Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best divergence 1-2watt 445/450/455nm diode ?

Hi guys,

I have done tons of research, yet still i wonder, which blue diode can give the best smallest diameter spot focused to infinity. I am sure you will have some on hand experince.

Obviously lens will play a huge role but in general what diode is best for that?

Single modes are out of the question, considering i would like power around 1 watt.
Also i guess all the 2+watts are also pretty huge with their bar shape "dot"

So i wonder which diode in 1-2watt range is considered best for some eye pleasing dot.

I have seen guy ower youtube reviewing jlasers model which should be using
A140 diode vs some 5watt diode.
that a140 seemed pretty good to me. Smaler on the picture.
https://postimg.cc/jLQysS7k

So a140 vs m140 vs sharp vs osram....... ? Any ideas based on your experiences?

Thank you

Last edited:

kecked

Spot size desired? You can design to collimate anything. The desired divergence will depend on how big you want the resulting beam to be. All multi ode diodes generally suck. I found the red worst then green then blue and violet the tightest. Also what is the application needing 1 w focused at infinity. Sure hope it isn’t astronomy. That’s one powerful beam in the sky. I just wonder because it’s a lot of power to be flinging around collimated to infinity.

I am looking for just simple colimation. G8 or 3e. No fancy expanders or stuff. Simple build. As enthusiast for my growing collection which is all aimed at nice tight dots. I understand the power and responsibility. Just want to point to a diode whith nicer profile amongst so many options

Last edited:
If you can still find any of the M140 diodes those will get you to 2 watts easily with a decent spot. A G2 lens will work at short distances and a G8 for much longer ones.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I have hundreds if not thousands of the M140s available.
And they work good I can attest. The one I bought from you a few years ago is still working great. My meter only goes to 1999mw and it definitely goes past it.

I have hundreds if not thousands of the M140s available.
Sure i saw your sale.
one thing, A-Type vs M-type is basicaly just difference in wattage reached 1,8 vs 2watts?
because i think at those povers 200mW doesnt make much difference visibility vise.

another question. dot above square vs. no dot vs. japan? what difference those make?

The Osram PLTB450B may be slightly better than the M-140 as per the tightest spot at distance and there is also a Sharp diode......that said the M-140 is likely the most robust as far as standing up to being overdriven, however I have not tested the Sharp diode for it's divergence as far as I can remember.

Now if you want the most powerful for this average beam spec, then a NDB7875 will do 3W and has the same basic beam dimensions/divergence.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.png

Last edited:
The Osram PLTB450B may be slightly better than the M-140 as per the tightest spot at distance and there is also a Sharp diode......that said the M-140 is likely the most robust as far as standing up to being overdriven, however I have not tested the Sharp diode as far as I can remember.

Now if you want the most powerful for this average beam spec, then a NDB7875 will do 3W and has the same basic beam dimensions/divergence.

The Osram PLTB450B may be slightly better than the M-140 as per the tightest spot at distance and there is also a Sharp diode......that said the M-140 is likely the most robust as far as standing up to being overdriven, however I have not tested the Sharp diode as far as I can remember.

thank you so much.
actualy i will be more than happy with 1watt and nice dot profile.

If you want a good looking beam more than total output power, then why not a nice single mode such as a Sharp 488nm or a 520nm ? 150-200mw of either is plenty bright at night and with a long focal length lens will give you a very tight looking point/spot in the far field.

Also the Sharp 488nm is a real chameleon as the way our brains perceive it depends a lot on what colors are adjacent to it.
For instance it looks sky blue next to this brush, but next to a 445-455nm blue beam it looks downright green and sometimes its a blue/green aquamarine, teal sort of deal, but always a nice beam.
Note: These are listed as 55mw but will happily do 150mw all day long.
SANY3751.JPG

SANY6715.JPG

I got 80mw 450nm diode and fall in love with the color.
Thats why i would like it to be more visible. Maybe i could try to overdrive it. But yet i am still not sure if it is sharp or osram. I drive it at 200mA without any problem with heat. So it might realy be osram diode. So i could push it little more. Like 270mA or so.

I also have 488nm and i observed same fenomena. Next to 450nm it became more greenish. I couldnt belive how my eyes are playing with my perception. Then after a while it resets and i can see it again to be turqoise.

Back when those Sharp 488nm diodes first came out I tested many for wavelength and output power. Most fell between 483nm and 492nm. Some iterations were even higher falling above 490nm. I spent many hours testing Sharp diodes as they became available to us from the first ones that were around 475nm to the 505nm diodes. I wish I had purchased more of those 475nm diodes as they were never made again after that first offering. I only kept one for myself that measured 477nm.

I got 80mw 450nm diode and fall in love with the color.
Thats why i would like it to be more visible. Maybe i could try to overdrive it. But yet i am still not sure if it is sharp or osram. I drive it at 200mA without any problem with heat. So it might realy be osram diode. So i could push it little more. Like 270mA or so.

I also have 488nm and i observed same fenomena. Next to 450nm it became more greenish. I couldnt belive how my eyes are playing with my perception. Then after a while it resets and i can see it again to be turqoise.

The color is different from individual diode to diode, I have 4 of them and 3 are basically the same, but 1 is really special, it's a real sky blue looking color.
I drive my 488's @ 250-350ma and they happily do around 120mw to 150mw with a G8 lens, you can go as far as half a watt but you won't get much more output, but if you get a color shift near the limit I might have to buy some more and test that. :)

-------
p.s. I ordered a Sharp 2w 450nm to test again, I know I had one before, however I can't remember if it was much different compared to an M-140...... I do remember that I killed it with too much current.

Last edited: