Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

do you put keychain laserpointers on you keys?

do you put keychain laserpointers on you keys?

• yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • no

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
If I had a sure way of preventing them from going off I might carry one around.

Unfortunately, lasers are inefficient, which means they deplete small batteries very quickly. Any handheld laser powerful enough to be fun is a liability and has few practical uses. Lasers really are useless in daily life and if they weren't so pretty this hobby wouldn't exist.

That said, if I were to carry a laser on a keyring, it would have to be absurdly powerful for its size. Like at least 1000 mW. A red diode is a good candidate because they are relatively efficient and bright.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Well I guess it depends on the person. Personally I could have just as much fun with a 5mw as a 5w.

Well I guess it depends on the person. Personally I could have just as much fun with a 5mw as a 5w.

My favorite lasers are 50 mW or less (color is more important than power). Honestly, I kinda don't like class IV lasers because I value my eyeballs. But a keychain laser just seems like it should be an abomination.

My favorite lasers are 50 mW or less (color is more important than power). Honestly, I kinda don't like class IV lasers because I value my eyeballs. But a keychain laser just seems like it should be an abomination.

I love my single mode 505's - 520's and my 488's as well as 405's and especially during late fall and winter when most the leaves fall off and can target trees hundreds of yards away.

Have you ever looked at your lasers spot/termination hundreds of yards away through a telescope ? It's very interesting and not a little round spot at all.

Now the challenge becomes to make it a little round spot, try a dpss laser and a beam expander, now look through your telescope again.

SANY6737.JPG

I think these keychain-laserpointers are geat beginnter laser pointers. My first one was a keychain laser pointer i got from the funfair (or "kirmes" as we say here in germany). These laser pointers are so weak, you wont get any eye damage even if you point it right into you eye if, of course, you don't force you eye to stay open.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Even still I wouldn't purposefully point it in your eye or anyone else. But yeah they are great for people to learn with or play with cats

Viruzzz

Even still I wouldn't purposefully point it in your eye or anyone else. But yeah they are great for people to learn with or play with cats
Yea but you're not a kid. My first laser was also a tiny little thing that was bought at a faire/market thing, I don't know how old I was at the time but I do know that for some bizare reason at the time it seemed like a good idea to find out if I could look directly into it, luckily it was a very weak laser and possibly a nearly dead battery too, because the dot was hardly visible in normal light.

it didn't cause any permanent damage. I wear glasses and my prescription is thesame on both eyes and I only looked into the laser with one of them so It's very unlikely to have done anything permanent, and besides as I remember it it was only about as bright as quickly glancing towards the sun on a somewhat bright day, which while unpleasent isn't going to destroy your vision immediately.

If the laser hadn't looked as weak as it did I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have tried it.