Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue/Violet laser things.

soo i wanna get a blue laser. im still a bit confused why they called it blu-ray and not violet-ray.:thinking: i think thats why they called it blu-ray and not blue-ray.

so to the point now...

so i wanna get a (lets call it blue for now) blue laser.
first off i wanna build it. (unless you think different)
the thing is i wanna have a visible beam and it must burn things.
but i think: Visible=Burn and Burn=Visible right??
so what diode (module whatever) do i need?
and what driver do i need?
and a cool housing of course...

so i hope you can help me or give me the links where i can find the required information.

greetz

BTW: the only experience ive had with lasers is the green Build of Jayrob.

Because blu-ray sounds cooler in advertising than vio-ray. Anyway, 405nm violet is NOT blue, and never will/appear to be.

Building your own is the best way to go, just get a jayrob pocket mini kit, you can get all the parts except the diode included in your kit. Buy an SF-AW210 diode from modwerx for $20, you can also get aixiz modules and lenses from them as well.

Last, do some research around the forum and find the info your looking for and need, such as diode pinouts and recomended current, ect...

Of course if you want real blue instead of violet you can buy a 445nm projector diode($50) for your build, just keep the current low to limit the power output on your first...

soo i wanna get a blue laser. im still a bit confused why they called it blu-ray and not violet-ray.:thinking: i think thats why they called it blu-ray and not blue-ray.

so to the point now...

so i wanna get a (lets call it blue for now) blue laser.
first off i wanna build it. (unless you think different)
the thing is i wanna have a visible beam and it must burn things.
but i think: Visible=Burn and Burn=Visible right??
so what diode (module whatever) do i need?
and what driver do i need?
and a cool housing of course...

so i hope you can help me or give me the links where i can find the required information.

greetz

BTW: the only experience ive had with lasers is the green Build of Jayrob.

... because the diode comes from a Blu-Ray player, which uses a 405nm laser to read the discs.

Sorry, but 450mw of 405 is about as bright as 25mw of green. You're never going to get very much visability out of blu-ray. Though it is the best choice for burning. I'd say the perfect mix of visibility, and burning would be 445 for sure. Just make sure you have goggles for whatever wavelength you get!

Sorry, but 450mw of 405 is about as bright as 25mw of green. You're never going to get very much visability out of blu-ray. Though it is the best choice for burning. I'd say the perfect mix of visibility, and burning would be 445 for sure. Just make sure you have goggles for whatever wavelength you get!

Why is it best for burning? Doesn't burning capability depend only on the functional wattage of the laser?

For the most part yes, but not always. 405nm can burn lighter colors much better than any other popular wavelength of the same power.

Thats a good way to put it! 445nm really is the best of both colors in one(violet and blue), it appears with a purpleish hue to it and fluorescences different materials just like 405nm... I can almost imagine 445nm as what several hundred kW of 405nm would look like...

i think they were trying to copy bluetooth :D at least in name.

Why is it best for burning? Doesn't burning capability depend only on the functional wattage of the laser?
445nm at the moment is both cheap and powerful. a 50$ diode can easily do 500mW, and its also a fair bit more visible than 405nm. remember also beam diameter/focal points for burning.

Last edited:
i think they were trying to copy bluetooth :D at least in name.

Nope... they just called it that because it's a "blue laser", even though it looks more violet. It's right at the boundary between blue and violet, but Violet-Ray sounds stupid.

Nope... they just called it that because it's a "blue laser", even though it looks more violet. It's right at the boundary between blue and violet, but Violet-Ray sounds stupid.

You're completly wrong there. It's on the boundary between UV, and violet. It is nowhere close to blue, but yes, violet-ray sounds dumb lol.

ok now im a bit confused here.
so do i need a 405nm or an 445nm??
explain....

jusr regarding the 405nm:

so i only need the jayrob pocket mini kit with the 'Hot' option and a diode. and then im done??

ok now im a bit confused here.
so do i need a 405nm or an 445nm??
explain....

jusr regarding the 405nm:

so i only need the jayrob pocket mini kit with the 'Hot' option and a diode. and then im done??

No, your far from done, you need to do some research around the forum on how to accomplish your task, no one will spoon feed it to you, you need to learn on your own like we all did. Start with all the stickies then check out the tutorial section and even jayrob's FS threads have build tips. You can get everything you need from jayrob except the diode if you wish, including his famous g1 lenses...

ok.

now i hate and like you at the same time:p

for not telling me the stuff

but on the other hand its better to find out for my self.

so i just buy the pocket mini with the "hot" option. without even buying the diode yet. and then starting reading the stickies.... and learn more about it. i thought i was done after i graduated... not anymore. but its fun so i dont care.

but its hard now to ask questions because i dont know if i can find them in the stickies... but i will read them first and then come back for more questions...

thanks

ok.

now i hate and like you at the same time:p

for not telling me the stuff

but on the other hand its better to find out for my self.

so i just buy the pocket mini with the "hot" option. without even buying the diode yet. and then starting reading the stickies.... and learn more about it. i thought i was done after i graduated... not anymore. but its fun so i dont care.

but its hard now to ask questions because i dont know if i can find them in the stickies... but i will read them first and then come back for more questions...

thanks

here is a couple of things that are handy for getting started.
this should, for the most part, be enough to finish a hot build
i thought post number 5 of this explained the diode/module/lense situation quite well. doesnt mention heat sinks though
at the moment the most beneficial thing is probably a general summary.
host houses laser components. battery powers laser diode. driver regulates current to the diode (and connects to diode, theres guides on that easy to find here). switch is self explanatory. diode provides light, can overheat easily and so needs to be in a module. module holds diode and lense (diode needs to be pressed into module). lense converges light from diode into a beam, and screws into the front of the module (other side to diode). module goes inside a heatsink, which helps conduct heat away from the diode. heatsink usually screws/inserts into front of host. im new to this myself and may be wrong but i think thats all right