Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broken 400mW Blue Ray.

Alright, so I found a guy on hackforums.net named LaserMaster that was selling sick lasers. I bought a Blu-ray laser from him that he said is 400mW for $130. Now, he is inactive on the forums, and my laser is broken. It won't turn on, and whenever I try to twist the lens, the whole metal piece behind it twists as well. Anyone know what is wrong with it or how I can take it apart to look at it? It is in an UltraFire LED Flashlight host.

Update: Figured out how to unscrew the part where the components were and I've found that the wires are torn that connect to the diode (Guessing.) Is it safe for me to attempt to just soder them back on? And does it matter which one goes in which spot? (Black and Purple, left or right.)

Last edited:

AUS

What sort of laser is it?
Is the lens plastic and is the heatsink small? If so the lens may have melted.

If you have twisted the laser module you may have twisted the pins off the laser diode or damaged the driver circuit board.

Without pictures and/or someone looking at it it might be a bit hard to guess what the problem is. What country / state do you live in?

What sort of laser is it?
Is the lens plastic and is the heatsink small? If so the lens may have melted.

If you have twisted the laser module you may have twisted the pins off the laser diode or damaged the driver circuit board.

Without pictures and/or someone looking at it it might be a bit hard to guess what the problem is. What country / state do you live in?

Lens isn't melted, pins aren't off. The wires connected to the diode came off. I live in Texas, U.S.

AUS

Lens isn't melted, pins aren't off. The wires connected to the diode came off. I live in Texas, U.S.

Ah, well there's your problem!

YES it matters which way they go around! The wire colour means nothing, unless its a commercially made one, it depends on what colours the builder used.

if you search the forums you should find the pinouts for the laser diode, its probably a common one and I think the blu-rays are pretty well all the same (but check this). You can check it with a multimeter on "diode check" or an ohm meter.

You will need the pin out of the driver circuit board though. If its a common one you may find it on the forum, or it could be marked LD+ and LD-. Failing that you can connect a dummy load across it (a low ohm resistor) and measure it with a voltmeter to see which is + and which is -.

Blord

If there is a boost driver in the laser, you might have blown it too. Boost drivers without a load or diode goes in self-destruct mode.

Well, Im thinking about sending to someone that can fix it and resell it or something in return for a new laser or discount on one. Anyone interested?

AUS

I'd love to mate but I'm in a country where customs seize anything over 1mW if they find it. If it looks like a laser pointer chances are it won't make it....

I'd love to mate but I'm in a country where customs seize anything over 1mW if they find it. If it looks like a laser pointer chances are it won't make it....

Dang. I really want a new laser.

daguin

DarkArmyofOne burns another one :gun:

We ran Tyler off of here some time ago.
He is a total scam artist and his builds are crap

To hear that he is "inactive" at HackForum is good news
He had them fooled over there for awhile

I'll look at the laser for you, but expect both the diode and the driver to need replaced

I'll send you a PM with my address

Peace,
dave

Last edited: