Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Did research, but I need help with details

ok, so i am new to this hobby, and this site, and i am so glad i found this site. I have already learned soooo much about lasers and i think this community has definitely saved my eyes, and my diodes. But now im finally at the point where i really want to get my first laser built, and in spite of hours of research, i need just a little bit of help with details. I have two phr-803t diodes, and plan on using the aixiz module to contain them, i have a wide variety of potential power supplies, so i can adjust my design to what you think should work best, but i really need help with the driver. i would like to run this laser at 115-120 mA. i have a 12v 1000 mA output ac/dc wall wart, and i would like to power the laser using that, i want to build an lm317 circuit as a driver, (i think, but correct me if i'm wrong) and i have all the hardware from an old hp computer that i just took apart to work with, i also have plenty of electrical tools and solder, so i just need to know how EXACTLY to build a driver, and if i can build it from the computer parts, what exactly should i look for from it???? any help is appreciated, i just really want to get this built now.

Oh, and in case I didn't get my appreciation across, thank you soooo much LPF :bowdown:

I think this will help alot, so thank you a lot, I had already been to that page, but reviewing it now, it makes a lot more sense. Any idea as to whether or not I can find all the parts for this driver from a computer?
Thanks again by the way!

I think this will help alot, so thank you a lot, I had already been to that page, but reviewing it now, it makes a lot more sense. Any idea as to whether or not I can find all the parts for this driver from a computer?
Thanks again by the way!

You're on your own on that one. I'm sure that somewhere on the motherboard that there are surface mount-type resistors that you could use if you could mange to harvest them and figure out their ratings, but meh that's a lot of :effort: and they are very tiny.

You'll need to buy the LM317 anyway, so just order the parts you'll need at the same time. They are very cheap.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I think the coolest thing about this page is that now I can use my spare 9v wall wart as my power supply and save my 12v one for other things. That should work as a supply right?

Awesome, thanks a ton. This should spell out the last few steps to producing my first laser pointer, much appreciated.

Ok, now my really noobish question, I know it is not recomended to view lasers in general without special laser goggles, but everything I've read about goggles and their importance seems to be about concerns over lasers with over 2W power, for this laser specifically would welding masks/ goggles provide adequate protection?? I definitely plan on getting goggles in the future when I build stronger lasers, but Ive been wondering about this specific laser. Any idea? :yh:

You're welcome. :)

So first, any laser has the potential to do harm, even the low-powered ones.

If you or someone else takes a direct shot to the eye, you could be in trouble as lasers rated over 5mW can do damage to your eyes before your eye even has the chance to blink.

If you are attempting any sort of burning tricks, you will need goggles for sure as even the reflection off of the things you are trying to burn can hurt your eyes. Welding masks and sun glasses won't cut it. You need lenses that block out the specific wavelength of light that you are using.

Last edited:
And again, I feel this has saved my eyes. Definitely planning on a few burning tricks and other planned reflections, so thanks a ton, I'll sell some stuff and get myself a pair of goggles I guess, any specific pair you would recommend? I have looked at a $40 pair of eagle laser goggles, but if you know of anything better for that price or less let me know.
Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll be able to build this in a week or so.

djayz

Welcome to the forum, you're in the rightest place n in good hands now, you can rely on people here i myself know a thing or two might be able to help u with your driver..
U need 120~125mA i guess , u need is
1x LM317
1x 10Ohm resistor (instead of 2 as in ddl diagram)
1x 1N4001
1x Capacitor 16v 10uF (or higher)
1x 100 Ohm Potentiometer (you can eliminate it , you just wont be able to reduce the current manually anymore)
And solder them togather same as the diagram.. There u have a 120~125mA driver..

And Yes a 9V source will be much better than 12V for your build as it will run less hot, and is closer to the ideal voltage i.e 7.2V DC..

Thanks djayz, good to see a parts list on here, gonna look for parts locally first then see if I will have to search elsewhere.

djayz

You can always collect the capacitor from a dead computer mouse, 1N4001 from a dead chinese phone charger, Resistors from motherboard.. try to be a good observer if u want to save a market tour :D

I may have most of these, but I will have to go buy the lm317 regulator still. But thanks, I should have most of those components lying around my house.

djayz

LM317 costs $0.20 so you should always buy a couple extra , u never know if you lose it or break it.. happened to me and i had to go so far away to buy it again , and then i bought a whole bunch of them cuz i knew this hobby, aint going nowhere mate.. XD