Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Computer Specs thread (Debate+Support)

Re: Computer Specs thread

Day said:
Laptop - Gateway - P-7811FX
Intel Centrino 2 duo processor 2.26-GHz
HD 1920 x 1080 17 inch
200 GB HDD 7200 rps? - opps RPM, but who doesnt want 7.2k rps? freaking amazing read and wrote no?
512 MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 GTS
4 gigs of DDR3 RAM
Decent Set up premade
No graphics bottleneck here  ;) :p

Nice laptop. The next time you get one though you should get it through ibuypower. It will be faster and cheaper. + they have SLI graphics for laptops!!

www.ibuypower.com

Niko said:
Give it a year for the prices and the technoligy to catch up/go down.

Exactly.

IMHO this is the worst time for buying a new PC.

We are in between the new line of nvidia/ATI cards (the release of a gtx295 says so, same happened with the 9800gx2 and 7950gx2 and so on...same thing with ati, maybe a new revision but that's it).

New screens will be available for a cheaper price, more than 24"...maybe 120hz monitors...16:9 screens too... also, phenoms and i7 have JUST been released, so maybe you could wait for the next microprocessors line or wait to buy a newer stepping (remember what happened with the core 2 duos? the new stepping works MUCH better, consumes less power, etc...).

I'd wait at least a year 'till DDR3 gets properly established..

Well said, even though I already did take the Plunge on some DDR3.....(I kind of regret it)

iskor12 said:
Nice laptop.  The next time you get one though you should get it through ibuypower.  It will be faster and cheaper.  + they have SLI graphics for laptops!!

www.ibuypower.com

Those are just Clevo notebooks. You can buy them cheaper from Sager, with better options and a much better warranty policy. If you're looking for one of those laptops, I'd go through this list to compare prices and warranty policies etc between various resellers.

Good call on the actual name of the makers. Still Ibuypower is a good company :)

I see potential here

3054d1196685207-crazy-funny-pcb-memories-legendary_thread.jpg

WRM

MacPro 3.0 Ghz 8 Core
12 gigs ram 800 MHz FB dimm
2 terabytes
23" Apple Cinema Display

Powermac G4 Duo 1.2Ghz (mirror door)
4 gigs ram
1 terabyte
20" Apple Cinema Display
w/Windoze XP pro on virtual PC

MacBook 13.3 2.4 core duo
2 gigs ram
250 gb

Did I mention that I am a Mac person........

WRM said:
MacPro  3.0 Ghz 8 Core
12 gigs ram 800 MHz FB dimm
2 terabytes  
23" Apple Cinema Display

[highlight]Did I mention that I am a Mac person[/highlight]........

That Mac had to of cost as much as the New USA Stimulus package! ;D

[highlight]Oh no he didn't :) [/highlight] 

This is what I do with Macs
mac-beer-server.jpg

OK ok, I am just joking around.  [highlight]Macs[/highlight] are good, but if your like me and most likely several other people, Macs just aren't worth the huge price you have to pay just to get them.  Sure, they are more secure, but how often do you truely have problems with a PC running [highlight]Linux[/highlight] or [highlight]Windows[/highlight]?  The only time where I could see myself actually buying a [highlight]Mac[/highlight] is if I started doing a ton of Video Editting and even then it's nothing that a PC can't do.

I am not trying to make this sound one sided, because the truth is, I would buy a [highlight]Mac[/highlight] if I was a Millionare.

I think that eventually I will make myself a [highlight]Hackintosh[/highlight], some day.

WRM

Iskor, That is a VERY cool device. I've seen iMac aquariums and various other reuses of Macs; but this one is right at the top, sort of like a "Drinkintosh". Yes, the 8 core MacPro was expensive; but not completely out of line with the price of current 8 core Windoze boxes. These Macs do an incredible job of running my business, and I've always been able to handle my own tech support ever since my main computer was an Apple //e (1984). Also, I never have to reinstall my system, the hardware NEVER fails, is never DOA and has the coolest styling in the industry. All of these things definitely maximize the value to dollar ratio with the Mac. Bill

WRM, I must say that their styling is very good, but if you make your own PC, then you can make them look as cool as you want. Also, I too, am my own tech support. I pretty much never have problems, but I am always fixing other peoples PC's!! :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much was that Mac?

WRM

With the discount for education it was just under $5,000 including the 23" display. I added 10 gb ram and three other 500 gig HD's (the HD's just slide in and they're installed, which is so cool). I guess that this added about another $1000 bringing the total to around $6,000. This machine screams. It runs Photoshop at light speed. Photoshop is optimized for 8 processors as is the operating system, so everything moves along quite quickly. You probably could have constructed this for $3,000 on the build your own PC side; but I don't think that a comparable pre configured Dell would not be much less. Thanks, Bill

WRM said:
With the discount for education it was just under $5,000 including the 23" display. I added 10 gb ram and three other 500 gig HD's (the HD's just slide in and they're installed, which is so cool). I guess that this added about another $1000 bringing the total to around $6,000. This machine screams. It runs Photoshop at light speed. Photoshop is optimized for 8 processors as is the operating system, so everything moves along quite quickly. You probably could have constructed this for $3,000 on the build your own PC side; but I don't think that a comparable pre configured Dell would not be much less. Thanks,    Bill

I've always wondered, are those 12GB really used?

In a 64bit system I don't really know if you can address that whole lot of memory... Since we do not really see lots of systems with that much...maybe just 6GB for now (3*2GB triple channel). But what do you use? 3*4GB? 6*2GB?

Also, that 8 core is a dual processor setup?

WRM, I agree, Something like that from dell or any other big box companies really wouldn't sell it for much cheaper.  Everyone is greedy!! :)

Well that is a wicked setup you have there and I must say that I am rather Jelous!  However I do like my Quad core!  

Hey, Did you mention anything about graphics?  What kind of GPU does it have?

Niko said:
I've always wondered, are those 12GB really used?

In a 64bit system I don't really know if you can address that whole lot of memory... Since we do not really see lots of systems with that much...maybe just 6GB for now (3*2GB triple channel). But what do you use? 3*4GB? 6*2GB?

In theory, a 64bit system can address 16,777,216 terabytes of RAM. Most operating systems set a much lower limit though.

Niko said:
Also, that 8 core is a dual processor setup?
Yeah, it's dual quad-core xeons.

Memory Limits in [highlight]Windows Vista 64 bit edditions[/highlight]

Home Basic     8gig
Home premium     16gig
Buisness 128gig
Enterprise     128gig
Ultimate  128gig

All of it could potentually be used, but the odds of that happening are slim to none.

On average my 64bit eddition of Vista will use just about 3.5gigs when I am playing a game. So in essance, if I where to be photo edditing, video encoding, and playing a game all at the same time, I might be able to hit about 6 to 7gigs used. :)

So, basicly for what I use my computer for, anything more than 6 gigs is impracticle. ;)

iskor12 said:
Memory Limits in [highlight]Windows Vista 64 bit edditions[/highlight]

Home Basic     8gig
Home premium       16gig
Buisness 128gig
Enterprise     128gig
Ultimate   128gig

All of it could potentually be used, but the odds of that happening are slim to none.  

On average my 64bit eddition of Vista will use just about 3.5gigs when I am playing a game.  So in essance, if I where to be photo edditing, video encoding, and playing a game all at the same time, I might be able to hit about 6 to 7gigs used. :)  

So, basicly for what I use my computer for, anything more than 6 gigs is impracticle.  ;)

What? 128GB?
No way....if you jump from 4GB (32bits) to 16GB (64bits) there is really no way of using 128GB of DDR2/3 on that system....also...you have to substract the memory addressed for the video card (some have 2GB already, so you won't be using all your ram).

Niko said:
No way....if you jump from 4GB (32bits) to 16GB (64bits) there is really no way of using 128GB of DDR2/3 on that system...

I think you're confusing the math involved here...

The emergence of the 64-bit architecture effectively increases the memory ceiling to 2[sup]64[/sup] addresses, equivalent to approximately 17.2 billion gigabytes, 16.8 million terabytes, or 16 exabytes of RAM.

64 bit is not just "double 32 bit", it's the difference between 2[sup]32[/sup] and 2[sup]64[/sup]... tens of billions of times more address space.