Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bought a 1 Watt green laser, says it class 2 though on the warning label?

pyth0n2x2

I bought a 1000 milliwatt green laser, when it arrived the label said it has a power output of 1000 milliwatts, but below it says its class 2 ??

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Well, one of those is wrong. Point it at your hand and press the button for 5 seconds. Did it burn you? If not then it's not 1000mW. If it did burn you then it's almost certainly class IV. It's very likely to be hotter than class 2 though (1-5mW) unless you got ripped off quite badly.

What kind of laser is it and what did you pay?

Last edited:

pyth0n2x2

Hello, It does not burn me, its an Laser 303, And i paid 10$, It does shine as bright as a 1000mW, maybe the accumulator is really bad its a chinese 4000mAh battery. I tested it outside this night and it travelled about 2-3km, I could see the beam and pointer.
Update: I Recharged the battery and pointed it at my hand, after about 10 seconds i started to feel a warmth and it started tickling like putting your hand against an old TV screen

Last edited:

pyth0n2x2

After some more testing in a dark room and comparing the laser to videos of 350-500 mW lasers, I would definitely say this is a 500mW laser, I will try and find a gentec-eo sensor and see what the results are, but yeah, it is definitely not class 2

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Well, one of those is wrong. Point it at your hand and press the button for 5 seconds. Did it burn you? If not then it's not 1000mW. If it did burn you then it's almost certainly class IV. It's very likely to be hotter than class 2 though (1-5mW) unless you got ripped off quite badly.

What king of laser is it and what did you pay?
Even if it's a joke probably shouldn't tell people to burn themselves... People these days are dumb enough to do it

Hello, It does not burn me, its an Laser 303, And i paid 10$, It does shine as bright as a 1000mW, maybe the accumulator is really bad its a chinese 4000mAh battery. I tested it outside this night and it travelled about 2-3km, I could see the beam and pointer.
Update: I Recharged the battery and pointed it at my hand, after about 10 seconds i started to feel a warmth and it started tickling like putting your hand against an old TV screen
You know this how?
Again you know this how?
After some more testing in a dark room and comparing the laser to videos of 350-500 mW lasers, I would definitely say this is a 500mW laser, I will try and find a gentec-eo sensor and see what the results are, but yeah, it is definitely not class 2
Are you joking or are you for real?

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
A green '303? 80mW if you're lucky. $10 is about right.

Well, there you go. Do a google search for "Laser 303 LPM output." Don't just take it from me, but those are generally 50-100 mW. The power is overstated by the seller by a factor of 10-20x, and understated by the safety label by 100x.

There are no 1W lasers on the market for $10. If you want to check it with a meter, maybe someone near you can check.

Are you over 18 years old?

Also:

1. Never point your laser at yourself or other people/animals/anything flammable!
I'm sure @WizardG was joking, not realizing you'd be silly enough to follow through. If that was a real 1 W laser, you would definitely have been wishing you had not done that!

2. Even with a 50 mW laser, protect your eyes!
It might not seem that bright, but because the beam is focused into a small area, even a tiny fraction of a second flash could lead to permanent eye damage.

Those 303s are all DPSS lasers and the wavelength is 532nm. I have many of these and most are around 80 mW.