Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coming soon...

tinkertavernco

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last few months working on something very exciting.

We managed to procure a batch of 'true yellow' modules at a 57x nm wavelength - then, our designer worked with Giannis to create a fully custom host like none other.

It's almost ready - here's a quick sneak peek!
HrlQrGg.jpeg

Wavelength, host and pricing will be unveiled soon.
ETA: next week!

Did you need to photoshop the color? I wasn't able to get any of my cameras to get the color that yellow that you show.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Is this something you are going to be able to produce still next year?

I don’t want to miss out on these again, but I’ve just spent out and I need to pay a laptop off.

Last edited:

tinkertavernco

Did you need to photoshop the color? I wasn't able to get any of my cameras to get the color that yellow that you show.
^This, I can't accurately photograph yellow lasers to save my life

As far as I know there's only one camera that can really photograph these well, it's the Sony DSC-F828. That camera has an "RGBE" (red, green, blue, and "emerald") sensor which is uniquely suited to photographing lasers in the weird chartreuse-yellow range. The thing is over 20 years old, so the pixel density is not great, but it's the only camera I've found that's able to get good pictures of these.

Is this something you are going to be able to produce still next year?

I don’t want to miss out on these again, but I’ve just spent out and I need to pay a laptop off.

We do hope to keep the new yellows available for the foreseeable future, but the supply chain here is a bit more complex than our other lasers, so it's a bit more difficult to predict. We're building 40 units in the first set, along with a few other wavelengths (405, 450, 488, 520, 561, 593.5 and 638) in the same host :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
As far as I know there's only one camera that can really photograph these well, it's the Sony DSC-F828. That camera has an "RGBE" (red, green, blue, and "emerald") sensor which is uniquely suited to photographing lasers in the weird chartreuse-yellow range. The thing is over 20 years old, so the pixel density is not great, but it's the only camera I've found that's able to get good pictures of these.

We do hope to keep the new yellows available for the foreseeable future, but the supply chain here is a bit more complex than our other lasers, so it's a bit more difficult to predict. We're building 40 units in the first set, along with a few other wavelengths (405, 450, 488, 520, 561, 593.5 and 638) in the same host :)
That's understandable. These have been the hardest to get back into availability. Just let me know later on if you believe there will be modules available at the start of the new year. Hopefully by then I should have paid of my debt. I know you want to announce the price later but are these <$200 units still?

tinkertavernco

That's understandable. These have been the hardest to get back into availability. Just let me know later on if you believe there will be modules available at the start of the new year. Hopefully by then I should have paid of my debt. I know you want to announce the price later but are these <$200 units still?
We're doing our best to keep these affordable; unfortunately, the modules are not as cheap as they used to be. I will say though that they're not nearly as expensive as 589s were a few years ago!

I don't get how adding an "emerald" sensor makes these able to capture the 57x nm lasers as emerald, to me, is just green.

tinkertavernco

I don't get how adding an "emerald" sensor makes these able to capture the 57x nm lasers as emerald, to me, is just green.

So the "emerald" is actually more of a cyan color - it's a four color matrix instead of three. Most other sensors have two cells for green.

480px-RGBE_filter.svg.png

The way it works (as far as I understand) is that when the green is detected, but NOT the cyan, the camera knows it's in the yellow-green range.

So the "emerald" is actually more of a cyan color - it's a four color matrix instead of three. Most other sensors have two cells for green.

480px-RGBE_filter.svg.png

The way it works (as far as I understand) is that when the green is detected, but NOT the cyan, the camera knows it's in the yellow-green range.

All the work I did as an EE, including Vidicons...monochromatic video tubes that used a red, green or blue filter to get to white makes this seem senseless to me. Using a yellow filter in place of cyan would make far more sense as this would fall between green and red and would likely be no more than 110 degrees out of phase with those two colors. We used to use a vector scope to analyze the phase relationship between colors. If you have ever used one you would know what I'm talking about.

Well I don't know about all that........ but I tell you what counts..... Everyone's getting super cool yellow laser pointers to go with our awesome golden neon sunbeam laser pointers, yay us. :):D:p:cool:;):)