.

Seffers93

Good luck with that. I used such a large host because at the time they were the highest power 445 nm diodes and dissipated a lot of heat.
I had it fired up for a few seconds last night outside of a host and noticed it getting fairly warm. Didn’t let it get hot, but I definitely see what you mean.

But as long as my 488nm survives when I get the driver for it.. I’ll be happy 😜

501's are nice hosts but Rich also makes heat sinks for others, such as many of the Convoy housings which are available as blanks, here's just a few of mine.

The 1st and 2nd use 2 x 18350's but the convoy S11 in the back holds 2 x 26350's .... of course they can all also hold a single cell 18650 or 26650.

With Li cells the 1st 2 numbers are the dia. and the last 3 are the length.
18650 is 18mm wide and 65.0mm long and 18350 is also 18mm wide but 35.0mm long, yes there is enough spring compression to make up for the 5mm difference in length when using 2 cells.

SANY7352.JPG

I had it fired up for a few seconds last night outside of a host and noticed it getting fairly warm. Didn’t let it get hot, but I definitely see what you mean.

But as long as my 488nm survives when I get the driver for it.. I’ll be happy 😜

Mine was setup at 2.4 amps. It just does hit 3 watts. Enjoy your new 488 nm laser, but it is difficult to say exactly what wavelength it will actually be.

Last edited:

Seffers93

Mine was setup at 2.4 amps. It just does hit 3 watts. Enjoy your new 488 nm laser, but it is diffi8cult to say exactly what wavelength it will actually be.
I think as long as it’s fairly close, I’ll be a happy camper. One of these days I’ll find a binned one or maybe find a 495nm that’s not too pricey.

That would look more teal than blue. I have a 493 nm one that looks a lot different than either of my two 488 nm lasers. They tend to look more light blue. If that is what you want I hope the one you have is well into the 490s.

Seffers93

That would look more teal than blue. I have a 493 nm one that looks a lot different than either of my two 488 nm lasers. They tend to look more light blue. If that is what you want I hope the one you have is well into the 490s.
Right. I definitely want something around 495nm. But I kind of want one of everything so I’ll be happy with whatever the 488 turns out to be.

I saw a “spartan” yellow-orange on here the other day that I realllyyy want. Can’t remember the wavelength but it was amazing. Although I think it might’ve been DPSS. Don’t think I could build one of those given the whole crystals thing.

I have several Sharp 488's and they do vary in perceived color a little, but they mostly vary based on the surroundings because of how our brain is involved in our vision.
For instance a 488 next to a 450 looks different than next to a 520, try it some time and see how that blue/green teal/aquamarine beam is a real chameleon.
Same goes for the background, if trees and bushes or a room with brightly painted walls.

SANY6715.JPGSANY3751.JPG
HowIsColorPerceived.gif

Last edited:

Seffers93

I have several Sharp 488's and they do vary in perceived color a little, but they mostly vary based on the surroundings because of how our brain is involved in our vision.
For instance a 488 next to a 450 looks different than next to a 520, try it some time and see how that blue/green teal/aquamarine beam is a real chameleon.
Same goes for the background, if trees and bushes or a room with brightly painted walls.

View attachment 76727View attachment 76728
HowIsColorPerceived.gif
Very interesting. Also, beautiful beams. I’ll be out in the middle of nowhere during thanksgiving, I’ll have to experiment outside.

Also planning on taking a drone. Thought it might be interesting to take it a few miles out and turn back to see the beams in the sky. I have a radar app on my phone where I can make sure no planes are in the area.