Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Converting a battery pointer to wallwart pointer?

I built a spirograph and the batteries on my pointer doesn't last long. Is there a way I can hack my pointer and supply power from a wallwart?
Thanks!

jimdt7

^^^^^ Yes but that may overheat the componements on the driver !

Jim

hmm, no. I'm 99% sure that's not the case. It will only overheat with:
1: Heaps current going through- wont happen because of current limiting, and
2: Extra voltage above what is required for driver- wont happen because the wallwart is supplying 3v, exactly what the driver was designed for.

I owe you a massive apology if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure it wont over heat components any more than 2xAAA's

Last edited:
Nocturnal is correct.

The wallwart is a constant voltage device. It will output 3V no matter what it's connect to. The driver in this case will see 3V at 0-1A the driver will then use the constant voltage source to regulate a constant current to the diode.

Constant current and constant voltage devices are binary opposites. Constant current will give out a constant amperage while the voltage draw can fluctuate within the devices rated range.

Last edited:
Jim, if you have no clue about what you're talking about, don't open your fat yap.

All voltage supplies, which include batteries, are ideally supposed to have infinite current supply capability. A wall wart supplying only 1A max is just a limitation of the hardware, and ideally would also provide infinite current.

If your driver is relying on the battery or wall wart to limit current, you have a pretty shitty driver.

jimdt7

^^^^^^^^^
I said that because some cheap chinese laser dont even use a driver, just a resistor
or simply nothing.
I also said that from my experience when i plugged my cheap green to a power supply,
at 3V and 1A and the switch board started to glow because the resistor was flaming hot.

Jim

Last edited: